Best transom mount trolling motor

• Crankbait

Hey all! Sorry if this is a rehashed question or an age old debate. Just wondering what your vote would be for a reliable trolling motor suitable for the Miss. I just have a little 14′ Lund but I figure you can never have to much thrust. I know rivers can be hard on em’ with wingdams and sandbars and such. Any brand the toughest? Minn-Kota or Motorguide? Thanks a ton for any advice!!

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

I beat the tar out of my minkota and it still runs like a charm……..

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I would agree with mavzer. I have run both and Like the minnkota much better.

You are better off to go with more thrust than you need. I would rather have to much power than not enough.

Dustin

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’m gonna 3rd the nomination for MinnKota. I’ve used both ‘Kotas and ‘Guides and the better performance came from my ‘Kota. Also, it weighs a little less, if that makes any difference.

I have a 14ft. aluminum and I’m using 50# thrust on the transom mount. Like Dustin said, more power is better. Even in strong current, I have been able to get myself out of a jam or two quite readily with that much thrust available. I do, however, only use a 28# thrust up front for snaking up currents slowly.

For anyone using a Motorguide, you can gain a decent performance increase by adding a Ninja prop.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Minkota is my choice too. I also have a 50# thrust on the back of my 14″ Lowe and its run almost as much as my 25 Merc. Just remember that if it wasnt for the battery the motor wouldn’t do squat ! DON’T SKIMP ON THE POWER SUPPLY

ec

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

I’ve had both Minn-Kota and Motor Guide and my vote goes to Minn-Kota hands down. Right now I don’t have a electric on the transom (I will again soon) but I’m using a Maxxum 74 lb. thrust on the bow and can’t say a bad thing about it. It’s better to have too much power than not enough. Good Luck with your choose!

walleyeboys
    Live in Rochester Mn.

We have had 6 different Minn-Kotas and love em. Great motors Always go with lots of thrust-you will never regret it.

Crankbait

Well thanks for all the advice, It seems pretty unanimous so far!

I was thinking of checking out Minnkota’s bow mount harness for putting a transom motor up front while I’m at it.

Would you normally want more thrust on the stern versus the bow or is it kind of a personal preference thing?

Thanks again for all the great help!!

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

My experience: Two of my earlier MinKotas were not used a great deal and both developed problems – one very serious. For two years now I have been using a Motor Guide Energy series 76lb transom motor with no problems. Many days I troll upstream 5-7 hours a day pulling 3-ways. It is used very heavily compared to my previous MinKotas. Maybe MotorGuide did something right when they developed the Energy series. I suspect all the manufactures drastically improved their motors few years back. Anyway, I am very happy with this motor, as I have no need for a gas kicker for my slow trolling presentations. When purchased it was also about $100 less expensive than a MinKota.

Dave Gulczinski

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.