Is the cold causing any one issues ?

• fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

Other then my Hot water froze my truck wont start everything else is good……A????t least I stocked up Crown Royal ! Budweiser ! plenty of food and wood. -37 in Walker this AM

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Other then my Hot water froze my truck wont start everything else is good……A????t least I stocked up Crown Royal ! Budweiser ! plenty of food and wood. -37 in Walker this AM

maybe a wall would’ve kept the cold out!! waytogo rotflol sorry couldn’t help myself. Stay warm and safe. Hope ya don’t need to start rationing that bud and royal!! waytogo

Whopper Stopper
    Forest Lake MN

09 Buick Enclave wouldn’t start, the battery wouldn’t turn it over. The battery is only 3 years old and it’s an AC Delco. Kind of surprised me.

WS

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My only issue is that I need to leave the house to get to my tattoo appointment…
    DT

Nice what kind of ink are you getting? Who does your work?

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

My 2001 highlander with 240k miles started up this morning, we park it outside. She didn’t sound too happy about it though, needed to give her a bit of gas to get her goin though.

I’m lucky enough to be able to work from home, so I have a nice fire going in the fireplace and enjoying being inside.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

Glenn now that was funny. Good one…. wave

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

Woke up to an error message from DirecTV saying there was no power connection to the SWS (whatever that is). Wife chewed me out via text for not paying the bill – umm it’s on autopay.

So now I get to call “customer service” roll and talk to Habib in India where it is 117° and never drops below 70° and try to explain the issue. Looking forward to that as I do with any and all phone calls to communication companies.

SWS = Single Wire Switch, it is a device built into the LNA/LNB assembly (the thingy at the and of the dish that points back at the reflector. Since about 2012 they are built in, before that you had to run 4 individual lines to an external SWM that then broke out to the receivers. The SWS allows one wire to feed multiple receivers using a simple high frequency splitter.

It was not uncommon to lose power at temps below -20, what happens is the center conductor in the LNB has metal tabs that in extreme cold lose connection with the center conductor on the cable.

If I remember correctly it may give you an error that the splitter lost power, but the splitter is a pasive device and passes power from the receiver on port1 to the LNB on the dish.

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

I feel bad for the folks that live just North of me in Savage, about 5000 homes were without power. I made sure I had gas for the generator and extra oil in case of needing a change. Got lucky and didnt need it.

Dogs are not happy about going outside, pretty sure one of them will have an accident in the house at some point today.

Both vehicles didnt want to start, the Jeep was plugged in and that wasnt enough. Found out with Jeep/RAM/Dodge/Chrysler that have the proximity fob and button start you can step on the brake and hold the button down and it will keep turning over. After about 2 revolutions the Jeep fired up, the wifes car could hardly turn over and when I was about to give up it sparked to life.

Luckily other than that been doing ok.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Well just got the call from the school. School is cancelled for tomorrow for pretty much the whole Duluth area.
    Temps are dropping to -35 in Cloquet tomorrow morning and even with the wind dying down, tomorrow looks like -40+ wind chills for much of the day.
    Ran all three vehicles out to town and topped off their tanks, just to warm/run them for awhile. Just remembered there is no mail delivery today. Guess I won’t be watching the “Jeremiah Johnson” dvd I ordered off Amazon tonight, bummer frown

Sharon
    SE Metro

My only issue is that I need to leave the house to get to my tattoo appointment…
    DT

Awesome! Getting more work done on your arm? I thought about going in and getting something done for my birthday, but I’m going to hold off for a bit. )

Iowaboy1

-25 here in the country this morning,and of course my truck starts right up but the FW’s truck says uh uh,no way not today !!
    she calls in,I go to work and put in five hours and come home early to replace it while the sun is still shining.
    funny how a ten minute job can take a half hour when you figure in running back into the house to warm up a bit every few minutes.
    I cant complain much,that interstate battery was nine and a half years old.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

No issues yet. Everything started, including the Yamaha Kodiak in the garage.

I’m just hoping the Xcel natural gas shortage doesn’t extend north of St Cloud. I have gas heat. I just moved up here and don’t want any frozen pipes.

Roy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>xplorer wrote:</div>

I make that same drive to the hospital but from Superior and enter 35 from the Bong Bridge. It is scary how much ice is on the bridge and on the highway as soon as the temps drop. The over pass on 35 by Heritage Arena is horrible for the freezing exhaust.

Yup it is. Worst spot for me is the hill just before Midway road coming north from cloquet. 9 years ago come Monday, I lost it on black ice on that hill and flipped my truck off the interstate at 5:40 am. Landed on my roof and missed meeting my maker by a few inches when the cab roof caved in from coming down on an old hard ice plow bank. Ended up being able to put the window down (or since I was upside down, up) and tunnel my way out thru the snow. Trooper who eventually showed up thought I had rolled it down the embankment but then realized it had flipped once and then spun it’s way in a full 540 on the roof down it. Said that having a topper on the truck probably saved my life or the cab would have completely crushed in on me.
    I have to drive that spot every day, and on days like these, there’s a pucker factor of 10 when I go thru there.

Yikes! Well I’m thankful you weren’t hurt, or worse. I have a similar pucker spot. The Duluth bound side of the Bong Bridge has a long gradual left bend before you approach the span. I hit black ice in that spot a few years ago. Thought I had it collected before it spun hard and my front end smashed the wall. Front of the truck had a wheel up on top of the cement guard rail. Once I caught my breath I backed it down and limped it home (after picking up my bumper, headlights, etc). I am now the only 4×4 truck going 40mph over the bridge when temps dip below 30.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    Sometimes my dongs would sit down in the snow

Now that sounds cold!

I want to know where the other one is hiding…or maybe I don’t.

…sorry

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

I just got a text message on my phone…

Due to extreme temps, Consumers(a large gas and electric company) asks everyone to lower their heat to 65 or less through Friday.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Due to extreme temps, Consumers(a large gas and electric company) asks everyone to lower their heat to 65 or less through Friday.

Excel sent that to me this morning. And then told me we may loose it due some main breaking. Thank the lord that didnt effect us.

MNdrifter

Yeah. Long grueling hours working for “large gas and electric company”. Haven’t seen my bed or family much in the last couple days…. 3 1/2 hrs left of another 16 hour shift. Unless it turns into another 18 hour shift again….. coffee

Attachments:
    1. 5C5E8205-A5E9-4F76-85C8-05515F2219A8.jpeg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Fuel gelled in my truck last night, wife got the calll that she is home again today, and the dog hasn’t played outside for a couple days………..looks like another day of not getting anything done flame flame flame flame

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

My kid had his gas shut down yesterday. They told him it could be today or maybe Friday before they turn it back on.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

got were down to -34 here at the house but way back up to -29 right now. No issues here, other than just tired of it being so cold.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Balmy -30 when arriving home from a 12 hour trip from Oklahoma City.

I-35 was littered with jelled up semi’s and flat tires.

Be safe and watch out for one another as these temps kill, and quick.

Attachments:
    1. 75F87C51-95DB-46C6-B49D-82B81913C84C.jpeg

zooks

Was wondering why the bedroom was so cold this morning. Thought furnace might have gone out.

On further investigation found large 20-pound tomcat had sealed himself like a Tupperware lid over the floor register and was sound asleep. Cat appears to be about 98% efficient at absorbing incoming heat. I suppose as an added benefit, he serves as a secondary furnace filter.

Grouse

This was an LOL for me today, thanks Grouse.

Besides some drafty windows and doors and the kids cooped at home, I’m lucky that nothing has gone wrong for me. Both vehicles started and ran just fine, no worries about frozen pipes or broken furnace or no power/gas, knock on wood. Hope everyone stays safe and warm, only have about 24-30 more hours to go…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

0 issues. Nada, nothing. woot

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>phishingruven01 wrote:</div>

Yeah. Long grueling hours working for “large gas and electric company”. Haven’t seen my bed or family much in the last couple days…. 3 1/2 hrs left of another 16 hour shift. Unless it turns into another 18 hour shift again….. coffee

Thanks bud. It helps alot of people.

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

Had a small freeze in a water pipe yesterday morning, didn’t take long to heat back up and fix it. My vehicle wouldn’t start either, wife’s SUV started up just fine, tried to jump mine and still wouldn’t start. flame Battery is only a year old and a charge, we will see tonight I guess

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My kenworth must be gelled up and the def tank is solid as a rock blush
    Think this is gonna cause a few problems. -35 at my place right now. No fun.
    Kid is going crazy, both dogs are wild, wife is getting frustrated, and it’s to cold to go to work

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

No issues for us yet. I am glad that I insulated and installed a heater in our garage this fall, it’s made for happy vehicles and a happy dog!

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Spent the day at our shop yesterday,propane back ups went out, outdoor wood boiler ran out of wood over night, all lines frozen, four radiators burst, two toilets froze solid, eight to ten other spots of broken water lines, boss a little crabby.

Attachments:
    1. 614433E6-4051-4798-9BFB-C360FAAC5747.jpeg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Long grueling hours working for “large gas and electric company”.

I concur. THANK YOU! toast

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.