Is the cold causing any one issues ?

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Doing my part by running the heat lower per request due to natural gas issue. Its a little cold in here today. Ill live.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

I just got a text message on my phone…

Due to extreme temps, Consumers(a large gas and electric company) asks everyone to lower their heat to 65 or less through Friday.

the reason why

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Spent the day at our shop yesterday,propane back ups went out, outdoor wood boiler ran out of wood over night, all lines frozen, four radiators burst, two toilets froze solid, eight to ten other spots of broken water lines, boss a little crabby.

yikes that sounds like a bad situation. hoping for the best

folke2000

Nothing else to say but THANK YOU and be Careful.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Just picked up a new to me truck last Thursday. At -15 it started just fine but at – holly it is cold it killed the battery and would not start. Went and replaced the battery with an interstate and closed the hood, the truck emblem fell off.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just picked up a new to me truck last Thursday. At -15 it started just fine but at – holly it is cold it killed the battery and would not start. Went and replaced the battery with an interstate and closed the hood, the truck emblem fell off.

Dang Fords ha ha ha. Replace it with the dodge ram emblem rotflol waytogo

Gitchi Gummi

Was driving to work (downtown Duluth) yesterday morning and went over a normal “Minnesota sized” pot hole that along with the -30 temps was enough to snap my exhaust with a clean break right behind the muffler. I thought some high school kid in a rice burner was trying to race me before I looked around and realized it was my car making the noise… Its only a 5 year old subaru too.

Also, my tank-less propane water heater has been working intermittently since Wed morning. It throws an error code that says the gas shut off valve is not fully opened (which I didn’t close)… Sooooo kind of waiting to see if it fixes itself when the temps warm up.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Was driving to work (downtown Duluth) yesterday morning and went over a normal “Minnesota sized” pot hole that along with the -30 temps was enough to snap my exhaust with a clean break right behind the muffler. I thought some high school kid in a rice burner was trying to race me before I looked around and realized it was my car making the noise… Its only a 5 year old subaru too.

Now you need a roof rack and a snorkel kit, you will fit in with the Subaru group in forest lake rotflol rotflol

MNdrifter

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MNdrifter wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>phishingruven01 wrote:</div>
    I just got a text message on my phone…

Due to extreme temps, Consumers(a large gas and electric company) asks everyone to lower their heat to 65 or less through Friday.

Yeah. Long grueling hours working for “large gas and electric company”. Haven’t seen my bed or family much in the last couple days…. 3 1/2 hrs left of another 16 hour shift. Unless it turns into another 18 hour shift again….. coffee

Thanks bud. It helps alot of people.

Thanks, trust me, we will get it back running 100 percent ASAP. I’ve got to get to the Maple Lake fishing derby by Saturday! And then I’m going to get “unfit for duty” toast and then sleep for a couple days after! Headed back in now for another 16 hour shift. Be home tomorrow around 9 am. coffee

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

No issues here!

Attachments:
    1. 19551.jpeg

B-man

No issues here!

Toilets keep getting fancier and fancier….. Transparent tanks??

What’ll they think of next?? shock

That sucks man, you have a lot of work on your hands other than a new toilet. No fun.

B-man

We got by virtually issue free.

Only froze and cracked a $5 garden nozzle in the fish/deer cleaning station in the garage. The garage is heated but the drain is open to the elements (daylights to a container outside). Note to self, don’t leave the nozzle hanging in the sink in -30 temps…..

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190131_160832.jpg

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

My brother in law has a crappy old furnace that went out so I had an extra infant for a 30hr slumber party. Only issue I had was that my deck door froze shut. 30min with a hair dryer and paper towels had her open. 05 and 06 vehicles started and ran fine.

I always wish something would go wrong so I could go into full tinker mode with heaters, generators, family in the ice house, etc., but it never does…

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Lost power at cabin on Cumberland Wednesday morning at 2 am. We keep temp at 50 during week and don’t turn the water off. Neighbor called at 8 am because their security alarm went off. Their temp dropped 19 degrees before power was restored at 10 am. He had his heat set to 60. That puts my temp code to freezing. To close for comfort. I need to start turning my water off during the week.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

All vehicles started… including the ones sitting outside. However, the phantom ABS sensor light is now on in the 05 Silverado. The gauge cluster also has needles all over hell. Anyone know what that costs to get an instrument cluster rebuilt? 148k on it and has been a reliable work vehicle.

A quick furnace filter swap and busting some ice out of the exhaust at 1:30am last night has been all that’s been needed to keep the house at 70.

The house is only 11 years old, but the windows did start to ice a bit.

Overall we’ve been lucky.

Charles

What in the hell is the story with the toilet?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What in the hell is the story with the toilet?

His wives poopy one

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

A guy’s heat went out at his cabin, froze up and blew the china off.

I’ll tell you, I’ve had to go in and repair a few homes when their heat went off and everything freezes up. You’re tracking down leaks all over the place, the toilets, valves, faucets are all ruined. It turns into quite the project.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ll tell you, I’ve had to go in and repair a few homes when their heat went off and everything freezes up. You’re tracking down leaks all over the place, the toilets, valves, faucets are all ruined. It turns into quite the project.

Nothing like the dock though rotflol

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

Nothing like the dock though rotflol

I’m just glad I wasn’t working on the dock yesterday doah

Aaron Kalberer

After a lot of kicking and screaming I got my Crew cab s10 fishing machine started… Time for a tune up.

Bucky I believe guage clusters are anywhere from $100-$200 to get rebuilt, but I would pull it in a heated building if you can and everything will most likely sort itself out. If you have a soldering iron they are easy to rebuild yourself, I have done a few.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

4 of my ten hilti hammerdrill batteries decided to freeze up. They read full charge but dont do anything. Genset in the back of my work truck wont even sound like it wants to fire.
    Off to the shop I go. She needs to sit inside for a day in the warmth

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

About 4 in the afternoon on Weds I was tired of being in the house all day and decided I should start the heater in my work room in the garage so I could spend time out there. My 20 pound propane bottle was froze up. The best I could get from the heater was a spit and pop, then zip. I knew I had 3/4 of a tank of propane. This was the first time I’ve had a bottle balk at the cold. Today I took an empty in to have filled. No go. The place I took the bottle to could not pump it. Apparently they haven’t been able to fill any bottles for almost a week. I just went to an exchange to save on farting around and having to make another trip. The cold does weird things to stuff we take for granted.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

To all the men and women working to help people in distress, THANK YOU! Your kindness and perseverance will be rewarded!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

To all the men and women working to help people in distress, THANK YOU! Your kindness and perseverance will be rewarded!

waytogo waytogo waytogo waytogo

outdoorsmn

Our basement heat was not working throughout this cold snap. We came back from out of town the week before to a house at 39 degrees. Boiler was not working, got a new ignitor but it still wasn’t working property, pressure was low and the basement pipes baseboards would not work. I can also hear air pockets in the upstairs pipes but they are still producing heat. Thank god for a wood burning in the basement.

We also had a sink valve pop off which started pouring water into the basement (we thought a pipe burst), luckily we were home, heard it pop and shut off the main water valve before it was to much of a mess.

We’ve been told it’s time for a whole new boiler system, the current one is reaching 25 years old. Never had a problem until we’re out of town, of course.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.