online firearm purchase

• chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

This is my first time doing this…

I want to buy a rifle from an online store. What’s the process?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hunting forum would be best bet. Seller will likely dictate the process.

saddletramp

You have to buy through a licensed dealer. Find one that will let you do that. Most will for a fee. I know gander does.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Just completed my first “mail order” firearms purchase myself.

Your process might be slightly different because you’re in WI.

The firearm needs to be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealer where you will pick up the firearm after you have completed the paperwork and required checks. FFL’s charge for this “transfer” service, I found prices were between $25 and $60.

The place I ordered my rifle from made selecting the FFL very easy. They had a list of “pre-approved” FFLs based on your zip code and selecting one of these made the process easy because all the details are already on file with the seller.

Often, what you’ll have to do is have your receiving FFL send a copy of his license and other details to the selling dealer. Often this is not a difficult process, but it adds time.

Now I don’t know anything about additional requirements that Wisconsin may place on you. In MN, we also have to get a “permit to purchase” if we’re buying handguns or scary black guns, but I have no idea what (if any) additional requirements there may be in WI.

Grouse

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

It’s pretty straight forward over here too Grouse…… The only thing that comes to mind is if it’s a handgun you’re still subject to the 48hr. wait period but your FFL guy can fire up the additional background check ahead of time so when your handgun arrives you can just pick it up. All this adds is a little time but so does returning to a store 2 days later. Also found out that if you make 2 separate handgun purchases within…….. either 3 days or 5 days, I forget…… it will trigger a delay in your approval because it’s viewed as “suspicious”. I made 2 purchases only 10 days apart and that’s how the subject even came up. If anything comes up, shoot me a message because I’m from WI and have made a few online purchases. What I don’t know, I can certainly find out through my FFL guy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.