Kids Today WTF

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Yesterday a guy held his 3 year old to pee on my utv tire/wheel because the kid wanted too!? I asked why and he just shrugged. I couldn’t believe it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m so sick of hearing that “kids these days are so bad.”

Kids have not changed. Parents, family structure, and the morals of adults in society that they should be able to lean on and be molded by have changed. When children take a deep breath on their own outside the womb they are a blank slate when it comes to behaviors, decision making, morals, etc.

All kids lie from the second they learn to shake their head yes or no. It’s from that point forward where who they encounter or raises them will have the biggest impact on who they become as a person.

Minors who commit crimes should have consequences. Parents who are terrible at their jobs should have consequences. If a kid thinks it’s ok to launch fireworks at someone else, they have issues. It is also likely that their parents have even larger issues and are failing at the most important job they will ever have.

100X agree. Kids are different today for various reasons. Parenting skills is a huge part of that for sure. I’d not say 100% of the change in kids but probably the biggest part of it.

dirtywater

I guess I’m the exception. I grew up in the 80s and 90s. Very strict parents and a rabid small-town police force made sure I was very aware of the potential consequences of my actions. Got my butt paddled often enough when I was a kid, ate the bar of lava soap, was once “grounded” for 6 months. None of that really factored in for me, I was gonna raise some hell one way or another. Some the milder things I did as a teen include shooting bottle rockets at people from my friends paddleboat; stealing cigs and booze from the liquor store; deucing on teachers doorsteps; hitting rocks at the neighbor kids with tennis rackets; breaking storefront windows etc. Let’s not even get into the drugs. Woof.

I live in St. Paul, my kids go to public school and aren’t exposed to a fraction of the crap I was in small-town wisco in the 80s. Because they are occupied. They have opportunities. And my wife and I have the opposite parenting approach, have never hit them. We operate on trust and respect with our kids, not fear and control, and they have yet to disappoint us.

I’ll also add that, since there is a lot of weird racial stuff on this thread: I got never faced a single legal consequence. I have no doubt in my mind that if I had been a black kid in that small Wisconsin town at that time, things would’ve turned out a little differently for me. I may not have had the chance to right the ship, go to college, have a family and career, etc.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Your upbringing, made you what you are today, like it or not. Well done by your parents & society in the 1980’s and 90’s waytogo

dirtywater

Your upbringing, made you what you are today, like it or not. Well done by your parents & society in the 1980’s and 90’s waytogo

So ur saying my kids are screwed jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If only they would ban these fire works. These incidents wouldn’t happen if the fireworks were illegal!!!

Coletrain27

If only they would ban these fire works. These incidents wouldn’t happen if the fireworks were illegal!!!

BAHAHAHA jester

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Hmmm grew up in the 60s/70s Father was a redneck drunk , big guy who had many bar room brawls. My brother and i were terrified of him . Yet we did disobey . When a parent is not their emotionally as a responsible adult , it makes it difficult to believe anyone gives a crap about your well being . I screwed up one night , he and mom were out drinking . I left the house to go to a buddies house where he was having a beer party. Long story short the ole man found me, beat me up and i spent the night in the hospital. How many of today’s social problems are directly related to alcohol and drugs ? My opinion is the bulk of them .

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

It’s probably got something to do with some of the parents standing right along side their kids.
    I think it’s to bad the good parents are not allowed to parent.

queenswake
    NULL

Kids are doing this stuff more now because they watch others doing it on social media and film themselves doing it and sharing it out, too. It’s why the carjackings and other property crimes are up, too. These kids are living in an alternate reality where everything is just a game.

TMF89

I place most of the blame on the parents. Of course I do that as a single guy with no kids, but it is what it is. I’m usually a hair right of center on most issues, but if I could snap my fingers and make a law requiring a test or some sort of certification for people to be allowed to have kids, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

I have a friend who is trying to raise a child who is constantly getting into problems. He got in trouble for fighting a group of kids who were physically assaulting (pulled him out of his car window at a drive-thru) a mentally challenged kid. The group of kids were in a foster home, with the youngest kid that threw a punch being 9 years old. Their foster mother is a juvenile delinquent parole officer. Or at least she was, until it was discovered that she was using her access to find out addresses of kids her foster kids didn’t like, so they could go vandalize their homes and assault the people living there. Of course, I believe she still works for the jurisdiction, just not as a parole officer. Because of course they wouldn’t actually want to fire people who tick certain boxes, no matter the justification.

MX1825

Very little fear of consequences from parents or authorities.
    I used to get a size 12 boot in the moon when I messed up as a kid.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Very little fear of consequences from parents or authorities.
    I used to get a size 12 boot in the moon when I messed up as a kid.

So did I but it never stopped me from doing many dumb things. My old man used to beat me and it did no good. I pushed back and got in more trouble. Then jail and lots of other stupid things happened. Took me to have my son before I grew up. I’m sure my back story is pretty far opposite from many of the people on this forum. But getting my ass kicked on the regular only made me push further. I raise my kids on respect, responsibility, and I’m as strict as I am fun. I think alot of the kids you guys are talking about don’t have those kind of house holds or families. Beating the kid isn’t always a good thing. I was terrified of my dad but in all reality it didn’t stop me from doing the dumb stuff I wanted.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Kids will do whatever they are allowed to get away with. And we have a Governor who let Minneapolis and the 3rd precinct burn largely by kids. And a MSP Mayor and City Council (and majority of residents who re-elected/elected them) that have neutered the police. So we are left with kids thinking there are no repercussions for their actions, because there often are not. So the fireworks, stolen cars and increases in crime are all a derivative of that.

Completely disagree with the residents neutering the Police. That amendment to the charter was handily struck down by the residents. In our district the incumbent city councilman was ousted due to his stance on police. The council is still radically slanted to the left and it’s the council who have allowed this poop to go on. Walz has enabled the behavior with his agenda

queenswake
    NULL

Completely disagree with the residents neutering the Police. That amendment to the charter was handily struck down by the residents. In our district the incumbent city councilman was ousted due to his stance on police. The council is still radically slanted to the left and it’s the council who have allowed this poop to go on. Walz has enabled the behavior with his agenda

Yep. There is a group o younger super left-leaning Mpls residents who are anti-police in line with the super left city council. The rest of the residents are tired of the constant property crime, car jackings, muggings and just want to feel safe.

It was very telling that North Minneapolis rejected the charter amendment by an overwhelming majority. The fact that a majority black population wanted more police says a lot. They want to feel safe too!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That is a good and fair point Matt.

maddog
    Park Rapids Mn.

Back in my day 1960s I stole some tackle from the Gambles store, Dad called the cops and the took me to the cop shop and cut all the tackle out of my sweatshirt I was scared shitless, then they took me back home in the squad car where Dad was waiting for me he was a bartender bouncer so you can probably guess it was a bit more than a spanking.I learned that it really hurt to steal. So yeah things are different with kids now days, hands off just give them an I pad

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Most the kids you guys are talking about don’t come from loving homes in the first place. That’s the major issue

big_g
    Isle, MN

Most the kids you guys are talking about don’t come from loving homes in the first place. That’s the major issue

Exactly. A dad who paddled your as7 was at least there to do it. I am sure when they weren’t beating kids, they helped out in other ways.

MX1825

Just to be clear there is a difference between getting a kids attention with a spanking and grounding. I’m not advocating a beating with broken bones or black eyes.

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.