Outboard mounting height

• cmack
    Solon, IA

I have a Ranger681vs and I’m wondering what the optimum mounting height for the outboard should be. When I purchased the boat (used)the motor was bolted through the middle hole (of 5 holes). I moved the motor up a hole to the 2nd from the bottom hole. I was wondering what others have their motors set at. Thanks.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

A lot of factors can dictate this height.
    weight
    prop pitch
    hp
    rpm
    water conditions you use it in

to make a long story short dialing it in takes field testing under your specs. making a hole change and watching rpm and speed.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Correct me if I’m wrong on this, but what I’ve read in journals and online says that the best way to find your motor height is to put it on plane at full throttle(a buddy driving) and walk to the back of the boat… your cap plate should be at the top of the water or just slightly above getting splashed. That is the point that will give you the least resistance in the water increasing holeshot and top speed. But like mark said it has a lot to do with your motor as well…I have yet to test my previous statement with my outboard yet, hopefully this summer.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.