Rainy Lake SLABS!! Congrats on all the PB’s!!

• arklite881south

Rainy Lake is setting up nicely for a awesome run on big crappies. We’ve been fortunate enough to ice many over 15 inches this winter, and 4 topping 16!! Biggest slab went 16.5 and weighed 2lbs 9oz. Fishing Crappies around the spawn timeframe is one of my all time favorite experiences!! Typically these fish make their move around spawning grounds when waters reach 56 degrees. Often times that will fall around the 3rd week in May. 3rd week in many until the second week in June can be awesome fishing….NOT ONLY FOR BIG CRAPPIES!!

chrossa
    Arcadia, WI

Nice fish What did you use for bait, and what kind of structure were they on?

arklite881south

Great question. Sorry got caught up with posting some year end pics!!

I fish Slabs all over Rainy Lake as well as several smaller lakes in the area. Crappies tend to relate to the dominate food source for that particular lake. Often times we’ll start deep and move shallow. Deep basins outside spawning structure are good starting points, but don’t discount abundant forage. Slabs feed on a variety things including blood worms, freshwater shrimp, bugs, minnows…. On a given day imitationof any of the above may be the hot ticket.

I prefer the Diamond Jigs through Custom jigs and spins which allows for quick efficient hole hopping with the small profile and quick sinkin features. Shrimpos and Ratsos are proven Donkey pullers!! We also had great succes on Demon jigs tipped with minnow heads/tails. This was extremely effective picking up larger slabs!! Transition lines between deep and shallow, mud and rock or micro bottom contour changes hold fish. Staying away from “ON ICE” parties will also help your success!!

As we transition into the open water I utilize flu-flu’s tipped with crappie minnow in a variety of colors, but really tough to beat the pink and white combo!! As for where to fish giant spawning crappies….Next to the Daze Fish Casket!! LOL!!

arklite881south

Pic #1 has me using a white Diamond Jig tipped with “Bloody Worms” by powerbait along with a Gulp “Green” maggot!! BTW 15.5 inch slab!!

Pic #2 has James using a Glow white Ratso with a pink body!!
    BTW…16 inch slab!!

Pic #3 had Andy utilizing a Perch Tiger Pattern Diamond tipped with artificial spikes. BTW…..16 inch slab!!

Tight lines Team!!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Chris,
    Great looking Crappies.
    Jeff, Steve, and I really enjoyed our stay and trip on Rainy.
    Am really thinking about an open water trip this Spring.
    Just TOO many good places to go.
    thanks again.
    Jack

arklite881south

I hear ya Jack!! Sure enjoyed you boys also!! Be fun to tangle with those big slabs during the spawn run!!

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Now that looks like fun

arklite881south

Hey PP,

Only thing more fun than that is putting the beans to those huge slabs with small floats in a few weeks!! The slabs get all black and are the coolest lookings slabs around!! got my PB 16.5 this winter, so have my eyes set on a 17!! Can you imagine what that would look like shaking her head on the top of the water!!

whittsend

Quote:

Fishing Crappies around the spawn timeframe is one of my all time favorite experiences!! Typically these fish make their move around spawning grounds when waters reach 56 degrees. Often times that will fall around the 3rd week in May. 3rd week in many until the second week in June can be awesome fishing….NOT ONLY FOR BIG CRAPPIES!!

Great info – would you mind answering one more question?? My parents head to Rainy every year in June. This year they are going to the Canadian side the 3rd week of June. My dad would love to get into a few big crappies, but doesn’t really know where or what to try. I would assume (depending on water temps) that the crappies could be shallow, but might be more on the edge of breaks suspended over deeper water, but still close to some sort of structure… Again, thats a guess, but I have no idea how Rainy Lake crappies tend to behave. Any help you could give on post spawn location and tactics/presentations would be much appreciated!! Hard to know where to start / what to look for with so much water up there!!

Thanks,
    Whittsend

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.