Mushroom identification

• pass0047
    Pool4

Found a lot of these mushrooms while looking for morels. They were on the base of dead elms.

Attachments:
    1. 20160507_180416.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Pheasant Back?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Yep, Pheasant Back fungi. I gather some of those myself while trout fishing. Melted some butter in the pan and fried them up for supper Friday evening.

pass0047
    Pool4

Thanks for the information. Sorry on the delayed thank you.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Huntindave – Would you say they are good to eat…taste wise?

I’ve been seeing a bunch of them while looking for morels but haven’t gathered up the courage to actually pick some and try it.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Tried these after reading this post. Kinda like chewing on the sole of your shoe!!!! doah I even made a conscious effort to find a young one. Wasted 2 chunks of butter..

haleysgold
    SE MN

Ick.

Think I’ll pass on picking any of these.
    Could be worse I guess…depending on if the shoe had fresh doggie doo on it.

Or would that make them taste better?? shock

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve heard they aren’t very good too.

🍄

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Huntindave – Would you say they are good to eat…taste wise?

I’ve been seeing a bunch of them while looking for morels but haven’t gathered up the courage to actually pick some and try it.

I guess it is all in what you are expecting them to taste like. No they taste nothing like a morel, so if that is the taste you are after, you will be disappointed.
    I did not know what to expect and I would describe the taste as a slight nutty flavor. I enjoyed the ones I ate. I guess I’ll have repeat the sampling a couple times before I can say for sure how much I may or may not like them.

I was told that yes, they need to be fresh and not too old when harvested. I would say this would be very similar to asparagus in that regard. Young and tender being the key. I was told that your knife should easily slice thru the mushroom. If not, the mushroom will be tough and woody. (again kind of like asparagus) Over cooking will toughen them up as well, not a good thing.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I don’t really like the taste of these that much, but, give them a smell when you pick them. They smell quite a bit like watermelon rind!

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

There also called Drysdale’s. Take only the softer part of it and it may help to peel or cut off the tougher outer portion.

coleman hills

Hey I live in southern alberta and have these growing in my field. Just noticed when i kicked this guy over. Any idea? I didn’t have much luck with google. The cap is metallic golden as it the stem a bit. It has grey black gills and an ovate cap.

Attachments:
    1. 20200612_155238.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

On the pheasant backs, you want mushrooms about silver dollar size and smaller. Larger ones can be eaten but tend to get strong tasting. On any pheasant back one wants to scrape off the foamy looking underside with a spoon, then rinse, slice and cook like regular cap mushroom. The underside comes off very easy so its not much of an inconvenience. Leaving it on can result in musty tasting mushroom. Scraped, pheasant backs are my favorite mushroom from the woods.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Hey I live in southern alberta and have these growing in my field. Just noticed when i kicked this guy over. Any idea? I didn’t have much luck with google. The cap is metallic golden as it the stem a bit. It has grey black gills and an ovate cap.

That looks like an Inky Cap. Left alone for a day the cap goes to a black, slimy slop.

Calgacus Jones

Hi, I live in Northern Virginia, and I have these popping up all over my back yard, grassy, a little shaded, low point in the yard but reasonably well-drained. They crop up about every morning and mostly die back in the late afternoon/evening.

Attachments:
    1. 0C25653E-28E1-4A55-BB6A-B26B592D9ABA.jpeg

2. DCFAF27C-5341-4A5C-965F-F6D0764C7710.jpeg

3. 5531F6CF-3DCD-45C6-B254-C79E502BA8E5.jpeg

4. 6400014E-1128-4CCA-BA0A-2A0867D43434.jpeg

robby
    Quad Cities

Pheasant Back! For sure. Edible, but tastes terrible.

Calgacus Jones

Thanks for the reply! But are you sure? From the look of the pictures when I googled, pheasant back looks pretty different, and grows around trees, whereas this one grows on the grass….

B-man

Thanks for the reply! But are you sure? From the look of the pictures when I googled, pheasant back looks pretty different, and grows around trees, whereas this one grows on the grass….

Your mushroom is one of countless “LBM’s” (little brown mushrooms)

By and large they are inedible and many are poisonous….some are trippy lol

If they are a problem or bothersome, you can buy anit-fungal sprays to treat that area of your lawn

bigpike

My wife has been finding Lobster and Chanterelles in the woods. The Chantrelle’s are extremely delicious.

B-man

My wife has been finding Lobster and Chanterelles in the woods. The Chantrelle’s are extremely delicious.

Love Chanterelles waytogo

Haven’t been out for a couple weeks, after the rain we had overnight, they should be popping like crazy. Headed out tomorrow morning with high hopes!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200725_121435.jpg

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.