Minn Kota Talon

• Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

Guy’s Looks like I am finally going to be able to pull the trigger on a Talon for the boat. Looks like I am either going with the 10 or 12 foot model. What I am looking for in the best place to pick one up at. I plan to install it myself, but would love to find a great deal on one.

Thanks Guys!

dbright
    Cambridge

I know over the winter I was looking into them and online you could save a couple hundred vs buying locally.

TripleA
    Blaine

definitely go with the 12 ft talon, its almost the exact size as the 10 but you get the extra length. Universal mania has a sweet price, I have purchased an HDS8 from them so I would trust the site. There is also a $100 rebate on the talon (there was a month ago at least).

TripleA
    Blaine

the $100 rebate is still online. I just paid $1600 before the rebate a month ago for a 12ft and that was the best deal I found, now universalmania has them at $1500!!! so $1400 after rebate, awesome price.

CBMN
    North Metro

I haven’t looked into a talon but I wouldn’t hesitate to call reeds in walker and see what there “best price” is. Usually my go to place for big ticket items.

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

Thanks TripleA! We just ordered a 12 footer from them! They were cheaper on all the accessories also! I can’t wait to put it to use!

TripleA
    Blaine

Thanks TripleA! We just ordered a 12 footer from them! They were cheaper on all the accessories also! I can’t wait to put it to use!

Sweet! I wish I would have waited and saved another $100 but even at the price I paid its a great deal. What boat are you installing it on? What accessories did you buy? I am mounting on a 1650 Crestliner Fishhawk, I am using the tilt mount bracket “reversed” and mounting directly to the transom. (Note IDO has added a Crestliner boat tab finally) haha

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

This one is actually going on a 1650 Fishhawk. We hat do you mean by the tip down bracket reversed?

TripleA
    Blaine

If you mount the tilt bracket directly to the transom as shown in the pictures within the manual there is not enough clearance to “tilt” the talon before the lever on the bracket will hit the transom, thus it does not work. The directions actually say not to use the tilt bracket on direct transom mount setups for that very reason. I found a youtube video of someone that flipped the bracket to allow it to tilt when directly transom mounted, and after looking over the bracket I think it will work great. Take the tilt bracket out to your boat when you get it and hold it against the transom, then try to “tilt” it and you will see exactly what I mean.

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

Thanks for the tip TripleA, I can’t wait to get this thing all mounted and ready to roll!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.