Zumbro ice 2011/12

• 72starcraft
    Rochester, MN

Anybody have the ice conditions?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

There was a piece in the paper last night that mentioned a few hopping on the ice somewhere and walking out to fish, but the ice was still real thin. Where the fish are going to be found you’ll have to cross some seriously deep water that has current and going thru won’t have positive results. I’d wait until some real cold has set things up better, maybe by Sunday, and then I suggest you go out light and dressed like you’re doing a flood rescue.

72starcraft
    Rochester, MN

Was out to Zumbro on Friday, ice by Fishermann’s Inn was 2-3in and about the same by Ponderosa supper club. Seems to be nice solid ice. I didn’t adventure out too far to get by the current. With little to no snow on the ice we need to remember about the expansion and break up with the increase in temperatures. Won’t be long and I’ll be out. Good fishing!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Thanks for the update

crappies

just wondering if anybody has an ice update for zumbro. anybody fishing out there? thanks in advance

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

They are starting to fish the lake a bit more. I heard of wheelers on the ice now and would not be surprised to see some shacks on the ice near the old foundation and along the highbanks.

crappies

thanks for the ice report! hopefully the ice holds threw the warmer weather and wind. thanks again tom!

markmoran
    Rochester MN

someone went through Wed. night near Ponderosa, at least that is where he ended up after

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That sure sucked for him.

The problem I have with travel on that lake is that nothing is static. Springs can pop up anywhere at any time. Three years ago there were two such springs flagged that were not there the year before nor the year following. The high water events out ther change the lakebed evry time we see high water. Then consider the temps we’ve had and the fact that those temps not only raise the water temp from run-off but also increase the flow rate.

I feel safer on the Mississippi River than I do on Lake Zumbro. Too bad the guy went in, but then too if he’s been on and around the lake for so many years he should not have taken the ice for granted.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.