Mille Lacs Opener Roll-Call

• Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Who else is going to fight the crowds doah and fish Mille Lacs this year?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ll be there! waytogo

-J.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Being we can fish Bass ( Catch and release ) on opening weekend this year. I may head up that way and fish some of those monster smallmouth. They should be in Prespawn mode and even may be a few on beds as well. I should not have to worry to much about crowds as the landings smile yay lol

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Yes, bass are open. Here are the regs:

Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass: Bass season opens and closes with the walleye season. Combined possession limit is six, with only one Smallmouth Bass over 18″.

-J.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I will be up waytogo

TripleA
    Blaine

Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass: Bass season opens and closes with the walleye season. Combined possession limit is six, with only one Smallmouth Bass over 18″.

-J.

catch and release only for the first 2 weeks of the season*

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

-J.

For the Southern 2/3 of the state that is the case… Jon is correct that for Mille Lacs bass season is fully open starting Saturday waytogo

Chris Meisch
    Ramsey, MN 55303

Game on. We will be there.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Count me in!

That is if I don’t implode from excitement through the week. Pretty nice to set my schedule and its actually working out perfectly. Half days wed, Thurs, with Friday off.

Going to set my midnight alarm to Marvin gaye and when that sounds, oh I’m going to get my fishing on!

wallster
    Austin, MN

I’ll be there, north end. Sure will be nice with less people.
    Wallster ><((((>

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I will be out there as well. If you see a Black/Orange/Silver ZV21 say hi! I will be up on the northeast side.

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

I will be there. Fishing out of Red Dorr and a green Pro V.
    Looking forward to getting on the water!

toast

Jason_N
    St. Cloud, Minnesota, USA

Yup – counting the hours already!!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I’ll be there, north end. Sure will be nice with less people.
    Wallster ><((((>

For fishing yes… But I sure feel bad hearing about the resorts that have open cabins up there for the first time in over 20 years.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I will be up waytogo

Looking forward to stopping by the cabin for a few barley pops with you guys on Friday and defending our Big D title!

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

I will be there on the North end in a red Ranger 617!! Good Luck to all and be careful!

Cory

7outof10

ill be heading up to the camper on thursday and ill check out the lake with the hummingbird on friday and head out of the red door fishing saturday somepoint in the am

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>triplea wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

-J.

For the Southern 2/3 of the state that is the case… Jon is correct that for Mille Lacs bass season is fully open starting Saturday waytogo

Jon and Will

The only part of the State that is Open for bass ( To be keep ) on the 9th is the NE corner of the State ( line from Duluth to I Falls along Hwy. 53 ) the remainder of the state ( including Mille Lac’s ) is catch and release only for the 1st 2 weeks. Truly opens on May 23rd. Unless I’m understanding the Regulations wrong.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

SPECIES SEASON POSSESSION LIMIT
    LARGEMOUTH
    BASS
    Northeast* May 9, 2015Feb
    28, 2016 6 total combined largemouth bass
    with smallmouth bass
    Remainder
    of state
    May 9May
    22 Catch and release only
    May 23, 2015Feb
    28, 2016 6 total combined largemouth with
    smallmouth
    SMALLMOUTH
    BASS
    Northeast* May 9, 2015 Feb
    28, 2016 6 total combined largemouth with
    smallmouth
    Remainder
    of state
    May 9May
    22 Catch and release only
    May 23Sept
    13 6 total combined largemouth with
    smallmouth
    Sep 14, 2015Feb
    28, 2016 Catch and release only
    *Northeast is defined as north and east of U.S. Hwy 53 from Duluth to International Falls and Pelican and
    Ash lakes in St. Louis County

big_g
    Isle, MN

Wrong.. Will and Jon are right, you can KEEP them starting the 9th… taken from the New Regs section…

Mille Lacs’ relaxed smallmouth bass regulations remain in effect. The smallmouth bass season begins May 9 and allows anglers to harvest smallmouth bass from the walleye opener until the last Sunday in February 2016. Anglers may keep six smallmouth and largemouth bass in combination, but only one smallmouth bass may be longer than 18 inches.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Why they can be keep sooner way to the NE ( Where the fish are even less likely to have spawned yet ) than the can in the rest of the state ( slightly more likely to have spawned ) is strange to me. But this is the Minnesota DNR we are talking about. Lots of things strange to me.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I stand corrected. Mille Lacs has special regulations for Bass. The Rest of the state other than the upper SE corner of the state is catch and release only till the 23rd.

Big G. Your note says smallmouth Bass. The Note on the DNR website says Smallmouth and largemouth

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The DNR is very contrasting on the smallie regs. On one hand they say the numbers are too high, so they changed the limit from 1 to 6. On the other hand, they admit they have no evidence that smallies eat YOY walleye. They take the walleye limit down to one and expect the resorts to promote the lake as a world class smallie destination. Then a launch goes out and loads up on smallies and you have Al Linder having a seizure on his facebook page. I just sit back and scratch my head…….

-J.

big_g
    Isle, MN

My note was taken right from the DNR Special Regs….. copy and pasted grin

tso
    Coon Rapids,MN

I’ll be up Wednesday, Thursday and Friday! out of Fishers and looking forward to it!

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Count Buzz in for Mille Lac’s on the opener. I’ll be going out of Agate Bay Resort. Don’t forget to spend a little dough in the Communities up there. I’m sure it will be appreciated.

TripleA
    Blaine

The DNR is very contrasting on the smallie regs. On one hand they say the numbers are too high, so they changed the limit from 1 to 6. On the other hand, they admit they have no evidence that smallies eat YOY walleye. They take the walleye limit down to one and expect the resorts to promote the lake as a world class smallie destination. Then a launch goes out and loads up on smallies and you have Al Linder having a seizure on his facebook page. I just sit back and scratch my head…….

-J.

Over the last year I have asked this and no one really has an answer…. Why punish a trophy bass population when you F’ed up the eyes already. Knee jerk reaction I guess

big_g
    Isle, MN

That is the DNR’s attempt to coax more people to the lake for the business’ plain and simple. No sound management behind it….it’s the old “hey look over there” trick…. smirk

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My note was taken right from the DNR Special Regs….. copy and pasted grin

That’s strange. Here is what I found in the Minnesota reg’s

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.