River Fish ID Please…

• kwp
    Eden Prairie

Caught this fish on the Mississippi River last night. It wacked a purple pulse R pretty good too. It looks like some kind of Sucker but none I have ever caught before.

Attachments:
    1. imagejpeg_0.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Carp family, not sure which. (my opinion)

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Some sort of redhorse sucker. Not sure which one, but NOT a carp.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I agree. Redhorse, not carp.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Don’t know what it is but that thing is gorgeous.

Always hear from people that white sucker is the best for cooking, came to mind right away when I saw your pic. But then again looks so shiner-y crazy
    http://gallery.nanfa.org/v/members/Nate+Tessler/nativenorthamericanfreshwaterfish/catostomidae_001/Catostomus/White+Sucker/White+Sucker_+Kishwaukee+River_+09-28-07.JPG.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=2

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2015-10-15-19-31-47.png

Henpecked

Looks like a Silver Redhorse.

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

Did it some emerald green colored spot on each scale? If so I’ve caught a bunch on the Criox this year. Still not positive which sucker but thought silver redhorse

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Did it some emerald green colored spot on each scale? If so I’ve caught a bunch on the Criox this year. Still not positive which sucker but thought silver redhorse

I did a Google Image search on Silver Redhorse and I think that what it is now. It did have some emerald green on top too. Fins were very slightly orange.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Does anyone know how rough fish in general mount?

Still think some sweet looking fish like that on a wall would be fantastic. Pass on the eyes, northern, etc. Get a cool catfish up, mirror carp, silver like you caught there, even a big ol sheepie woot

hnd

I love catching a sucker here or there. grew up fishing for suckers with my grandfather on the pinebog river on the thumb of michigan. the sucker would run first than the steelhead. before the steelhead run, we’d have the river all to ourselves usually catching 40-50 sucker everytime out. as youngsters it was a blast. every once in a while, an early steelhead would pick up that worm and it would be like pulling in a pickup truck to us.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I like a good sucker bite to. Fun fish. Lots of action. There tends to be a strong fall sucker bite. The upper croix has been going fantastic the last month. Was on the mississippi river north of Aitkin last weekend and some huge white sucker where biting. Things fight like a mule.

CaptainMusky

Does anyone know how rough fish in general mount?

Still think some sweet looking fish like that on a wall would be fantastic. Pass on the eyes, northern, etc. Get a cool catfish up, mirror carp, silver like you caught there, even a big ol sheepie woot

That would be a majestic mount with a 56″ Musky replica about to inhale it. -)

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Have caught a few goldens that looked pretty nice this summer. Nice golden sides with very bright red fins. Caught a huge white or golden last weekend that must of been pushing 8 to 10#s. Had me thinking need to keep track of the state records on some of these.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I used to always look forward to the Sucker run in April. It was some fun early action using an ultra light and a decent battle and a beautiful fish. I believe they were shortheads.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

RedHorse = great cut bait.
    Put a few sturgeon in the boat with one last weekend

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

RedHorse = great cut bait.

I think redhorse are great fun to catch, but yes, they make great cutbait, too. They also make pretty tasty fish patties!

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

I am thinking it is just a Blue sucker. They are a subspecies of a White or longnose sucker.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I am thinking it is just a Blue sucker. They are a subspecies of a White or longnose sucker.

I hope you are kidding. It is 100% silver redhorse. Blue suckers are quite different and extremely rare in MN.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.