Opinion on my Christmas Gift

• badgerfishing
    Wausau

So my family loved me enough this year to all pitch in and get me a brand new Marcum 8″ camera. To say I was excited was an understatement but now I’m at a cross roads. I have an lx-3 that I thought about selling to upgrade to a digital one but now that I got the camera Im in a pickle. Should I keep the camera and upgrade to a digital flasher when I feel like it or return the camera and and sell my flasher and pay the difference for an lx-9? Im not sure if two units is going to be a hassle or if you think going for the lx-9 would be worth it. Any opinions appreciated!!

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

The LX-9 is awesome as both a flasher and a camera. I would never steer you away from this unit.
    But what I have found over time is that I rarely use the camera function on mine. The novelty has worn off I guess, and with the sonar functions alone I feel I get enough info to fish effectively.
    I’m glad I have the camera in case I need it, but much of the time I don’t bother carrying it on the ice with me. The fact that it easily detaches is one of the big plusses of the LX-9.
    I also own an LX-3 as a back up unit or for when I fish with my son, and I really like it a lot. That said, I only use the LX-3 when the battery is dead on the LX-9, because the LX-9 really is that much better.
    Not sure this helps you answer your question. Even if you sell both of your units you will still have to shell out a fair amount to get an LX-9. If you are OK with this then maybe you would be better off this way. You’ll need to decide that for yourself.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I got the LX9 last year and like Wharf Rat, the novelty wore off and I thought it a bit of a large unit to drag around. But this year, I am using it a lot more often as I have been exploring newer bodies of water and find that camera indispensable. So I guess the answer lies in how you fish. I do appreciate how the LX9 integrates both in one unit now. Good thing you didn’t ask last year.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.