Minnkota Talon

• broth82

I was able to get a smoking deal on a talon and the offset bracket that mounts in between the motor and the transom. The guy I got it from said that at times it has a hard time retracting and you have to wiggle the secondary extension piece to get it to retract. I haven’t tested it out yet but I’m going to do a good cleaning and try it out.

My question is, can I mount the mount to the motor and not run it between the motor and the transom? I would like to drill the least amount of holes in my boat and if there is a big problem with it I could remove it easily with out taking off my outboard?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

It’s a sandwich bracket meant to mount between the two. It’s universal so you shouldn’t have to drill any extra holes.

The talon easily removes from the bracket of you want to take it offs

I have one on my boat..if you want, PM me your # and I can send some pics.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Just throwing this out for consideration…I just got one too. I can’t get it in my garage door without tilting it, so I got the tilt bracket and drilled the extra holes in my transom. If you have a tall enough garage door, it’s probably not necessary.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve got a 12 foot one. Had it since I bought my boat in 2015.

I use the sandwich bracket since the transom on my ranger is irregularly shaped and it could not be attached directly. I also have a tilt bracket because it won’t fit in my garage when its up. I have a 7 foot garage door (wish I had an 8).

Something to keep in mind here is that if you have a relatively newer boat, you could void the hull warranty if you mount it directly to the transom.

Additionally, if you have a Mercury outboard and you use a sandwich bracket, you will void the outboard warranty. I only found out about this about a year ago. My outboard warranty is long over now so its a moot point, but its just something to keep in mind.

Also, the spike itself has a lifetime warranty.

broth82

Thanks guys, I tried to get it going last night and found that the cable drum slips on the main drive shaft.

It extends the spike fine but will only extend the next section a foot or so, if I help it it will deploy all the way but when fully extended the motor continues to run and the drum is slipping on the main shaft.

Is there any shear pins or anything like that that connects the drum to the main shaft?

broth82

I found out the spring in the drum is toast and have a drum assembly coming today. When I removed the drum I marked the cables but didn’t notice if there was a twist between the cables or if they go straight to the roller guides.

Can someone with a older model talon check for me?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.