Will you have that taildancer to go?

• rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

In a post last week the question was posed…”can Wisconsin residents use 3 rods on the Mississippi”…. I wrote Warden Martin Stone of the Wisconsin DNR… he was on vacation but responded to me this morning……. here is a quote from his email…… he noted that there are always lots of questions about this…. (thank you Mr Stone!)…..

–Wisconsin residents & WI license holders from states other than Minnesota

can fish with three lines or three baits out to & on the main channel. Once

you leave the main channel area and go into MN back water areas, you are

required to follow MN laws. The same holds true for WI waters.

–The laws states you must obey the laws on which State’s waters you are

fishing or boating.

–If you are a WI resident or are a WI license holder from a state other

than MN and want to fish with three lines or baits outside of the main

channel area into the MN back waters, call the local MN warden and ask his

advice.

soooooooo Jon… guess you will be sending that taildancer to stillapup? I suggest you file the hook points off!! you wouldnt want him to hurt hisself now would you?? or maybe you should just supersize it?? does he get fries with it?

LOL…….

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Wow! Border Water regs???…Learn something new every day!! I’m glad we got that cleared up.

Stillakid2, I’ve got a few Brand New – In the Box Taildancers for you to choose from.

We should “Hook Up” for some fishing on the Croix. You can run 3 lines off your side of the boat while I run 2 off my side!!

River Eyes, thanks for taking the time to contact Warden Stone.

J.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’m not going to fall that “side of the boat” thing…………..uh uh, nooooooo way Jon J.! You’ll watch for the DNR and when they’re near you’ll say, “Trade you a TailDancer not to turn this boat around”! LOL! Jon, I never shook on the bet so your lures are safe. I am, however, going to print that out so when I’m questioned I’ll have the written instruction for defense………………..or maybe I’ll stick with two lines just to be certain! Thanks for the research RiverEyes!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I can also confirm Rivereyes info. I ran into a MN DNR guy at Gander the other night and thought I would run it by him. He also confirms the info posted. He said they get that question a lot.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Stillakid2,

If you don’t take it, I’ll donate it to the FTR get together prize bin!!

Maybe have a game show called “Who wants to be a River Rat” Award it to the person who answers the most border water regs questions correctly!!

J.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Okay………..okay……………..okay……………..whatever it takes to keep the peace! LOL!

markvan
    Owatonna

Rivereyes:

You stated that a Wisconsin license holder other than MN out of state can use three rods. Do you know if a MN resident that also has a WI license could also? (Not that I would. Fishing the river with more than one usually spells trouble for me.)

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Markvan,

Sorry but that won’t work. Both WI and MN state in their regulations that the license holder is bound to the laws of their resident state. The situation on the Mississippi is a WI/MN border issue, so WI/MN residents have to pay attention to the rules of their resident state and abide by them. Any other state’s resident is not subject to the border agreements made by WI/MN, therefore gaining the priviledges of whichever state’s license he/she may purchase.

Just to be certain…………………a MN angler gets two lines on WI/MN border waters. WI anglers get 3. If the MN angler leaves the main channel and gets into a WI backwater, with or without the WI nonresident license, the angler can only use 2 lines. A WI license is not required to fish that part of the river so purchasing a WI license helps nothing because you are still bound to the priviledges given by your resident state.

Hope that clears it up for you! :O)

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yep….. the PUP is right!! you MUST fish under the rules of your resident state… Wisconsin if your a Wi resident and Minnesota if your a Mn resident…… and you must possess a resident liscense from that state….. they WILL check your drivers liscense to determine residence…..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.