Permit to Carry~BCA policy change

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was in the process of setting up a carry class in January and our instructor informed me that the BCA made a change in policy. Whether new or renew, a person needs to shoot a minimum of 25 rounds to receive a cert.

In the past, a renew would need to shoot 5 to 10 rounds. A new permit would require 15-18 rounds.

404 ERROR
    MN

Just doubled the cost of getting a permit! I guess I’m fine with it, I like shooting…

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Is this a national change or is this specific to a certain State?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Since it’s the MN BCA that certifies the instructors, I’m going to guess it’s for MN. But I’ll check. I couldn’t find anything on the BCA site about it, but there’s a lot missing.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That’s ridiculous. Are they in bed with the ammo mfgs knowing full well how expensive and difficult to find ammo is? It should be less, not more and doing so on renewal seems unnecessary.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

That’s ridiculous. Are they in bed with the ammo mfgs knowing full well how expensive and difficult to find ammo is? It should be less, not more and doing so on renewal seems unnecessary.

Agree.
    I really don’t understand the need to shoot at all on a recert to begin with

Coletrain27

complaining about having to shoot 25 rounds? you would shoot that much in 30 seconds at the range so i dont see what the big deal is personally.

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

Anything the current anti-gun administration can do to make it harder for people to maintain their permits.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Class at Bill’s Gun Shop since the first CC class years ago. Always shoot a min of 25 rounds. 5 – 2 handed at 5 yards. 5 – 1 handed at 5 yards. 5 – 2 handed at 10 yards. 5 – 1 handed at 10 yards. Then 5 shots at 10 yards in less than 10 seconds.

Seems reasonable to require a CC license holder the ability to shoot and hit a target.

Never seen anyone fail – ever!

-J.

Brad Dimond

Anything the current anti-gun administration can do to make it harder for people to maintain their permits.

Really? I agree with Jon, seems to me to be reasonable that permit holders be able to hit what they aim at. Plus if you are already at the range to shoot, the more the merrier.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Exactly, policy makers just want to get rid of as much ammo as they can!

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>luckydave wrote:</div>

Really? I agree with Jon, seems to me to be reasonable that permit holders be able to hit what they aim at. Plus if you are already at the range to shoot, the more the merrier.

Agree…anyone on one end of a gun the better accuracy and more practice the better. Don’t understand the uproar.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The reply from our BCA certified instructor:

“It was the MN, BCA change. I don’t think it is MN Law specification.

We as instructors were advised by the BCA that we were to have more of a shooting exercise and that ( The BCA ) would be checking with our clients and if it is determined that this is not being complied with, we as instructors would be decertified.

My personal thought is that it is a stupid requirement. We are not required to make anyone an expert with their firearm. Many of the people that do the shooting exercise do not even use their own firearm. I think the BCA wants to make sure that people are observed loading and reloading at the firing line in a safe manner?

They also said that the shooting should be done a various distance but not specified what that would be.”

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

To be clear I don’t have any problem making sure people can hit the target and think that is needed when getting you original permit, it’s on the recert that I don’t understand the need. I like to shoot as much as anyone, but should not be forced to. They need to pay more attention in my opinion on if you are actually comfortable with the weapon and can function it properly. I had a guy in one of my classes that had no business getting his permit, but sadly did.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I had a guy in one of my classes that had no business getting his permit, but sadly did.

And that’s the problem with the “right” to bear arms.

The Second Amendment is the judge and jury here. (with a few other restrictions)

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

tripled* when I take the renew class with you )

Just doubled the cost of getting a permit! I guess I’m fine with it, I like shooting…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Save your pennies Evan!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>
    I had a guy in one of my classes that had no business getting his permit, but sadly did.

And that’s the problem with the “right” to bear arms.

The Second Amendment is the judge and jury here. (with a few other restrictions)

Brian, Not trying to be combative towards you but Instructors can fail students correct?

The “right” to bear arms has nothing to do with denying a permit to carry for someone who can’t demonstrate safety and firearm competency. Signing off on a permit for an individual that does not have safe and effective handling skill falls completely on the instructor and the instructor should not pass that student until ALL aspects are met.

(I personally have mixed feelings about the fact people need a permit to CC, but on the other hand there are WAY too many people I would not trust to be carrying a loaded gun also, A major catch22…
    I myself, Hate paying $100 for a 5yr (to the state) and then a class fee of ~$100, so about $40yr just to be “legal” to carry. I like taking the classes though and find them interesting.)

If you are whining about having to spend some time at the range shooting I don’t know what to tell ya.
    A box of 9 can be found for under $20 pretty easy, 45 and 380 a bit higher. Take a class from an instructor that uses a range where you can bring your own ammo if you are afraid to pay range cost for a box of ammo. Its always nice to take classes from different instructors to get other viewpoints, perspectives and lessons.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Save your pennies Evan!

I was more making reference that M Eagle would be “my” personal ammo sponsor for the next renewal class )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Can’t say that I disagree with you much Mark.

The laws and what the BCA asks of it’s certified instructors are not exactly aligned.

Prices have come down. Classes are $65. and permits (in most county’s) are $75.00.

(I personally have mixed feelings about the fact people need a permit to CC, but on the other hand there are WAY too many people I would not trust to be carrying a loaded gun also, A major catch22…
    [/quote]

I think you just said what I was referring to. We shouldn’t need a permit to carry as it’s protected right. BUT then there are instances where someone should block a person from touching a weapon.

AND you’re thinking like a person that lives in MN. Wisconsin does not require a permit to open carry. No BCA certified instructor, no application, no fees. Just strap it on and go.

If there is an easy fix, I don’t have it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.