Rain

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Just in time for my long range weekend hunting plan!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Just in time for my long range weekend hunting plan!!

it depends on where……last night it didnt look like northern mn was going to see alot?????? but who knows, they only got yesterdays weather half right!!!! whistling rotflol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

it depends on where……last night it didnt look like northern mn was going to see alot

That’s correct, from what I saw, the northern 1/3 of the state is not supposed to see any of this. The line may shift but right now it looks like everywhere south of about Duluth looks wet for couple days. South Dakota looks REALLY wet according to the European model.

CaptainMusky

Never fails. Stearns county has a big swath of 2″ projections but the NE corner I am in is not in it. Its like we are in a black hole.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There looks to be a slow-moving incoming low pressure system arriving in the southern half of MN starting Thursday night and exiting sometime on Saturday. 2-4 inches of rain is possible across the entire South Dakota, MN, and Wisconsin region.

This is the type of moisture that is greatly beneficial when it falls steady over a couple days, rather that a quick down pour. Not good for harvesting crops though. This is going to delay that, again.

Our leaser got the last of the beans out Monday, and turned the dirt last night until daybreak to get caught up. His crew was hoping to start on the corn next week but I’m going to assume 2″ of slow soaking rains will push him off a week. The drier the better when they go turning dual front combines on gravel accesses.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Never fails. Stearns county has a big swath of 2″ projections but the NE corner I am in is not in it. Its like we are in a black hole.

sesms like its been that way all year!!!

surethat’ll change when it snows though!!!!! doah coffee

CaptainMusky

sure that’ll change when it snows though!!!!!

Isnt that the truth! I’ll take the moisture though, but we have been getting little bits here and there lately, but far less than the surrounding area. A buddy of mine got an inch of rain over the course of a days and I got .3″ and he is only a couple miles away from me.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

We’ve made a lot of gradual progress in reducing the severity of drought in many locations the past few weeks. This should be another good step in that direction before winter. Drought doesn’t go away quickly. It takes time to develop, and it takes time to get out of it too. Its certainly a lot better than last fall when we didn’t have a single drop of rain for 2 months.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Haven’t checked my gauge yet this morning but it has basically been raining all night since about 5pm yesterday, heavy at times.

Looking at the radar, its going to just rotate over the area all day and into tomorrow. Its a massive system that stretches all the way from Aitkin, MN down into central Missouri, and from Pierre, SD all the way eastward to Detroit. Some areas of eastern SD have recorded over 5 inches of rain.

Western SD in the Black Hills recorded several inches of snow last night!

Ross Gunderson

Really hope this rain pushes the fish up the river!

ThunderLund78

Just ran out and checked the gauge, about 1.75″ so far in far South Metro Area. If it keeps up like it is it will be well over 3″ by this afternoon. I actually love this weather.

CaptainMusky

Impressive rain for sure! Just dumped my gauge and there was an inch in it, but there was .2″ in it from the other day. Not the totals you guys are seeing, but I will take. Raining real nice right now. Funny thing is the radar estimated totals for my area were under .3″ inches so we were well above that.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Just checked my rain gauge from the house with binoculars. 2.5″
    Standing water in the low spot of my back yard.
    Southwest Hennepin County.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I didn’t get a chance to check the rain gauge last night or this morning, but I’d be shocked if we aren’t over 2″ already here along Pool 4.

Ideally we would get a good 8-10 days of dry weather with some wind now following this so people can get corn out. After that, another 3 day – 3″ rain event before the frost would really help too. The farmers who did NOT get their beans out and have corn too are going to be running around the clock until the snow is flying.

CaptainMusky

Yeah the farmers around me were hammering away at the corn the last 2 days. Made some headway, but a lot yet to do.

Ross Gunderson

2.5 inches here in maple grove and still coming down.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The farmers who did NOT get their beans out and have corn too are going to be running around the clock until the snow is flying.

That’s a fairly significant amount from what I’ve seen. I was driving around in Central MN for about 5 hours yesterday and I would say that about half the beans were still in the fields. Corn harvest was less.

Most recent crop harvest report as of Tuesday would suggest this. Soybeans harvested at 57% and corn harvested for grain at 31%.

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/Minnesota/Publications/Crop_Progress_&_Condition/2023/MN-Crop-Progress-10-10-23.pdf

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Yeah the farmers around me were hammering away at the corn the last 2 days. Made some headway, but a lot yet to do.

The guy that runs our land and his own has all the beans out, but has not touched any of about 1300 acres of corn.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m starting to think we should start the ark, this is crazy especially after this dry summer. Looked like one guy was out hunting by me this morning, hopefully it was ducks as I don’t think many deer will be moving in this wind and rain.

CaptainMusky

Woof, I havent seen ANY beans combined around me yet. I think because its been so dry they are about giving up on them, but hopefully they got enough corn out before this rain so they dont have to dry so much. Its really moist out there now!

JEREMY
    BP

Looked like one guy was out hunting by me this morning

Ive noticed one truck a few times where you got the nice one a few years ago but havent seen any deer to speak of. One little dinky one crossed in front of me the other day.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m at 3 inches and counting since yesterday at 5pm.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

How high’s the water momma?

The Bushell 10 X 50s say 3.5 inches and risin’!!

CaptainMusky

Up to 1.8″ now. Happy with that. Most we have had in any single event all year. Im sure we will tack on a few tenths yet as it winds down so should finish around 2″

LabDaddy1

Just move your property a couple miles. Simple.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

3 1/4 inches here. Honestly did not expect to be coming out of drought this fall after how dry it was this spring/summer.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I received 3/4 of an inch yesterday.

Totals were higher to the south. There is another front coming in tomorrow, and areas of North Dakota are expecting up to 8 inches of snow by Friday. shock

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I had 1.1″ in southwest Minnetonka.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Right around 2.25″ here along Pool 4 in the last week

For farmers who have their crops out, this rain is going to be the perfect timed help for soils that are dry at depth before things freeze.

For farmers who have crops in the fields yet, this is a disaster after severe flooding in the Spring causing late planting….then severe drought all summer wiping out yields…and now inches of rain in a matter of 2 weeks making fields inaccessible.

Viewing 30 posts - 331 through 360 (of 362 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.