Open gates and Walleye

• MN DNR Fisheries – Lake City
    Lake CIty, MN

Recently IDO member gbfan10 posted a question about the effect of open gates at Lock and Dam 3 on Walleye population to the board. (see link below)

Gates at dam open Pool 4

He also got in touch with me via e-mail to ask a similar question and wanted to post my response. I told him I would put together a post containing figures that explained the concepts a bit better than my e-mail response and would post it for him.

Thanks for the interest in the river gbfan10, hopefully the attached pdf addresses your question.

As always feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Nick

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Thank you for posting the Information!!

Mwal

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Great read, learned a lot. Thanks for your work!

raynestorm
    Lake Wisconsin

Excellent pdf! I like seeing data like this laid out so clearly and explained this well. Thanks

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Great read Thanks
    Mike

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks for your well laid out presentation Nick.

I applaud your willingness to take the time to put this together and post this! bow

I do have a question now that I’ve read through the PDF a couple of times.

Last fall we had a very short fall bite compared to years past. It seemed to end in December when the rollers were raised. I understand that we’re talking about catch rates here and there’s many factors like angler experience and fishing memories in play here.

My question is about non spring flooding and the gates being open. Wouldn’t the walleyes/sauger move up stream into the next pool far easier when the rollers are opened and the flow is between 36k and 45k cfs?

redneck
    Rosemount

After I read the report my first thought was—- we are losing more walleye to Pool 3 by the fish that go up the Vermillion and into Pool 3 than any that make it through the dam. Walleye like certain types of grass to breed and the backwater areas of the Vermillion are probably the best breeding location after the reworking of the Wisconsin shoreline by the dam. Once a fish gets up the Vermillion, Pool 3 is not great challenge to get to and the current is MUCH less than running the dam. Of course, many a tournament has been won by guys fishing the drop back spots on the Vermillion after the spawn when the fish head back to Pool 4 and the lake.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Someone else just completed ACarp Swimming Velocity testing. Interesting read…now off to convert cm/s to cf/s.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Taken from Nick’s link above… shock

Extensive creel and netting surveys conducted by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources was
    summarized by Thorn (1984). Thorn found that walleye abundance 15 years after opening a continuous
    season was similar to walleye abundance when the fishery had a season closure. He found the spring fishery
    produced 16.4% of the pressure and 17.3% of the walleye harvest.

Thorn noted that May and June actually
    accounted for much of the yearly harvest (43.3%). No trend was detected in the average weight of the
    harvested walleye, ranging from 1.43–1.76 pounds, over the 15 years (Thorn 1984).

During the late 1980s, management objectives for the UMR walleye fishery focused on Maximum Sustained
    Yield (MSY) and an increase in the quality of the walleye harvested. Walleye populations were modeled in
    several UMR pools and were used to predict changes to the walleye fishery under a length limit restrictions.

Very good read!!

Now I have to read the rest of it!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I know, I know. Old info. But I’m willing to bet not much has changed. coffee

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.