Need Gas!!

• rilose
    Kentucky Lake

I have a 1990 Ranger 396V with a 1989 Evinrude 200hp. I bought the boat used and have had it for about a year now. When I first put on the water I have a ROUGH time starting the motor. Once I get it running it run’s GREAT! It’s just the initial start-up.
    I deduced that it’s not getting fuel to the motor and the pump on the motor is having to suck the fuel through the fuel lines.
    After finding cracks in the line, I have replaced all the line from the toggle to the motor, including the inline fuel filter in the motor and the primer. While doing this I found a Fuel Filter (water separator) in behind the batteries. (I had no clue it was there).
    Today I’ve tried priming the motor to fill up the new fuel filter. After squeezing on the primer for 30 minutes, I have no fuel in the new filter. I’ve double checked all the lines (no crimps) and not finding any leaks in the new line. I’m dumbfounded. Is it possible that the Fuel Filter (water separator) could be preventing flow?
    I had the problem before putting new lines on and still have it now…. I’ve ruled out the line going from the toggle switch to the tanks since I have two tanks and it does it on both, almost has to be this water separator, but I don’t know anything about them….. suggestions??

BBKK
    IA

Bypass it. I had one on my boat (dealer suggest it) and ran into nothing but problems. I eventually just cut the damn thing off and bypassed it, running a direct line from the ball to the motor.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I always add gas to the filter before screwing back on. Like 80% full or so. Give it a try.

Also, since you mentioned replacing lines, make sure the arrow on your primer bulb is pointing towards the motor.

-J.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I have yet to see any type of issues relating to the fuel/water separator. I know when priming new motors it takes an aweful long time in order for that filter to fill doing it by hand.
    There is a few things I can think of to check.

First one being is the arrow on the primer bulb the correct way. The arrow should point towards the line going to the motor.

Also may want to double check that there is no air gap on the filter.

I have not heard of this but its possible that on the inlet line to the water separator is plugged somewhat.

In order to elimiate if that is the issue, connect the 2 fuel lines together by passing the separator and see if that puts fuel into the motor. If it does that says thats the issue. I would strongly suggest that once you figure out if that is the issue or not to keep it in there wether its the same one or a new one. Gas these days is BAD.

rilose
    Kentucky Lake

Okay the primer and the inline filter are both directional. I have checked and double checked them both and they are correct.

I guess my question now is, how often do those water separator filters need to be changed? I’m guessing this one has never been changed. Would it limit the flow after a period of time or should I go ahead with some of the above suggestions of checking the other lines?

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

I had the same issue with mine earlier this year changed out all the lines, filter, the ball and checked every hose on the boat for cracks or pinches, then it stll didn’t work so I tried sucking the gas out and putting racing gas in there and prestO it works. There are Certain gas stations that carry a special premium gas just for boats it’s sPendy but its better then having headaches at the boat launch trying to start your motor until your battery dies out on ya

herb
    6ft under

You shouldn’t need any special premium fuel for that engine. 87 octane should be fine. That engine is a cold blooded bugger and always takes a bit to warm up, even in hot summer weather. Jon J is right when he said to fill the new water/fuel separator filter at least 80% before attaching it to the mount. It’s a good time saver. And they should be changed yearly on average.

After squeezing the primer bulb a few times, is it holding pressure?

To satisfy your curiosity go ahead and bypass the filter and see what comes.

rilose
    Kentucky Lake

No not holding pressure. I can’t get it to prime hard at all. I haven’t changed the water separator out yet, was asking if that could be the problem? I’ve been pumping it about 50 times every 30 minutes for the past 3 hours and it still hasn’t filled up the inline fuel filter inside the motor.

herb
    6ft under

Don’t get mad at this but are you sure there is fuel in your tank?
    If so, change out the filter or just bypass it.
    I’m assuming your primer bulb is between the separator filter and the engine.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am not sure on your tank set-up, but I have this issue sometimes with mine..don’t know why, but it does this too. My tank is right under the motor, and where the hose goes down into the tank, it lays at around a 50′ angle, then a couple feet to the primer bulb. When I pump & it is not priming, if I lift the hose, where it attaches to the top of the tank area, to straight vertical coming off the top of the tank, it will start priming… don’t know why, but it works. If possible, give that a try Other than that, I would agree with priming the seperator with some fuel. I know when we change out the water/fuel seperator on a diesel truck at work, if you don’t do this, it will take forever and a day to start the engine…

rilose
    Kentucky Lake

Quote:

Don’t get mad at this but are you sure there is fuel in your tank?

lol That did hit me earlier. I was using the starboard tank and I know it’s low, so I switched to the port tank, it’s totally full.

I think I’ll try to by pass the separator for now to see it it works, if it does then I’ll see if I can get a new filter and hopefully that will fix it. I’ll post back with what I come up with.

Thanks so much for all your help everyone!!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Big G mentioned a good point. I know so of the yamaha primer bulbs are finiky and need to be held with the arrow pointing straight up in the air in order to prime from a dry line.

May want to give that a try also.

rilose
    Kentucky Lake

Quote:

Big G mentioned a good point. I know so of the yamaha primer bulbs are finiky and need to be held with the arrow pointing straight up in the air in order to prime from a dry line.

BINGO!!!! The primer I’m using is not a yamaha primer, it’s actually one I bought from a local marina. However I did as you suggested, due to the line length I was only able to get it to a 45` angle, with the out end above the in. 6 pumps and the primer was solid!!! I think I may go and spend a few extra $$ and get me a decent primer, thanks!!!

outdoor_guy
    Norway,Michigan (In DA UP)

I had a bad filter this spring. Turns out that the rubber seal area was bent slightly (probably in shipping)It was sucking air and would not prime. I Bypassed the filter to get by for the weekend. When I got home , I placed the filter on the table and noticed when
    I picked it up, the wet ring from the oiled seal area only left a ring on ~ 3/4 of the ring. (Took back to where I bought it and they replaced it)

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I read it worked better to have the bulb vertical so I set mine up with about 8″ of hose from it to the motor connector and it works as advertised. I had problems with it on the floor.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Have the same issue with a Merc on our pontoon. Gotta hold the bulb so the arrow is pointed up to prime it.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Back to the water seperator thing for just a minute…my dealer recommends annual replacement. Of course, I haven’t done that, but it’s starting to show. Agree, gas these days is bad and good fuel hard to come by…don’t bypass the seperator, but get it replaced. It will help too…

nick
    Lakeville, MN

First off come on guys those filters are Cheap, Mine’s “expensive” at $30 or so, drop in the bucket for the cost of these motors… IIRC I think they are under $15 for a most of them.

Secondly, Maybe your fuel pump won’t love you, buy I’ve cranked a motor and that’s helped in a situation where I couldn’t get gas, and it worked easy and quick, not really something you want to make a habit of, but it’s worked for me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.