LOTW Walleyes, DIY and Bigger Fish

• curleytail

I’m wondering how many of you strike out on your own on LOTW during the ice season and are in search of both numbers of fish with potential to catch some quality fish as well.

I read many reports of guys renting sleeper shacks and being disappointed in catching numbers of small saugers, and maybe an eater walleye or two from 30 feet of water.

What are some keys in finding a better quality fish up there in the winter? Fishing reefs and island breaks and saddles in 15 to 25 feet? MN side or Canada side any better? How hard is it to strike out on a snowmobile and find fish on your own?

I’ve been going up to Morson Ontario the last several years fishing muskies in July and August, but my walleye experience is stopping for an hour here and there to catch a meal or two of walleyes while we’re up casting for muskies.

Always thought an on our own trip on snowmobiles for walleyes, maybe crappies, and maybe lake trout would be fun, but never quite know what to expect or where to start.

Tucker

B-man

In my experience after fishing the lake a few times a year for 20 years….for more consistent big fish you need to fish shallow (say 14-22′)

The downside is the bite can be quick, an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening…..but if you’re looking for a 26″+ walleye for a memory instead of a three man limit of 12″ saugers to eat, that’s your best bet.

The majority of my experience has been on the South shore for that kind of bite. 99% of the fisherman will be fishing deeper than you, they might get higher numbers, but you’re odds of a pig are better on the first main break in low light most of the time.

The fun part is there’s always a chance at a bonus pike, pout or sturgeon too at anytime.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

There’s a number of ways to target bigger eye’s up there, the best options imo is via snowmobile up by the islands. Or as B-Man said shallower on the south shore, or on some of the limited south shore structure. And another way is to fish all suspended marks, or set your lines higher in the water column at night. My PB thru the ice up there came on a set line 5 feet off the bottom at 10 o’clock at night.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

You need to have a snowmobile to venture toward the northern reefs. the main basin has decent fish but not the avg size as the reefs to the north will have. The rental shacks don’t go that far. it can be a fun adventure but best to go with a buddy as it is a long ways from normal traffic. you wont be alone but far fewer people.

curleytail

Bringing back an old thread I started. Looks like the trip to Red I was going to take is probably getting canceled last minute.

Still curious about lotw. This year it appears fishing will be just on the MN side for us from the US.

When the reefs and islands are mentioned, is that still the MN side of LOTW or is the Canadian side better? I know there’s more islands and reefs on the Canadian side but looks like there’s some in MN. What are good access points and how far of a snowmobile ride are we talking? 10 miles? 40 miles?

I’ve fished LOTW in the summer on the Canadian side and love it. An ice trip is tempting and interests me, and I have a good snowmobile. Just wondering what I’d be up against. Ideally would find a bite where a couple could be caught for supper and a chance at some nicer fish. A catered trip to small saugers just isn’t as appealing to me.

Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated!

Tucker

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Suspended fish in deep water, 10′ up off bottom. Be ready, be aggressive, fish above them. They come and go fast.

Tend to see tullies too in those suspended situations.

Pound holes, move move move. Patterns arise over time. Efficient effort is usually rewarded.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

When the reefs and islands are mentioned, is that still the MN side of LOTW or is the Canadian side better? I know there’s more islands and reefs on the Canadian side but looks like there’s some in MN. What are good access points and how far of a snowmobile ride are we talking? 10 miles? 40 miles?

Yes still MN for Garden, Knights, Oak etc. Islands. Garden is 26 miles I believe from Wheeler’s Point public access, and the snowmobile trail generally runs the border all the way up there. Just make sure you are prepared for mechanical issues that may arise, we had to leave a snowmobile up there one time and I think it was a few hundred dollars for a resort bomber to tow it back. The Rainy River is pretty underrated spot for big fish too, a lot of locals fish the river all winter and catch monsters including an occasional sturg.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The Rainy River is pretty underrated spot for big fish too, a lot of locals fish the river all winter and catch monsters including an occasional sturg.

Yes they do!
    Often the structure targeted here is slush current seams. Snow will pile up under the ice, creating new seams. Drill – find slush, drill – find slush, – drill -water –Fish! Slush can be several feet deep.
    Access and condition on the rainy in the winter is not for weak of heart. Deep snow is common! Use caution!
    SLush worst below open water sections of river, like below franz.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We go up and target big fish on the river through the ice. 1 oz jig head 3 inches off bottom and don’t touch it.

Otherwise on the lake we put miles and miles on. Caught many fish over 29 inches on that river through the ice. But never hit the 30. I also would not suggest a day shack up there unless you want to hammer 12 inch fish. Rent a sleeper and then run and gun on a sled all day. Go set up shallow after dark and catch nice walleyes

toddrun

I agree with most of what’s been said here already. If you want the trophy Walleye, fish the river, but know what you are doing and be careful. Otherwise, we have had good Walleye luck shallow on the outside of Pine Island in the early morning and in the evening low light periods. Have not been lucky enough to catch a big Walleye at night in a sleeper yet. During the day, the 12-15″ fish will keep you busy most anywhere. I will say, in my trips to the Islands/Reefs up North, I have not experienced any bigger fish, but its hard to get there early enough, and tough to stay out there late enough for low light fishing, cuz you are then traveling in the dark. In my 20+ years of fishing hard water on LOW, the trophy Walleye is still elusive for me. But on the other hand, I am yet to be skunked in a day of fishing either.

curleytail

Thanks for the advice so far. Maybe I should clarify a bit.

I probably wouldn’t make the trip looking for a 30 incher or bust. I’m really looking for a middle ground bite, something where you’re likely to get into a decent handful of 14 to 18 or 20 inch fish with a possible crack at a bigger fish.

Not trophy hunting, but I so often hear of people catching cigars all day and… well… I can go catch panfish at home.

I’ve only musky fished in Sabaskong bay. We sometimes jig a reef long enough to catch supper and most of those fish are 14 to 19 inches. I’d be ok with that.

What about crappie opportunities on the MN side? We’ve run into them on Sabaskong also and they always run nice.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.