Is the cold causing any one issues ?

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My thermostat is set at 67 and I woke up to a house sitting at 58. (Older farm house) and I obviously have some inefficiencies. So I plugged in some space heaters and also my fake fire place heater to help along the furnace on a day like today, I must have some leaky doors and windows or something?
    Buddy of mine called me and his septic froze last night. He got out of bed to wet feet. This cold and lack of snow isn’t good.
    Hope every one gets through just fine.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Its keeping me from putting my boat in the river.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Now that I don’t have to work outside anymore I like it

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Now that I don’t have to work outside anymore I like it

Good day to work on the dock. Just make sure you have that yetti cooler to keep your beer from freezing

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m trying to get a house and couple projects priced out and to contract with clients. Seems this cold weather has caused some vendors’ computers and email to shut down flame flame flame flame flame

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The weather stripping on the front door got all froze up. Tore it up when I went to open the door last night. Add that to the honey do list for this weekend….

-J.

CaptainMusky

So far the only issue for me is my front door froze shut. I bought a little electric ceramic heater and it keeps it from freezing, but the door will not latch so I have to deadbolt.
    My freestanding fireplace I bumped up to 70 on Monday and its holding strong at 70.4 as I type this. We have electric baseboards as well, but the fireplace is primary source of heat.
    So far so good.
    I run hot water periodically to keep water going through lines to septic to hopefully avoid any issues there.

Sharon
    SE Metro

My GSP Remi didn’t handle our -36 air temps this morning when he went out to do his business. His face was covered in ice, his paws were frozen and tender, and he started walking slowly. Kinda scary! So I helped him back inside quick and swaddled him in blankets that I just warmed up a titch in the dryer. My other GSP Fritz on the other hand took the world’s quickest poo and than ran for the door like he was being chased by gorillas. He should teach Remi to do that!

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Froze my washing machine drain that goes out into my back yard.
    Small flood in upstairs laundry room and water in basement. Didn’t know washers held that much water until yesterday.
    -32 in truck in Amery.
    Be safe everyone

glenn57
    cold spring mn

34 below here in central Minnesota. Car won’t start even with a charger on it all night. Work from home I guess.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

34 below here in central Minnesota. Car won’t start even with a charger on it all night. Work from home I guess.

Kenworth wouldn’t start either. Block heater on and 2 magnetic heaters on it. Starts runs for 3 seconds and dies. I’d assume it’s a def issue. So I had to drive my personal truck. First time in 9 years. Luckily my tools are already onsite

Mr. Derek
    NULL

I had to jump start my truck this morning. In hindsight I should have put a new battery in this fall, it is 5 years old now.

Reef W

Hyundai Hybrid started like it wasn’t even cold out. Mazda CX-5 gave a few sickly sounding tries and now the battery is dead. I’m not really clear if I can jumpstart another car off the hybrid or not ??? I have a battery pack jumpstarter but I left it my truck that is at the dealership because the wipers stopped working this weekend once it got really cold flame

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just another beautiful Minnesota day. No issues today that I didn’t have last week. )

CaptainMusky

Hyundai Hybrid started like it wasn’t even cold out. Mazda CX-5 gave a few sickly sounding tries and now the battery is dead. I’m not really clear if I can jumpstart another car off the hybrid or not ??? I have a battery pack jumpstarter but I left it my truck that is at the dealership because the wipers stopped working this weekend once it got really cold flame

Love your avatar!
    My wife and kid haven’t started their vehicles since Monday. My son’s sits outside. I should probably find the block heater cord and plug it in and make sure it gets running today. As crazy as it sounds, it doesn’t feel nearly as bad out today as it did yesterday since there is very little wind. Plus its going to actually warm up today. Yesterday the warmest temp was at 12:01 AM. Temps fell all day.

Kyhl
    Savage

My GSP Remi didn’t handle our -36 air temps this morning when he went out to do his business. His face was covered in ice, his paws were frozen and tender, and he started walking slowly. Kinda scary! So I helped him back inside quick and swaddled him in blankets that I just warmed up a titch in the dryer. My other GSP Fritz on the other hand took the world’s quickest poo and than ran for the door like he was being chased by gorillas. He should teach Remi to do that!

Similar, one of our GSPs has a broken infected toenail with quick exposed. It’s not been fun trying to keep it in a bandage to keep from frostbite.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

We were affected by the power outage last night. Had no power for 5 hrs. House it 54 degrees. Had water shut off and drains open expecting the worse since they estimated power restored at 3am. Oh how much I like electricity.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Dogs took a pee and sat down. No poop this morning. I hope they make it until I get home.

Kyhl
    Savage

We were affected by the power outage last night. Had no power for 5 hrs. House it 54 degrees. Had water shut off and drains open expecting the worse since they estimated power restored at 3am. Oh how much I like electricity.

We must be just east of you. Our power flickered off for a few seconds then popped back on. I saw the Excel estimate last night of 3AM for people west of us.
    Scary stuff.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My house windows are froze up and covered with ice around the inside edges. Looks worse than ever before. My back sliding door keeps freezing shut forcing us to let the dog out through the garage.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Had a little battle with Black Ice this AM couple of the old NASCAR moves and I was back on the track. Straight Ahead toast

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

German shephard did the same. Pee and ran back to the door. Little dog just layed right down and started crying. Let the wife deal with that.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

FW was supposed to pick me up after work as we carpool on the days she works. Get a call at 5:15, car won’t start. Gets one of her coworkers to come pick me up, we try to jump it, not happening. Get a ride home and get the kids home safe, I head out to get a new battery and put it in her car in the -25 weather. 2nd case of frostbite this week…

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

German shephard did the same. Pee and ran back to the door. Little dog just layed right down and started crying. Let the wife deal with that.

Dog booties for the little dogs prevent a few rescue and recovery missions for us in this weather.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

-33 temp and -62 wind chill right now here at home. Drove my wife into work at the hospital in Duluth this morning and the black ice on the interstate was bad. Wind is whipping snow and car exhaust freezing down. They actually shut down the High bridge from Superior to Duluth for awhile last night due to black ice.
    Was without heat from 8pm Monday to 11am Tuesday due to a inducer fan blowing a bearing. Luckily there was one left in stock in Duluth when the repair guy called them at 7am. Luckily we have two gas fireplaces that I ran the whole 15 hours to keep the house warmed.
    Ammo doesn’t even want to think about going outside. Smart lab grin

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Got lucky enough to only have to complain about frost on the windows thus far. Just hopping the car starts so i can leave work tonight… doah

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Too many hot showers. My skin is as dry as paper.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Faired pretty well here no problem with electricity, gasification boiler running just fine house at 70. Garage is another matter even thou it has 6 inch insulated walls and 24 inches in the ceiling the insulated garage doors gasket along the sides is really letting in the wind. Do they make a better sealing gasket for that area of the doors or a better way of sealing it?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I had to burn an unplanned day of PTO since both school and daycare closed. Fortunately not much exterior building is going on this week so not missing much other than a paid day I could have spent fishing or hunting. I turned the thermostat up a couple degrees yesterday in anticipation of the furnace not keeping up, but it was doing just fine so turned it back down amd still just fine. The people who have houses more out in the open probably had it a lot worse off.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Was wondering why the bedroom was so cold this morning. Thought furnace might have gone out.

On further investigation found large 20-pound tomcat had sealed himself like a Tupperware lid over the floor register and was sound asleep. Cat appears to be about 98% efficient at absorbing incoming heat. I suppose as an added benefit, he serves as a secondary furnace filter.

Grouse

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.