Rochester area ponds

• chirp
    Rochester

Anybody been out on any of the area ponds lately? Any reports?

chirp
    Rochester

Which one you been hitting?

tbrooks11

the biggest one. Its just north of mohn’s park

BullsNeyes
    Rochester, MN

Silver Creek has been good in the afternoon.

shockers
    Rochester

I’ve been to Cascade a few times last couple weeks. And yes, for sure can catch a bunch of crappies usually. Depending on the time of day etc. For me, most have been small (I think I caught the same 7 inch crappie 30 times). But fun and good practice. I’m not sure what you mean by “mohn’s park”. I’ve been fishing the 2nd pond as you start from the west (the one past the private lake as you walk east).

silver creek has some? I tried last month and caught a bunch of tiny perch but that was it. Good to hear there might be some activity still out there.

Chester has been a dead sea for me, but I’ve heard some guys have had ok luck there.

angleanddangle88

I have heard that the pond closest to the parking lot houses some 6-7 pound bass and some pike? can anyone confirm this?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Its funny how those darned bass grow.

That piece of water has some nicer fish in it but I have never seen a bass over 4 pounds there regardless of season. The crappies can be slightly larger than the 10″ variety found in the lake north of this one. Sunfish are larger but larger is a really relative term.

Pike? Never seen one or ever heard of any in any of the complex, but with mid-night fish relocation expertsat work I suppose they could be in the lakes.

Fish size depends on a couple of things with food being the most obvious to people. Genetics comes into play at some point and I just don’t think the genetics are there for large fish. The lakes have been around for a long, long time and if the lakes were capable of producing big fish we’d be seeing them.

On the genetics thing. Lake George, across from Trader Joes, has some huge crappies and sunfish in there. There are also small sizes of the same fish. Bass and some pike wander in George along side of a few catfish. You can see where forage is a problem in the lake by looking at the fish. Bass of what would be a pound anywhere is are 1/2 pound and tend to be all head. Crappies and sunfish tend to show up in great lengths but are thin. Real thin. But the genetics allow for them to achieve the lengths that make them trophy size. The Cascade complex doesn’t share those genetics. Too bad they don’t because we could see some super sized fish out there at the Manor.

angleanddangle88

thanks for the info! the biggest fish i have caught there is probably about a 3 pounder, i ran into a guy there who said that he caught a 7 pound bass there. and as for the pike i have fished using some pretty heavy line and been bit clean off

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.