Minnesota River 4-21

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

What a beautiful day on the river! If only the fishing was anything like the weather..

We launched out of 35w around 11 a.m. this morning, and fished all the way to Chaska by 3:30 this afternoon. Our primary focus was white bass… we fished ever creek and prime area along the way and we failed miserably. The water is dropping quick, it seems almost nothing but sheephead and aquarium size channels are staging at the mouths of the creeks during the mid day hour. Several sheephead feel to crawlers, only one to a jig. One 13″ white bass, several channel cats all under 10″?

And last but not least… one *Dickey Moe* that grabbed my 1/4 oz Mimic Minnow and gave the old st croix rod and 30# power pro about all it could handle. The fish had its way with me making a run for the deep fast water from the shallows, then I coaxed it back into the slack water… there was nothing I could do but listen to the drag sing, and feel the head shake as the fish just cruised along the bottom. The end came soon, the jig pulled out of the mouth and left me a good dose of * Catfish Jelly *.

So.. It was a warm day, fishing was slow, the highlight of the day was by far *the one that got away*, and seeing how many shades of red John’s neck could turn even with sunblock . We covered about 35 miles(?) on the water today. The water temp was 55 degrees.

Thanks for getting me out for the day John! (wastewaterguru). I had a great time!

riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

Thanks for the report. Thinking about going for white bass on Wendsday.

larry_haugh
    MN

Thats alot of water to cover Mate!!!
    Glad to hear you had good weather. I had the same luck as you the monday prior. A few bites on cut but didn’t hook any cats. Tossed some for whities and no dice. Talked with one other guy that I crossed paths with and he was in the same boat.
    The water rushes pretty hard through that section, and there unfortunately is not a lot of back waters.

How did the shakopee launch look. Is she caked up still or cleaned off.
    thanks for the update Dave

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Shakopee looked good that day.. but each new day can bring a new adventure with all the muck in that river and quickly changing water levels.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.