Jerkbaits / Slash Bait Questions

• Kentucky Boy 75
    Champlin, MN

I’m new to the idea of using jerk / slash bait. I purchased an X-Rap 10 in silver last year and had minimal results. 99% of my fishing is from the shore at metro lakes or neighborhood ponds for LMB and pike. Keeping my lure to about 6 feet of water or less is a must. Water clarity is also around 3 – 5 feet of visibility.

Can they be used year round or just in the spring and fall when water temps are lower?

Could a brighter color like clown be more effective in darker water?

How long do you let them suspend motionless between jerks?

Is the X-Rap a good way to go or is there a better lure to use? Please include model size and color if possible.

Thank you all for any advice you have for me.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

The X-Rap 10 and 12 are great lures for pike and if silver bait swims in your lake than that’s the right color. However with that being said it’s not a bad idea to switch colors now and then to something outrageous like a clown color. They can be used Spring, summer and fall, however fishing from shore would tend to limit you to the spring and fall when the pike are in shallower water (particularly in the spring). In the spring with water below ~ 45 degrees I pause about 5 seconds. By summer I pause them only for 1 or 2 second and use a much more vigorous twitch (or jerk as you put it). Watch the Video.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.