Ranger 17ft Fisherman Opinions

• Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

After a well placed glass of wine for the wife I think I have approval for a larger boat. I’ve looked at Bass Boats, but with 2 little ones there isn’t yet enough room for them, and I find the wave conditions too limiting.

Enter the Ranger Fisherman series. What are the owner opinions on these? I’ll be stuck with an early 2000s model which is fine by me. To me these seem to fill a perfect balance of a family boat and fishing multispecies rig.

Appreciate any thoughts here. Used values look solid

john23
    St. Paul, MN

The 681vs and 690vs/692vs boats are awesome. Cult classics for sure. I’ve never been in a 617, but everything I’ve heard is that they’re great little boats with bad storage. If you can fine a clean 690vs or 692vs with a good motor you could end up pretty happy. I have a 681vs and it’s super versatile but small. I still wouldn’t trade it for anything in the same price range. Have fun!

FryDog62

There is a very nice looking 1999 690VS (last year it was made I believe) available on CL in Estherville, Ia.

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

690, good riding fast hull. Storage layout is not what some care for. Do yourself a favor and stay away from 620 pre 2000. The gas tank was forward under the front deck in this model. It was tough to get the bow to rise and as such is not a great boat in rough water.

Obviously motors should be a concern as well, Ficht of that vintage (late 90’s) and early optimax had a lot of problems. Find an 02 619 with a 200 Yamaha HPDI and you will give yourself the best odds to have a reliable used rig. Not fast but capable and dependable.

FryDog62

A few 681/618 VS out there too but can be a roll of the dice on motors. Don’t be afraid to re-power if you can afford it. No wood in the transoms and hull should last as long as a new motor.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Frydog, do you have a link to the 690vs in IA? They usually go pretty quick if they’re prices fairly.

mojogunter

My ex brother in-law has a 690 and it is fine in smooth conditions, but in big waves I hate the way it handles. With the livewell along the port side, the boat falls off to that side in big waves. If you rarely fish big water it will be a non issue for you. If you do fish big water keep that in mind.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

It’s rare to hear that someone doesn’t like the way the 690 handles big water, but every person and every boat setup is a bit different. They are sensitive to props and weight distribution for sure.

Frydog, I repowered my 1998 681vs with a new 135HO last year. Sometimes I think I’d like a bigger boat but not often — I really love fishing out of it.

Doug, good luck with your search!

FryDog62

It’s rare to hear that someone doesn’t like the way the 690 handles big water, but every person and every boat setup is a bit different. They are sensitive to props and weight distribution for sure.

Frydog, I repowered my 1998 681vs with a new 135HO last year. Sometimes I think I’d like a bigger boat but not often — I really love fishing out of it.

John, send a pic or PM if you have one of your boat. I’m debating new vs. used but I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a 618VS but haven’t ruled out a 681VS. Enjoy seeing the various hulls, motors, rigging…

Thx —

mojogunter

I will say that the 690 has the kicker mounted on the port side too, because my former brother in-law isn’t very bright. Pair that with a portly passenger and in big waves it is terrible. I would guess moving the kicker to starboard would help a bit.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

John, send a pic or PM if you have one of your boat. I’m debating new vs. used but I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a 618VS but haven’t ruled out a 681VS. Enjoy seeing the various hulls, motors, rigging…

Thx —
    [/quote]

For your fishing style I 100% guarantee you would LOVE a 681VS. The biggest mistake I ever made was selling mine. I had a 135 Optimax and it was great. If you can find one put a swivel on the drivers seat and you will be good to go.

Attachments:
    1. old-computor-854.jpg

2. old-computor-849.jpg

3. old-computor-850.jpg

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

I have heard horror stories about the OptiMax. Throttle position sensor is the only issue?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

In 10 years I had a wiring harness burn, other then that perfection. Course I can’t speak for others. If I still had the boat and was re-powering it would be a 4 stroke.

mojogunter

I believe it was the early big V6 optimax 175hp and bigger that had issues. I have 2 friends that have 135hp’s and one had the main bearing for the lower unit seize and the other had a fuel rail line leak and I think normal impeller replacement. Opti’s have been really solid for years now.

I have heard horror stories about the OptiMax. Throttle position sensor is the only issue?

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Yep – the 135 opti has always been solid. Great motor!

FryDog62

In 10 years I had a wiring harness burn, other then that perfection. Course I can’t speak for others. If I still had the boat and was re-powering it would be a 4 stroke.

Great looking boat you had. I agree if I could find the right 681/618 it might be the perfect boat for me. I go back/forth between that or buying new. Wouldn’t mind the used route but the 2-3 I’ve seen needed to be re-powered and probably a new trailer. By the time you add it up… Tough call.

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I just acquired a 2001 ranger 681vs w/ 135 opti. I’m looking to make some comfort adjustments as others have said. I would like some info on how to make the driver seat swivel and some info on making deck extensions front and rear. Thanks guys.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

and some info on making deck extensions front and rear.

I built a front deck extension on my 618 out of wood, few coats of paint and then carpeted. Turned out Ok. If I were to do it again, I’d have this company custom build the deck. Click around on the website for examples.

http://www.justencase.com

-J.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.