P2 9/26

• procor
    Mounds View, MN

Was out early this morning on P2. I was unaware that the 494 launch is shut down. This was a surprise. Anybody know how long this is closed?

Fishing was slow for us today. We tried trolling cranks first with some of my go to spots with no luck except a smallie. Went back to all the WDs I like and pitched various jigs and moxies and cranks with no luck. Knowing that I was marking some eyes in the 10-12fow in some areas, I was hoping that in a matter of time, maybe the would ‘turn on’. At about 11:30-1:00pm, they finally turned on and although I was short on time, in the last five trolling runs, we hooked into 5 and unfortunately, only landed 1 24″ eye. One of them was a piggy, but never got a glance at her, with the head shakes, it finally worked itself off. Slow, but when they turned on, at least there was some action. Beautiful day with colors starting to change…

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Nice report… Wingdams have been on the slower side for me lately on P2 as well. Even my trolling runs were slower the last time out with the lower flows.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

I recall Mike mentioning that some fish were shallow when he was out, but I could not get bit in anything less than maybe 8fow or less (as long as that 8fow was immediately adjacent to a breakline and deeper water). The current seams in many spots seemed to be set up in the 9-12fow and that is where all hits came from. Early in the morning, there was little wind and a lot of surface debris to deal with that made trolling cranks a little frustrating..Once the wind picked up out of the S, things cleared up..

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Trolling runs where going for us today. Not much for size but numbers where good. Think we ended up with around 25 walleyes. Think we caught at least a fish or two on every spot we tried. Was a little grass and weeds going on some spots this morning. Like said above once the wind picked up it moved off to the sides pretty well.

matt

I might finally make it back out again tomorrow,Last Su day I purchased another motor with a good powerhead and bad lower.My goal is to get my lower onto the new motor tonite.Hopefully make a test run in the morning at a local lake and if all goes well I will be on the river in no time.I’ve been working down that way the past few weeks and crossing the river has been torture,lol..Thanks for the report,nice to know theres a few still on the chew.

fishdale

Caught a few casting and jigging before switching to trolling. Caught 5 in the first 2 trolling runs. Despite having a good pattern going decided to take the boy up through the 3 locks to MPLS. He has never been through a lock and it has been probably been 30 years since I have locked. Great day on the river some time you just need to put down the poles and enjoy a nice long boat ride.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

We were out for a few hours Saturday morning. Trolling riprap was slow with one fish. Moved over to large sand flat in less than 10 feet and started finding fish, but you had to troll upstream to get them to go.

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

We were out for a few hours Saturday morning. Trolling riprap was slow with one fish. Moved over to large sand flat in less than 10 feet and started finding fish, but you had to troll upstream to get them to go.

That’s funny. We struggled on Saturday, and the few walleyes we got trolling were only interested in a downstream presentation.

-Drew

fishdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Francis K wrote:</div>

That’s funny. We struggled on Saturday, and the few walleyes we got trolling were only interested in a downstream presentation.

-Drew

Every fish I caught trolling was up stream. Seems like the majority of my trolling fish are caught going upstream.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Guess some times they want it going one way over the other. Running cranks down river you are typically moving fast than going up. But then the cranks will have less action due to traveling with the water as apposed to against it. Little surprised the fish are hitting so well right now with the lures running up river. We found the same thing over the weekend. Did have a few spots they where going both ways.

Good news was they where biting and fun to catch.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.