Looking for a little help with shack placement on Mille Lacs…

• crappieguy

Not necessarily where, I know better than to ask that. More how.

We are bring up our wheelhouse the weekend of feb 1. No idea what snow cover will be like and we are wondering if we need to ask a resort / guide for a plowed spot.

Do people do that ever? Or are you just flat out on your own for getting somewhere? If if people do, any recommendations on who to ask?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

As of Sunday, there literally isn’t any snow for banking so getting around is easy.

As far as I know, you are pretty much on your own. You may get lucky and find an empty spot but if the snow isn’t too deep you shouldn’t have any issues.

B-man

We were out yesterday, same as Biggill stated, but lots of snow in the forecast.

Just call ahead a day or two to your resort and they can fill you in (their FB page might have some details too)

By then you’ll probably need to use one for plowed access.

crappieguy

We were out yesterday, same as Biggill stated, but lots of snow in the forecast.

Just call ahead a day or two to your resort and they can fill you in (their FB page might have some details too)

As far as plowed access, would they plow us a spot for a fee as well? Or do we just bring a couple shovels!

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

As far as plowed access, would they plow us a spot for a fee as well? Or do we just bring a couple shovels!

Yup, most will accommodate

There will probably be some spots already plowed, but if they’re full or you want a particular spot plowed just off the road, a sixer and a $20 should have you covered (in my experience anyway)

If you want a personal road blasted 1/4 mile long it’s a completely different story ($$$)

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

Most will do it for you if there isn’t a spot already available. They do not want you setting up on the road. More than likely someone will be out on the ice working anyways.

crappieguy

What about Out of the west side by garrison? There’s a lake or two we want to hit In that area and that would put us closer. Not sure who manages that ice road?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

It’s a pretty big lake. Find a resort with roads out to the flats. Park anywhere on a flat a fish away. Bring a portable or just enjoy the weather and scout around.

Was out last winter. Randomly picked a flat no one was fishing and pounded the eyes.

It really is that easy if the fish are biting.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

What about Out of the west side by garrison? There’s a lake or two we want to hit In that area and that would put us closer. Not sure who manages that ice road?

“Randy’s Rentals” are on the West side

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Garrison sports has a road. New owner younger guy. Can’t remember his name.

Wayne Schmaltz is the new owner. Local guy from Garrison, so that’s good.

“Randy’s Rentals” are on the West side

Randy’s is on the SW side, closer to Onamia than Garrison.

crappie guy, maybe you’re thinking of Myr Mar? Phil has ice roads out, just north of Garrison. Once upon a time he had sleeper rentals and private fish house service. I think that has faded in recent years but I know he still has plowed roads. Not sure if he’s out to the flats yet, I’ll know Sunday. Meanwhile you’ll have good access to both east and west reef and those aren’t pounded as hard like Garrison or many other “community” neighborhoods.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Lots of us locals would agree with you Ripjiggen.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I would literally launch anywhere else on the lake, and it has nothing to do with the fishing in the area. whistling

Lots of us locals would agree with you Ripjiggen.

Once upon a time you could hardly get in the door when it was “going on” at the bar, full launch boats in their heyday and a waiting list for a slip at the marina.

“Friendly Phil” misjudged his easy fortune, but perhaps it ended just the way he wanted. I think he finally just had enough of it all. For those that knew him he was far more intelligent than he’d lead you to believe. College educated with a Masters degree if I remember right.

The sorry side of this collapse was co-owner or (primary capital investor) Bobby Thomas. Bobby was a class act and personally put himself into Myr Mar and when it died, so did he. Passed away Thanksgiving day 2019. RIP Mr. Thomas cry

crappieguy

I would literally launch anywhere else on the lake, and it has nothing to do with the fishing in the area. whistling

Lol so don’t use myr mar is what your saying? We just plan on a couple day excursions to lakes west of ML so we were wanting an ice road on that side!

Can I dm you to take this offline?

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Barnacle Bills isn’t much further. Good road, nice people, good ice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.