Rain

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Where is it?

Today marks the 17th consecutive day without so much as a measurable drop of rain here along the lower end of Pool 4. The river has dropped 2’ in 5 days.

Every little pop up shower has missed us. I’m not sure I could’ve picked a worse spring to plant more grass and transplant close to 100 – 2’ white pines. The house has 3 outside faucets and a 4th in the garage. All have triple splits with multiple lengths of hoses off each. Watering stuff is a minimum 3 beer job.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yeah after the great start to spring it has dried up and we could really use a few good downpours.

FinnyDinDin

Drought>flood>drought>flood…

Seems to be the recent cycle for the upper Midwest. One extreme to another.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You are dumping enough cash into that spread….grab some of those gambling winnings and get a sprinkler system put in.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

My grass is dry and crunchy looks like mid August

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Some areas have gotten rain recently, including this evening out west. I have recorded about an inch this entire month of May. 1/3 of that was early Tuesday morning.

Seems like the last few years now when the calendar turns to June, we go into a very hot and dry pattern for weeks. June is typically the wettest month of the entire year, so a major deficit during that period really sets us backwards and we don’t catch back up until the following winter/spring.

Sure hope that pattern isn’t starting again.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Meh…it’s on a well, and I’ve got a hoarding problem. There are currently 17 hoses out and didn’t have to buy a one. Bought 4 additional sprinklers total though, so not much of a financial investment. The biggest expense is probably the beer it takes to run and adjust nightly.

At some point I’ll maybe tread into the irrigation system mess…or it could just NOT be bone dry for 17 straight days. We’re on relatively heavy soil too. If people here locally are on sand their early crops are already in rough shape.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If people here locally are on sand their crops are starving

I believe that the majority of soybeans were recently just planted the past 10 days or so. But ya, they’re gonna need some moisture soon just to start growing…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    If people here locally are on sand their crops are starving

I believe that the majority of soybeans were recently just planted the past 10 days or so. But ya, they’re gonna need some moisture soon just to start growing…

One of our leasers grows 90 acres of sweet corn and sells to grocery stores. He had some in early enough to get a bit of snow on it in April when it was up. Ideally he likes to pick some by July 1. If it wasn’t for the center pivot on that piece, he’d be losing his behind this year. It’s thirsty.

Dan
    Southeast MN

My grass is dry and crunchy looks like mid August

I’ve thought the same thing when looking at some marks i made with my zero turn that shouldn’t be noticeable in a lush, hydrated spring. Already thinking about watching the height I cut to.

Bucky I know it’s a ways up river but near Welch we got a quick down pour as a storm blew through last night, otherwise everything has been dry, tilled garden forms cracks in the dirt every day.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

lots of isolated rain this week really ruining my week off on P4. hard to decide fishing early or late. today i got absolutely caught off guard on my drive home. oh well the fishing is Hot AF just like the weather

glenn57
    cold spring mn

yea here in central mn we could use some rain…..big time.

you canwater and water from a hose but nuttin makes things grow better with a good old rain from Ma nature!!!!!!1

JEREMY
    BP

We got like 3/8″ overnight monday. By mid morning it was dusty again.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

.25 inch early yesterday evening in Woodbury. That really lushed things up here.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Update: Heading into the 18th day with exactly 0.00″ of precipitation here. If we don’t get hit by a stray storm tomorrow, we will easily run it up to 21 days without so much as a drop.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

.25 inch early yesterday evening in Woodbury. That really lushed things up here.

You lucky SOB lol

queenswake
    NULL

I’m so glad I didn’t bother planting grass seed this spring again. The problem is that I didn’t last fall, either, since I would’ve had to water every day. Normally I put it down before a rainy stretch to get it a chance to soak. I refuse to put that much water down myself.

Seems like it’s been years since we’ve had the typical soaking spring rains and downpours.

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

I put down about 20K sq ft of seed a few weeks ago and it didn’t rain for two weeks after. So I countered it by pouring concrete and it rained that night…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I put down about 20K sq ft of seed a few weeks ago and it didn’t rain for two weeks after. So I countered it by pouring concrete and it rained that night…

jester Nice!

Charles

I have not seen any rain in Crosslake for a while lol.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Watering stuff is a minimum 3 beer job.

Haha now this is the type of yardwork I can get behind! We’ve gotten an inch or so in the last week, and between that and being gone over Memorial Weekend and activities the last couple nights, I will probably be making hay tonight mowing.

Coletrain27

Pouring right now at my place in Rochester

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m probably 35 miles away along the river, and debating on putting on more sunblock.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Its been really dry here in the Saint Cloud area. The last rain we had about a week ago didn’t hardly leave a trace in my rain gauge. The current forecast has some rain for 2 out of the next 4 days. I sure hope they are correct. I’ve been running the lawn sprinklers about every other day. The neighbor who does not have sprinklers is almost already all dry and brown. It normally doesn’t look this bad till late July or early Aug.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>

I’m probably 35 miles away along the river, and debating on putting on more sunblock.

Lmao good one bucky

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>

It only lasted about half hour and now it’s sunny and humid again

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Talk about lucky. We are getting hit again. I feel bad for those missing these little thunderbumpers.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I can’t believe it’s June 1st and we are this desperate for rain. Both at the house and the cabin. Crazy dusty, burned grass, and a thick layer of yellow pollen that keeps accumulating daily.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 362 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.