Mr. Flicker Shad

• kwp
    Eden Prairie

I was cleaning out my tackle tonight and ran across my favorite Blue Tiger No. 7 Flicker Shad. This thing has caught more Walleyes and Saugers over the years than all my other trolling crankbaits combined – it’s my go-to bait for long line trolling. It has most of it’s paint missing now and also needs the hooks replaced but still catches fish. And lots of them.

Anybody ever why certain lures seem to catch more fish than others?? Part of it might be confidence but I also think there is variation in the manufacturing process – variation in the molding process, shape, size, rattle, lip, length, etc….You are then lucky enough to get one the fish just love.

Attachments:
    1. 20160116_020640.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Texas rigged plastic worms. Timeless. Got that out of necessity. Growing up I was always anchored in a boat with whoever took me out.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

“You are then lucky enough to get one the fish just love.”…..kwp

Yes, this is true but I usually see said lure go into the throat of a pike or dogfish never to be seen again. lol

Have you noticed that certain lures get better and better as they become more and more beat up?

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Honestly, I think there is also something to be said for the exact way a certain crank is tuned. I tune all of my cranks, but it seems like one or two particular cranks in the exact same color catch more fish. That is why I spend time running and refining cranks throughout the day.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I keep those special cranks isolated from all the others, for my use only- or maybe a really dependable, not going to loose it kind of fishing buddy, and for those days the inferior cranks are catching nothing.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I used to think special cranks were simply that the angler had confidence in the lure and used it more than anything else. When I was younger my uncle asked me once why I caught so many fish on a silver minnow and pork rind and no one else in the family had much luck with it. My answer was that I had confidence in the lure combo and tied in on and chucked it all day and that was the secret to my success.

I have since changed my mind and believe there are lures for whatever reason that have the something “special” to them. I have a lure called the pig it is not made anymore. It has been a fantastic lure for me catching lots of big pike and have taken a lot of big walleyes with it when targeting pike or Muskie. Our group has been going to Canada for many years and all my buddies went out and got the exact same make and color. There was no comparison as there’s did not even come close to catching as many fish as the one I have. I thought maybe I was imparting some special “twitch” to the presentation they were not. We would switch rods and they would start catching and I would stop. The lure now is probably 15 yrs old or more and really beat up, still catches fish like the day I bought it. I now only use it on a rod with very heavy line and gear because I do not want to lose it. If I run across a pig at a garage sale I always buy it, got quite a collection. Most are out of the tackle box and hanging in my garage as they just don’t seem to catch fish except for the “one” I will not get on the water without if targeting pike or muskie.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’m amazed you’ve managed to fish for so long with one lure on the river. Even spots I’m familiar with quite well still eats lures.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I’m amazed you’ve managed to fish for so long with one lure on the river. Even spots I’m familiar with quite well still eats lures.

There’s been some close calls but I try and only use this one in less snaggy areas. I did think I lost it when I was fighting a 12 lb. Catfish last Summer though.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

There has to be some magic in certain lures. I had a lure that was on fire and catching every species in the lake. I eventually lost the lure to a fish and replaced it with an identical one. It never put fish in the boat like the first one did.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I think there are many different variable that come into play with this. I agree that not all cranks are created equal and some will out produce day after day,…and some are a one time frenzy wonder.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

,…and some are a one time frenzy wonder.

Don’t know if it is the same for Walleye fishing but it can even be season to season for me. It is almost guaranteed that last year’s hot lure or color won’t be the same as this year’s hot lure or color.

milemark_714

The ones that produce day after day end up discontinued.Pays to hoard those that produce well.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

The ones that produce day after day end up discontinued.Pays to hoard those that produce well.

I tend to take that approach with all of my lures just in case some day they become that lure.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.