Rain

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I got a whopping 0.25 of an inch. Only 6 inches behind now since May 1.

Minnehaha Creek is on the verge of drying up again for the third straight summer unless a monsoon arrives.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My awesome town only allows watering twice a week this year so I watered HEAVY on my day yesterday then of course almost 1/2 inch last night. shock

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Coming down in buckets down here in Farmtown.
    Heading over to cruise night for Pan-O-Prog shortly so I hope it slows soon.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My awesome town only allows watering twice a week this year so I watered HEAVY on my day yesterday then of course almost 1/2 inch last night. shock

Do you live in Russia?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’m already scared of the city water bill. flame doah and I only water the garden.

queenswake
    NULL

Besides what the lack of rain is doing to my yard, garden, trees, etc, I also just miss a good ol’ fashioned rainy day! One where I can just hole up catching up on TV or putz around in the shop. When it’s sunny and hot every single day, I feel like I need to be outside taking advantage of it. And it’s been sunny and hot every summer day for the past couple of years.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

New drought monitor released this morning now shows patches of red which is “extreme” drought. There’s no coming back from severe drought by the winter now and crops in these areas are essentially toast. Especially with a heatwave coming next week. St Cloud, Rochester, and the northeast Twin Cities are now in this category. It does not include last night’s rain.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?MN

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

New drought monitor released this morning now shows patches of red which is “extreme” drought. There’s no coming back from severe drought by the winter now and crops in these areas are essentially toast. Especially with a heatwave coming next week. St Cloud, Rochester, and the northeast Twin Cities are now in this category. It does not include last night’s rain.

The crops in our area look awful. Corn in the field I hunt is UGLY

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Oh I can believe that. Whenever I head north anywhere they look withered. Its unfortunate but every farmer knows the risk associated with agriculture. When I went southwest of the metro last week for work the crops there actually looked pretty good and some of the corn was starting to tassle.

FinnyDinDin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Oh I can believe that. Whenever I head north anywhere they look withered. Its unfortunate but every farmer knows the risk associated with agriculture. When I went southwest of the metro last week for work the crops there actually looked pretty good and some of the corn was starting to tassle.

Don’t worry about the farmers. They have federally backed crop insurance. They’ll be just fine.

I just got back from traveling in Colorado. It was more green in Denver than in minneapolis. Pretty rare for that to be the case in mid July. They have had more rain than us since spring.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It was more green in Denver than in minneapolis. Pretty rare for that to be the case in mid July. They have had more rain than us since spring.

I have a friend who lives there and yes he has relayed the same information. I think the entire state of Colorado is drought free right now which hasn’t happened in many years.

CaptainMusky

The problem isnt the farmers losing money its the fact that it all trickles down to the rest of us when it happens. That money has to come from somewhere. Last year with the record low levels on the Mississippi shipping containers full of grains were stranded and led to massive shortages and skyrocketing costs. These things dont just resolve themselves and the happy farmer comes out OK in the end, its the rest of us who feel the majority of the pain. I mean, regular grocery bills have gone up like 76% in the last 2 years.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I drove from Cloquet to West Glacier and back the week of the 4th.
    1130 miles straight across on Hwy 2 each way. I have to say that crops almost the entire way looked to be in good to very good shape. The fields of canola and grains were awesome in some places (the canola has bright yellow flowers that contrast with the green of the grain in the alternate fields next to one another) and went on for miles.
    The corn that I saw was looking pretty good also.
    And the ducks in the potholes all along NoDak and Eastern Montana, wow is all I can say. No idea if this is a good year or not, but we saw ALOT.
    Good to see the water as the last time I was in NW North Dakota pheasant hunting in 2018, it was all dried up and they were even cutting the dried up cattail sloughs.
    NWS shows we got 2.36 inches yesterday here in Cloquet.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Holy cow I got over 2 inches of rain last night in my gauge. Came down in buckets around 1am. Bout freakin’ time

CaptainMusky

Well that was one way to wake up this morning! About 5 AM the biggest flash of lightning followed immediately with a HUGE BOOM shook my neighborhood. 5 minutes later sirens coming down my street with ambulances and fire trucks. Neighbors house got struck!
    I think my wife must have emptied the rain gauge before I went out because there was only like .15″ in it. Seemed like we should have gotten more than that.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

dang hope all is ok withthe neighbors Captain musky. sounds l like new london area got hit hard. my SIL @ BIL have a camper at old wagon campground and a tree destroyed there camper. heard reports of docks and boat lifts being uprooted.

here we got 1/2 inch of rain!!!!

JEREMY
    BP

I had 2.5″ in my gauge this morning. My dad 6 miles west has 2 gauges he said one has 3.5″ and one had 4. That should help my sweetcorn.

CaptainMusky

Yeah that was crazy! They had the street blocked off for a while, but it was clear by the time I left. I will have to investigate whose house it was tonight. I like a good storm, but all the damage they can cause is frustrating!

ThunderLund78

It was perfect here in the south metro! The big line of storms coming in from the Northwest at about 1:30 AM weakened just enough to not have hail and only moderate wind. Steady pour for at least an hour then the second wave came through about 5:00 AM and was about the same. 2.5″ of good steady rain over a 4-5 hr period. I might even be able to mow for the first time in 5 weeks by the weekend.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I had 2.5″ in my gauge this morning. My dad 6 miles west has 2 gauges he said one has 3.5″ and one had 4. That should help my sweetcorn.

Thanks Jeremy, I was wondering how much we got. It was downpouring at 5 am and pretty much done by 630.

Jimmy Jones

My digital gauge had 1.49″ at 8 this morning, but during the last storm when we got any significant rain it measured zero so I’m not sure I trust its measurements right now. I have batteries that I was going to get on the roof and replace today but its still raining so maybe tomorrow.

CaptainMusky

Jimmy I had one of those a while back and it went wonky on me and what happened was a little green ash seed had fallen into it and jammed up the mechanism. If yours works like mine did there is like a teeter totter inside and it tips back and forth as the rain falls and drains the water out the bottom.
    I have an old school one now that is an official NWS one capable of holding 13″ of rain.

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

2.6″ in the guage (plus a bonus grasshopper) extreme southern Carver County. We’re just NW of Belle Plaine. Heard Cologne area got way more but Waconia way less…go figure

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Zero rain for pushing 2 weeks now here, 2 chances in the next 5 days (I hope they are not slim and none)!

JEREMY
    BP

Thanks Jeremy, I was wondering how much we got. It was downpouring at 5 am and pretty much done by 630.

Guy I work with lives about half way between us. He said he had 2.5″ as well just a bit my way of East Union.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

83/100s in southwest Hennepin County. I was going to water the garden today, but no longer.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Fight through the first 12 seconds to the purpose of the video.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Oh man is it getting butt ugly outside. I feel for people that gotta work in this stuff!! doah

Umy
    South Metro

Man, we’ve come a long way in terms of “entertainment” in this country.
    Probably couldn’t pay many people to come see this these days. ( I like it though – love the old movies ) yay

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 362 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.