It’s Go Time

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Getting the boat out of storage tonight. Will be heading across the border for the next month probably. Can’t wait to hammer on some bass!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Always a good day when the boat comes home. I used to know that very same feeling.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ya it’s go time.
    Going to the cabin this weekend to punch some holes! waytogo

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Ya it’s go time.

Gross. We need a puking emoji. I can’t even stomach thinking about ice fishing still. Just got back from Orlando and did a guided trip and it was so nice to drop the hammer on some largemouth.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Yes it is! Won’t be bass unfortunately, but the boat will be on water next week on a local lake. Hoping for some cooperative crappies.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s been boat season for 2 months.

How was Florida bass fishing ?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

How was Florida <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass fishing ?
    [/quote]

That’s a thing? whistling

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s been boat season for 2 months.

How was Florida <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass fishing ?

It was good. I was hoping for bigger fish but came back with a few new techniques to try. We stayed at Disney Swan resort and I literally saw a 7 lber in the pond at the hotel but you couldn’t fish it. I thought about channeling my inner Googan Squad and sneak out there but I chose to be an adult.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Ya it’s go time.

Be careful they pulled a guy out of Rainy last week that thought ice was safe and I’m betting we have more than you do.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ha!
    Belle scolded me when I told her I was punchin holes this weekend. crazy

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Go for it EP but be very cautious use your spud.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Go for it EP but be very cautious use your spud.

I see what ya did there. wink
    However I did use it quite a bit in the Keys last weekend. tongue

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Time for a new one.

LabDaddy1

Yeah mahto, those Florida ponds are gems for big bass. Not all created equal tho. Got my 2 biggest back when I lived in tampa, out of a tiny pond. A 24” and a 25”, didn’t get weights on them unfortunately.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yeah mahto, those Florida ponds are gems for big bass. Not all created equal tho. Got my 2 biggest back when I lived in tampa, out of a tiny pond. A 24” and a 25”, didn’t get weights on them unfortunately.

It’s pretty wild. The guide that actually guides on the waterways that the resorts were on that I talked to said his biggest was last fall and it was an 11 lb 2 oz bass. Crazy. I fished the natural lake in Magic Kingdom because that’s all they had open. Felt like I was fishing in MN so it wasn’t as fun as I’d hoped.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What kinda tactics did you use in Florida

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

What kinda tactics did you use in Florida

Chatterbait, spinnerbait, and dragging a texas rigged 7 inch power worm over the tops of weed flats which is what caught all my fish. I will be trying that one here.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Drilled a couple holes. 8″ maybe of soft (er) ice.
    I’m heading to the log Cabin for meat raffle, Corona and pull tabs.
    I figure that’s much safer.

Michael Best

After seeing todays satellite image it looks like Poinsett in SD is ice free.
    Time to chase some bronze backs.

From the pics and reports I have seen Big Stone should be ice free by the end of this week.
    The first tourney on the lake is May 5th. If the fourth is a nice day I might have to take the day off and go fishing.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Man it’s a nice feeling when everything works the way it should when you get your boat out of winter hibernation.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Man it’s a nice feeling when everything works the way it should when you get your boat out of winter hibernation.

I just did that yesterday too. It was not very warm cruising around the lake though.

I changed out the front black rubber bow roller on my trailer with a more durable yellow poly one while I was there.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I always worry I’m going to have dead batteries but I think I’ve found the right technique. Haven’t lost one for three straight winters. No trickle charger either.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Jumped across river this morning and got on a lake in WI looking for bass and making sure everything on the boat was still working correctly. Boat was great, fishing was not. Only saw one bass, no panfish and marked maybe 2 fish. Highest water temp I found was 47 in a small cove. Most fish are still out deep and not biting. Good to be on the water again though.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Anyone use HB Mega Live. I have a compatible Helix. I’ve heard mixed reviews. Any thoughts? Thanks, Sam

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have not. However I’ve seen it a bunch. Certainly not as good as Livescope, but it’s gotten better since it first came out. Personally I would rather have 360 than Live for bass fishing. Although when I do finally get 360 later this year or next year, I will probably say I want live imaging.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Jumped across river this morning and got on a lake in WI looking for <em class=”ido-tag-em”>bass and making sure everything on the boat was still working correctly. Boat was great, fishing was not. Only saw one bass, no panfish and marked maybe 2 fish. Highest water temp I found was 47 in a small cove. Most fish are still out deep and not biting. Good to be on the water again though.

This is the time where a slip bobber jig and chunk of nightcrawler will out perform any thing for sunnies, crappies and the bass love them. We get all 3 while looking for sunfish this time of year. Angle worms work great to but a chunk of crawler is better. I’ll bring them with to salvage a day of bad fishing

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

They do but not when there’s no fish to be found.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.