Networking a bow unit

• Chris Aker

I’m installing a Helix 10 Mega Chirp SI G2N in my console. I want something for the bow. I prefer a 12, but I think a 10 will do. I found a good deal on a Helix 10 Chirp GPS G2N, but also a 10 Chirp DI G2N for an extra $100, or a Mega DI for an extra $200. Since I’m going to network through the console unit, is there any reason to get the DI or Mega DI model? Or, would it be smarter to wait until I can find a comparable 12 unit? I keep hoping there will be a big sale on the G2N’s, but it seems that’s not happening.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I went through this two years ago. I networked just a 9 GPS g2n to front. The only time I use it is if someone is in front and is a fisherman. Otherwise I have it on my console along with my 10 SI. With I pilot link I’m more comfortable at wheel fishing and using the 9 for mapping only. If I were buying now I’d have the new terrova with DI, then I’d fish up front with DI. I troll weed edges for walleye, so use DI a lot. It does me no good to sit in front of boat with my DI transducer at back of boat. Just my opinion

Chris Aker

So would you suggest getting the Helix 10 with the DI, or the cheaper one without it? I assume I’d use the DI on the unit until I buy the upgraded TM, which will be a year, or more away.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I think it depends on your style of fishing. For the way I fish that would work best for me. But it’s another transducer and cable you have to deal with. When I bought my boat I didn’t realize I’d enjoy fishing like that but I do. I guess if you’re more into trolling maybe you’d be fine with GPS only in front??? How do you like to fish and for what species? May help others give you an opinion

Chris Aker

My preference will be to focus on Northern Pike, whether trolling or casting. But, for the next couple years I am stuck in an area where I usually fish Walleye or Bass. I’d estimate I troll 50-60% of the time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.