P4 April 20

• Jim

That was unexpected. Arrived at Everts about 2:30 and there were no empty trailers. She said I was her first customer of the day and it was slow, including a report from a guide that day. Only a couple of boats from Everts to the dam and there were no other boats up by the dam when I got there after fishing one spot.

Caught a 15” sauger in the first 5 minutes and that was it. Hung it up about 6:45 as the wind was cold. Water temp was 48.3 F.

mojogunter

It doesn’t take long for the word to spread if the bite is bad or good. I said the same thing on Sunday when I was down there with so few boats on such a nice day. I caught some nice fish, but it was slow.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The transition period from spawn to consistently warming waters is the toughest bite on Pool 4 for me. For some reason I always struggle right after the spawn. I am not an expert, but I’ve always attributed it to some abrupt temperature changes in the air and consequently the water. One day it can be 70 degrees and sunny, while the next it can be spitting flurries like it is today with temps in the 20s at night. Once water hits that 55-60 degree mark without any sudden drops, trolling cranks, spinners, or drifting and dragging live bait to cover water should all turn on from Everts right on down and into the lake.

It also likely doesn’t help your odds that thousands of walleyes and saugers were pulled from that stretch of river the last few weeks. I’m not a sky is falling type guy, but for a 2-3 week stretch that portion of the river was packed and people were going home with a lot of fish.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It is a transition period. Like rising or falling water, it moves fish. When fish are moving, they’re less congregated. IMO, continue to focus on small congregations whether it be a group that is decreasing in size because they’re leaving spawning grounds, or a group that is growing as fish move into post spawning areas.

Transitions are just that. Like a windy day when leaves blow around the yard. When the wind stops, the leaves are left in piles.

Difference with post spawn and a wind storm, is fish never congregate as much post spawn as they do pre-spawn and during spawn aka cold water periods.

The ability to find and identify fish on your sonar (of the right species) is and always will be key in achieving a “good” day on the water consistently regardless of time of year or type of condition.

I’m currently pestering spawning grounds that are still holding fish. The methods bucky mentions are methods good for covering ground, and they work best when covering ground is necessary, as fish are spread out in warm water periods, which we are currently transitioning to.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Temperature changes only change the mood of fish. A negative mood doesn’t mean fish won’t bite, it means they won’t bite aggressive presentations.

Constant temperatures bring about aggressive presentations for that temperature period. Cold water aggressive presentations are slower than lindy rigging, and cold water negative presentations are moving 0.1 to 0.3 mph. Aggressive cold water presentations are approaching 1 mph MAX.

This week i have caught fish between 0.3 mph and 2.5 mph.
    We get into 60’s and will be playing between 1 and 3 mph.
    Up and UP from there, and Down and Down after that.

One can simply gauge the mood of the fish by looking at water temperature trends. If it is trending warmer or just stable, expect to use more aggressive presentations for that water temperature. If it is falling, expect to be running slower presentations. This always plays out true because fish are cold blooded and their metabolism is tied to their body temperatures. Catfish farms, people who feed and harvest catfish for a living just like those who feed and harvest cattle; have vastly documented the amount of feed necessary given the water temperature and temperature trend. (Except, cattle are warm blooded, and therefore have entirely different temperature to food intake; the point being that it is a business and it is very important to know how to feed your livestock)

Brad Duricks book Cracking the Channel Catfish Code will teach you how to react to water temperature, and flow changes, no matter the species of fish in minnesots. It isn’t a channel catfish book anymore than a sucker is a catfish bait. 2c.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Great post FBRM. waytogo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.