Iowaboy 1

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Just wanted to give a proper shout out to my buddy Sheldon. So I started having problems late last year with my Merc when out on Kab. Had a bad misfire a couple miles out and had to limp it back in. Sitting there at the cabin pissed off, I decided to send him a text and see if he had a moment. Mind you this was Labor day weekend. He was calling my phone within moments and luckily I handed the phone off to my friend who is also a wrench but never worked on anything like my Opti. Within a half hour or so it was running again and we hit the lake to finish out trip. So fast forward next time on the water local had more problems. So I decided to take it down to Sheldon, it’s a four plus hour drive. Dropped it off and let him have over the winter. He found lots of small problems and made a bunch of improvements but still something wasn’t right. He worked so hard to find the final issue (Compressor). He gave me on hell of a deal. Just had a chance to get it on the water and it ran great, has more poop than it did before. Sorry for the long write up, just can’t say enough great things about this man and his work ethic. Thanks again bud your the best, anyone needing repairs or service get it to him, it will be worth it.

AK Guy

The wonders of IDO forums. Looks like Sheldon will get even more people asking about engine issues.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sheldon has helped me out numerous times as well. Great guy, miss his shop update posts.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ya gotta lookout because if he can’t fix it he’ll blow it up rotflol

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

EP brings up a good point,the boy likes to see $h!t go boom.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Sheldon saved my butt a couple of times.
    Also miss his post.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have heard that he likes a good explosion, if I recall he tried to send me a video of one of the times you guys were down there. He probably felt bad for me and had to fix it. My insurance company may have dropped me if he blew it up. It was a bad insurance year last year.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have heard that he likes a good explosion, if I recall he tried to send me a video of one of the times you guys were down there. He probably felt bad for me and had to fix it. My insurance company may have dropped me if he blew it up. It was a bad insurance year last year.

Yeah they don’t like when you actually get money from them.
    Sheldon is the man. He is a great guy and missed around here.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

He is officially a Suzuki dealer as of yesterday. applause

glenn57
    cold spring mn

^^^^^^ rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol gawd his ears gotta be ringing something fierce!!!!! jester

klang

I would also agree on Sheldon, One of if not the top marine mechanic in the state. He will treat you right!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Jimmy you have to add a little gas or some lantern oil with that also,better fireball.

mojo

Great man in so many ways.
    Glad he got you squared away JR, though I never doubted he would.
    Very happy to hear he finalized the Suzuki dealership process. I know he’ll be successful, and I hope it makes his life easier.

Iowaboy1

Firstly, my thoughts are with Jon Jordan tonight, for those reading this, please keep him and his family in your prayers.

I am always humbled when someone takes the time to write up something like this, especially when the way I look at it is this, I did what I was paid to do and I did it to the best of my given abilities.
    Thank you John, it is deeply appreciated and it was my pleasure working for you.

Man what a mess, I had taken my boat to EPG’s house last year so that there wasnt any chance John was going to miss out on his trip to Kab incase his boat wasnt done at the body shop on time, it was, and the troubles began shortly there after.
    As he said, I walked Al through a few things to give me an idea of what was going on, a few very simple tests gave me an idea but the soot fouled plugs was part of the answer, the thought was bad fuel or a fuel issue and soon enough it was at my shop.
    Like John stated he left it with me all winter, I was able to check a few things the day he dropped it off, no codes,pressures were correct,injectors were so so but nothing jumped out, hhhmm, this wasnt going to be easy.

Here and there I was able to do some testing and run it on the dyno, several little issues showed up, air bubbles in the fuel line, long story short, the body shop I am guessing had stood the fuel tank on end when they had it out and the tygon syphon was curled up against the tank wall and hardened in its now dry environment, it was at fuel top level with a quarter of a tank!
    I went after it and discovered some more things, impermeable liner was in pieces, a chunk of it was stuck in the suction side primer bulb valve, nah, it cant be this easy!!
    And wtf??? the above deck fuel line was directly attached to the under deck line,,,, under the deck, this isnt right, the dang thru hull transition was never rigged right at the factory but they used that fitting to hook the two together!!, you bet, I drilled a hole in the splash well and did it right.
    Check that fitting out, the corrosion was allowing fuel to drip into the bilge!! and,, it was sucking air when the pulse pump when it was pumping fuel, AHA!! new fuel line, primer bulb and gave her a blast on the dyno,,,,,,, and crap!! it would lay down on me.

When you lose pressures under load,and there is no fuel in the air side, it is a compressor problem, so I pulled the head off of the compressor to discover a blown head gasket, you can see the dark area on the cylinder where it was blown and I remembered Al saying it was spitting a bit of moisture out when I had him looking for fuel indicating a bad diaphragm, now moisture is normal with air compressors, many of you have drained tanks on humid days, same deal only in a smaller package.
    Two new gaskets, and give her another pull on the dyno, great two times, laid down once, ran great, and laid down again, by now I am whizzed off, wth is going on???!!
    So while still being tortured on the dyno I removed the compressor suction line and nodda, no suction, no pressure bleeding back, so while still very warm to the touch I ripped the head off so I could see if somehow heat was causing a problem with the reeds, nothing obvious I will get back to it as I had other work that was pressing.

Two nights of wrestling with what was going on in my no sleep nights I went in early one morning and stared at that reed plate and it hit me, the center reed was missing its reed stop, got it !!!! but how in the world was that causing the problem?
    I took the air pressure regulator apart, tucked the pressure line in my cupped hand and with the other hand holding a blow gun, I blew 160 PSI shop air backwards through the fuel rail and I felt it hit my hand, that little piece had been bouncing around in the fuel rail occasionally blocking air off to the regulator!!!!!!!! SON OF A !!!!!!!
    Now here is the stupid part, I looked back at my pictures of the reed plate when I had the compressor head off and there it was but I missed it, I saw the blown gasket and didnt catch the obvious, insert Yosemite Sam cursing here….

New compressor and belt in place, fire up the motor and pressures where they should be, once it had some heat in the motor I pinned the throttle at high load on the dyno, I wanted this biatch to work!!!!
    The pressures never bobbled, Thank you God !!!!
    And so after buttoning it up,, the voices in my head that scream away my mental health had an idea, lets see how long it takes for John to find several floats, let me tell you, I was disappointed, it didnt take a week!!

I did several other little things to give it my personal touch, including a silly note in my MEDS report….. you will have to ask John about that hahahah.

And yes, I took another leap of faith, a five month process of securing everything I needed to secure my Suzuki marine dealership, I might do a write up on that journey this weekend.

Thanks all for the kind words everyone, yours truly, Sheldon.

Attachments:
    1. 20240301_110515-scaled.jpg

2. 20240301_104014-scaled.jpg

3. 20240222_160421-scaled.jpg

4. 20240115_085611-scaled.jpg

5. 20240216_115916-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Nice to see you chime in buddy. I enjoy reading your stories

MX1825

Awe shucks Sheldon that’s just a little piece of junk. That shouldn’t cause a problem. whistling

Good job Sheldon! applause

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I did several other little things to give it my personal touch, including a silly note in my MEDS report….. you will have to ask John about that hahahah.

He wrote the customer interrupted his toddy and barbeque on the weekend the rascal. rotflol rotflol

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Stupid question but why does a outboard motor have a compressor on it?
    Also what year and motor is this?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Also what year and motor is this?

It’s an 07 115 Merc Optimax Direct Injected 2 stroke. Sheldon could explain it better, but from what I could retain of his explanation is it uses compressed air to deliver the fuel into tiny pieces instead of a stream of fuel. Kind of like atomizing it so it burns better. It has a compressor on top of the engine with a belt driving it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Putting the pressure in high pressure direct injection (HPDI).

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

John how many hours does your outboard have on it?

Maybe Iowaboy can answer this, but is there really a way to know when the compressor on these outboards needs to be replaced…or do you essentially wait until it fails?

I run the same one on the fishing boat.

Thanks

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Maybe Iowaboy can answer this, but is there really a way to know when the compressor on these outboards needs to be replaced…or do you essentially wait until it fails?

Thanks

330 ish I have the exact number at home. I would think you wait for them to fail. Not sure honestly he said the belt was stretched out a bit also. The compressor new is $1800.00 he hooked me up with a low mile used one from someone he knows.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

WOW !!!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

Thanks

330 ish I have the exact number at home. I would think you wait for them to fail. Not sure honestly he said the belt was stretched out a bit also. The compressor new is $1800.00 he hooked me up with a low mile used one from someone he knows.

…Pretty confident I’ve got more hours on it than that.

When it failed, did it go into limp mode and still let you get back to the launch?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Hard to say exactly what happened to me and what to tell you to look for. When up on Kab it ran fine for 2 days. Then made a run out a couple miles, fished for a bit then decided to run further to another spot. Went to take off and it bogged out a little and then it felt like I was down a cylinder so headed back to the dock. Barely made it back it was running so bad. We ended up taking the plugs out they looked like crap, with some wd 40 and using sand paper and a brush from the BBQ we cleaned them up and put em back in and it cleared up and ran good. When I got it home I replaced the plugs and took it out to a local lake and this time it just felt like it did not have the power it should. So in my case yes I got it back to shore each time, not sure if they can fail in a worse manner than mine did. Hope this helps.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Sheldon is busy with actual work he said he will chime in later to answer your question Bucky.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Sheldon is busy with actual work he said he will chime in later to answer your question Bucky.

Busy? rotflol

Attachments:
    1. Old-7.jpg

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I appreciate it John! …and look forward to Sheldon’s insight.

(Knock on wood) The Opti has ran fine for me and not been any issue. The only things I’ve run into were the fuel line disintegrating, and I’ve went through a few sets of plugs as I troll with it quite a bit. Running the synthetic Amsoil injector oil has been a godsend though. You can hardly tell it’s a 2 stroke when idling.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.