Favorite Setup For Crappies and Gills

• bradg

I am hoping that everyone might want to share some of their favorite setups for through the ice gills and crappies.

My new favorite is a #14 gill pill in either clown or glow brite tipped with the gulp crappie nibbles. A few weeks ago this setup produced many gills over 9 inches and a few that were pushing 10 inches.

The IDO panfish episode got me wandering what are some of peoples favorites

riverfisher
    Cedar Falls, IA

This winter, my go to has been a #12 white/green glow gill pill with a waxie in late afternoon/night. The red glow was working well too, but died off.

Day time, a black tear drop style with a waxie has been my go to.

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

#12 black and yellow Diamond jig with 2 spikes has been hot for me.

scottsteil
    Central MN

#12 Gil Pill in White/Black this year. Last year it was the #12 Gill Pill in Red Glow.

patty
    Alexandria, MN

My fav is a 3mm or 4mm black with 4 glow dots (fiska) tipped with either purple or pink spikes or micro nuggies.

bradg

I have also had some luck with the white/black pill #12 as well. I actually like the 12’s best but the shop I bought from only had 14’s in a couple of colors I wanted to try

riverfisher
    Cedar Falls, IA

Anyone have much luck with the froggie colored diamond jig? My friend, Mr. Bindert and I have used them, but the fish act terrified by it. I’ve never had a fish come up to a jig and leave so fast. The other colors work well though.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For the bluegills (and some crappies) #12 Gill Pill – White / Black with the orange belly. Tipped with a couple spikes or a single waxie.

And for the crappies, a #8 Pink OR Pink Head / White bodied Ratso. No bait.

This post is a good reminder that I need to replenish my panfish jig supply as I’m just about out of a number of colors and sizes.

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

I agree with alex, a dark blue 3 or 4mm fiska with a purple or black micro nuggie. I mainly use fiskas jigs with many combos such as spikes, waxies, plastics, gulp or even leafworms. Another hot color has been black glow with an orange belly. I also will have to say the gill pill has produced, mainly size 12 in fire tiger and purpledecent.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I also will have to say the gill pill has produced, mainly size 12 in fire tiger and purpledecent.

Hey JD Welder

Where are you getting the purpledecent gill pills? I looked on their site and they didn’t have them listed. I know some shops will customize some of the paint schemes so I’m curious to know if you have a secret source on those you’d be willing to share?

ron_w_basser2
    North Central, MN

As odd as this sounds I have been getting gills to bite a nickel diamond jig size 12 with nothing on it. I tried this after watching them continually go after the shiney little spit shot I had on above everything else I tried.

Has anyone else seen gills go after a split shot on a underwater camera besides me?

As for crappies, man it changes day to day for me. Something with a spike seems to always produce.

justin_panno
    La Crosse, WI

Overall I would have to say a swedish pimple(or any jigging spoon for that matter)for both species any day of the week, I feel that even on the most sluggish days a spoon can excel if you present it the right way, but if that doesn’t work, i will find myself using a dropper rig, and you can’t go wrong with a diamond jig/gill pill with a plastic or a waxie on it

billybob68
    Austin, MN

Firetiger colored diamond jig tipped with 1 or 2 spikes is one of my favorites, But if i can’t get anything to bite, my go to jig is a glow ratso

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Hey JD Welder

Where are you getting the purpledecent gill pills? I looked on their site and they didn’t have them listed. I know some shops will customize some of the paint schemes so I’m curious to know if you have a secret source on those you’d be willing to share?

Jim….HookedOnFishing in Rochester has them.

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

#12 glow red gill pill with a waxie. ive also tried a small minnow head and they worked well too.

ive also tried the small slender spoon and demon spoon with good success.

those gill pills have been hard to beat lately. a small presentation that sinks like a rock (i hate slow fallers, especially when i see whats waiting for it on my camera!)

they are great for soft water panny fishing with the kiddies too..

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Last year for gills was glow red #12 gill pill, usually two waxies.

This year #12 gill pill in frog, as well as #10 nuclear ant in purple and white and pink. About 50% of the time I am using two waxies this year.

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

Quote:

I also will have to say the gill pill has produced, mainly size 12 in fire tiger and purpledecent.

Hey JD Welder

James, I’ve been getting my purpldecent at Gander Mtn.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Lil Cecils are my favorite ice jigs for crappie. Pictured is the Sunrise. Worked very well the last couple of years but the Purple Glitter has outfished all the rest thus this winter for me. Fish them with or without bait. Gills, Perch, & LMB will take the offering and I learned last week Pike will as well!

ieatmeat

These are my favorite for panfish. They have size 8 hooks so they’re best for crappies and perch but work well for slab ‘gills as well.

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

So who makes them and what are they called?

ieatmeat

I make them myself. I make all my own jigs so I can make what works for me. A friend of mine turned me on to a company that makes glow paint and powder and I buy the bodies on ebay and paint them up. I also have some I make from scratch but just started so I don’t have them perfected yet. Close though! Here’s a pic. They can be made with any size hook. These are 12’s and they’re fly hooks so they’re sharper than the jigs you buy in stores. IMO

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Those look great!

ieatmeat

Quote:

Those look great!

Thanks, I can’t wait to give them a try.

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

what does a purpledecent gill pill look like? and where do you get green/white gill pills or any other colors? i’ve only found the regular colors like firetiger or glow. this winter a #12 or 14 clown or firetiger gill pill has been hot.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

I make them myself. I make all my own jigs so I can make what works for me. A friend of mine turned me on to a company that makes glow paint and powder and I buy the bodies on ebay and paint them up. I also have some I make from scratch but just started so I don’t have them perfected yet. Close though! Here’s a pic. They can be made with any size hook. These are 12’s and they’re fly hooks so they’re sharper than the jigs you buy in stores. IMO

Those are some pretty nice looking jigs.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That is some awesome work ieatmeat

I’ll take 2 of each please

beckzl32

i would have to say for crappies i like the ratso depending on were i am at i use 10 or 12 some times if they are real lite biters i use size # 8 shrimpo mostly glow head and blue tail going for gill and perch i like the diamond head jig firetiger pattern size 12 and those new bro bugs they are all prettty good i tip them with a euro larva or crappie minnow

Sharon
    SE Metro

Beware the beast is black.

Nightcrawler!

Any jig, any color, I’ve always enjoyed using fresh nightcrawlers. (And sometimes the dried crunchy crawler left on my jig from the day before.)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.