Polaris Sportsman 570 Won’t Start

• jwellsy

You said the battery is 7 years old.
    I would totally disconnect the battery and use jumper cables or a charger/starter to try and start it without the battery connected. Sometimes a battery cell will short out and suck power away from starting.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

been following this post too. i am far from a mechanical mind but every time i have had weird starting issues on either my truck, boat, tractor or golf cart it has always had something to do with the battery. if it is that old, you need to replace anyway so just get a new one.
    have you taken the battery to get load tested?
    this winter i left my 3 year old battery from my golf cart on a trickle charger. the charger had overcharged the battery and it was junk.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i’ve been also following this, just to see if he ever came up with a solution.

has he tried pull starting it???? when my wife had her sled, i pull started it if the battery couldnt.

from my experience the battery is 7 years old………yea that friggin old for a sled!!!!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

No spark and no rpms while cranking.I might look into the CS sensor like Jake mentioned.

Jake
    Brainerd

Jake I did use the yellow speedo/reverse override button until I saw RPMs. It does say zero when trying to turn it over. However I’m not getting spark.

You should be seeing like 500rpm +/- when cranking, spark or not. I’d bet money you need at least a crank position sensor. They’re $14 on amazon and super easy to replace. I can send you the link if you need. Sounds like you may have more than one problem going on however.

Edit: It’s been a couple years since I went through this with mine. But the more I think about it, I don’t think I had spark either. I just dug through my old amazon orders and I had ordered new plug, wire, coil pack. Funny thing is they didn’t fix anything for me. And a couple days later I have an order for the CP sensor. With your machine reading 0 you need the sensor for sure. And I’d be willing to bet you’ll have spark after as well.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I think they had some switch on the throttle that would kill the engine in case the carb stuck open, too much slack in the throttle cable might do the same thing

bigv
    northeast SD

I have a ’19 polaris 570. Does dash have codes on it? Hold the mode button to see what code it sends? Mine does that if issue which was only once when I was low on coolant. I only have 200 miles on mine and the battery only lasted 4 yrs. I would replace battery too.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I replaced the battery last night but still won’t start.

So next thoughts are Crank Position Sensor (?) or Fuel Pump

If any more guidance on the crank position sensor would be appreciated. I did a quick search and found a wide variety. I’m an idiot at this stuff.

ripalip

Hold your hand over the air intake, and crank over.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

Lindy like I said I have the same machine. last year went though the same process. I did the spark plug, then the battery, gave up, and brought in to get it diagnosed. It was the fuel pump. I’m no mechanic but was able to do it. good luck

robby
    Quad Cities

Robby and Jeff- hopefully it’s not the fuel pump but yes if you come across the video please share

Robby and Jeff- hopefully it’s not the fuel pump but yes if you come across the video please share

I did not do the work myself. Had a Polaris Shop do it, and I want to say it cost about $350. This is for parts, labor, and diagnosis.

robby
    Quad Cities

Hold your hand over the air intake, and crank over.

These machines are fuel injected, this probably will not work. I believe your technique is more for carborated engines. Had a 75 Jeep CJ5 with 258 inline 6 that I had to start your way once in a long while. Boy was it a piece of junk, but boy would it go anywhere! Thanks for sparking the memories.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

IS THERE A RELAY FOR THE FUEL PUMP? MY 2014 RANGER’S FUEL PUMP RELAY WENT BAD JUST SWAPPED IT OUT PROBLEM SOLVED.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Unhook the pump and cycle the key it should spray fuel if the pump is working.

OG Net_Man

Not trying to be difficult but what does the fuel pump have to do with no spark?

CaptainMusky

Yeah if he doesnt have spark its not fuel related. I asked this before and didnt get an answer but are you sure the kill switch is in the RUN position? Sometimes its something that dumb trust me.

lindyrig79

Thanks Gents. Appreciate all the input.

Musky I did mention that I’ve adjusted the kill switch a couple times. There is only one, and it is in the run position. Agree to check the simple things first and I need all the help and knowledge I can get when it comes to machines, lol.

At this point Jake has the next idea to try as the crank position sensor is pretty cheap. However I can’t seem to find any online instructions for that and my manual doesn’t mention it.

Jeff’s fuel pump video would probably be next after that (I did watch the whole thing thank you) but I’m afraid that is probably out of my skill set. I’d probably have to do what Robby did and bring it to a mechanic.

BTW if anyone can suggest a mechanic in north metro I’m all ears

CaptainMusky

Drop it off at Grouse’s house so we can all hear/read the full writeup on what a knucklehead you might be LOL. Only joking of course about the knucklehead comment.

OG Net_Man

This is not going to help but maybe…. Lately I have found myself looking at videos on You Tube from a guy that buys used atv’s, dirt bikes, sxs and snowmobiles which most do not work. His videos shows his trouble shooting and fixing of these machines. If interested you can search 2vintage for his videos.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

Drop it off at Grouse’s house so we can all hear/read the full writeup on what a knucklehead you might be LOL. Only joking of course about the knucklehead comment.

rotflol rotflol rotflol but he has to wait till there’s a big snowstorm!!!!!!! devil

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

No, no, no. Don’t you guys know anything? The time to bring ATVs is a week before deer season because you were hoping to get it running in time to use it opening weekend. And don’t forget to ask if I can have it ready by Friday because you were hoping to leave right after work.

I hate working on ATVs so much that I don’t even work on my own without constantly complaining about it. I hate how everything is shoehorned in so that it takes an hour of disassembly to do a 10 minute job.

I was so happy when I sold what will be my last ever ATV last year.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I see you have Mille Lacs listed, I used this guy and he was knowledgeable and fair.

Attachments:
    1. Loren-Powersports.jpg

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I see you have Mille Lacs listed, I used this guy and he was knowledgeable and fair.

I can vouch for Justin in Isle, he was one of my shop students when I worked in Isle.

lindyrig79

Wanted to update this. Big shout out to Jake! It was the crank position sensor! He sent me the part link and even a video showing me where is was located.

Well the part arrived today and I swapped it out and she started right up. Thank you Jake!

And thanks to everyone, it was a good group effort. Saved me time and cash waytogo

eyeguy507
    SE MN

good to hear you got it going.

Jake is the man!

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.