Productive Alternative rattle reel

• crappieguy

Picked up a clip-on rattle reel for an upcoming trip to leech. It come with some sort of line already on it, should I replace this or just add a leader to it?

Reed

Without knowing what the line is its tough to say yes or no. That being said I would reline it so you will know that you have the proper line for what you’re going for.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

If it’s a braid like tip up line, I would just add a swivel and leader.

Crappy Fisherman

I left the line that came on it for backing and ties coated tip up line to that added a snap swivel to attach pre rigged leaders that I keep on a hunk of pool noodle. It works great, very easy to change if you want to switch or get a bite off. The tip up line won’t tangle up.

Also pull the reel off and replace the nut on the shaft with a lock nut. It won’t back off and jam the reel.

McCord Stowater

Get rid of whatever line is on there and get yourself some cheap fly line ($3-5 for 50 yards). Neutral or slightly sinking buoyancy and a level taper. Fly line is a lot easier to hand-line with and is very knot resistant. That braided line will become a tangled mess in no time. Put a swivel on the end and tie a leader of whatever you want to the other side of the swivel (I always put 6′ piece of 10lb Fireline on the end for my leader).

Michael Nebelsick
    SE South Dakota

Not trying to pirate your thread, but McCord, where do you buy the fly line?

jmaj101
    Hastings,MN

I took off that line and just put coated tip up line on it. Fly line is a great option too I just couldn’t find any cheap enough line to do it. If you go to cabelas check the bargain cave for fly line if you go that route. Don’t use regular tip up line or braid because once a northern swims in circles around your shack you will have one heck of a tangle to deal with! Coated tip up line seems to untangle pretty good. Good luck, nothing better than a late night rattle reel!!

McCord Stowater

Not trying to pirate your thread, but McCord, where do you buy the fly line?

Runnings in Brookings, SD is where I got mine. Doesn’t come on a spool or in a box, just coiled up and held together with a twist-tie.

crappieguy

Get rid of whatever line is on there and get yourself some cheap fly line ($3-5 for 50 yards). Neutral or slightly sinking buoyancy and a level taper. Fly line is a lot easier to hand-line with and is very knot resistant. That braided line will become a tangled mess in no time. Put a swivel on the end and tie a leader of whatever you want to the other side of the swivel (I always put 6′ piece of 10lb Fireline on the end for my leader).

Care to post a link to a specific line you speak of? When I do a search the options are endless!

I ended up using standard tip up line this weekend, and yeah… knots a plenty

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

Here is a pic of the fly line….I do not know the brand, as this is how it comes when you buy it. I think most guys may use it for spearing decoys?

Anyway, Runnings in either Brookings, SD or Watertown, SD sells it. Doug at the sportsman’s cove in Webster, SD also sells it.

The stuff is awesome for rattle reels!!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0325.jpg

Michael Nebelsick
    SE South Dakota

Thank you guys very much. I am heading to Brookings today actually before I go fishing. Looks like I have a little work to do before I start fishing with the rattle reels.

crappieguy

So now the technical question.

No need to tie that to a backing line on a rattle right? BUT, what’s at the end of that line? I assume you tie it to a mono leader and if so, what knot?

deertracker

I’ve just used a palomar knot to a swivel without any issues.
    DT

Walkin boss

I ditched my rattle reels and all my ice fishing tip-ups for a product I found at the St. Paul ice show called the finicky fooler. This product allows you to use a rod and reel with the bail open. Attached bells to the flag works great. No more pulling fish in hand over hand. I believe they have a web site.

Michael Nebelsick
    SE South Dakota

Stopped at the Runnings in Brookings this weekend. No fly line left. any place online to get it cheap? Everything I have found is pretty expensive.

Thanks

ontario2016

I am figuring that this thread is about rattle reels but I’d like to interject. With today’s quality reels and the drags that come with them have you thought about loosening the drag on your jigging rods to max? Be sure to secure the rods, but if you use this method the drag screaming would work as good as the little bells that come in rattle reels.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.