Upgrading To Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch ???

• stratos_375
    Southern Wisconsin

I am looking at upgrading to the Lowrance HDS7 in the touch screen. I see that it has a built in structure scan module.

Right now I have a Gen1 HDS7 at the console and a HDS5 at on the bow along with the LSS1 structure scan. I want to move the Gen1 HDS7 to the bow and put the Gen 2 on the console.

My question is can I now get rid of the LSS1 structure scan and still get the structure scan on both units through the ether net cord. Also would I need to get new transducers upgranding to the Gen2 HDS7 touch?

Thanks for any help clarifying!

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

From what I have been reading, it sounds like the LSS1 ducer doesn’t perform well with the SSHD. It does image, but it produces white spots in the image. And yes, you can connect the two units together as the HDS2 touch contains the Ethernet and SS within the unit. I believe the Touches contain two Ethernet connections.

stratos_375
    Southern Wisconsin

Thanks Gixxer01, so I would just need a new structure scan transducer to go with the Gen2 but my 83/200 regular transducer would be fine?
    Thanks again
    Geoff

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

I don’t think they changed anything with 2D ducer, connections, etc. The only change I’m aware of is the longer LSS2 ducer designed for the SSHD. I should note, that people were experiencing improvements in imaging by running the LSS2 ducer with the LSS1 SS module. However, in your circumstances, you would be upgrading to SSHD and I don’t see where using the LSS1 module would have any purpose being in your boat. Either way, you should get the LSS2 ducer. I guess if you wanted SS on the TM, you could run the LSS1 package on that.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

What happens to the HDS 5? Run it on the console for chart only? Whoo wee…that would be nice!

stratos_375
    Southern Wisconsin

Thanks for all the help!! If I don’t have to sell the HDS5 and LSS1 to fund the unit I might take your advice and mount it on the console! Thanks again!

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Your upgrade will be plug and play minus upgrading the SS transducer. By networking the units you will have SS at the bow. Touch units have 2 ethernet ports so networking will be easy unless you decide to keep the HDS 5 for the dash as well. Then you will need some networking components.

If you can swing it I would keep the 5 and sell the LSS-1 Module. Be able to use the 7 touch for SS and sonar and the 5 for mapping.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.