I'm best off not commenting.

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

http://www.startribune.com/6-people-thrown-from-boat-into-minnesota-river/307262661/

MANKATO, Minn. — Authorities in south-central Minnesota say six people including two children were thrown overboard from a boat on the Minnesota River.

The Nicollet County sheriff’s office was notified of the accident north of Mankato around 12:45 a.m. Saturday.

The four adults and two children — ages 5 years old and 4 months old — were on a 16-foot boat that struck a partially submerged tree in the water. The boat capsized, throwing everyone overboard.

The boat’s occupants were separated before they were able to reach shore and call for help. No one apparently was wearing a life jacket.

Authorities say the baby was taken to a Mankato hospital. No one else needed to be treated for any injuries.

The call for help came in about 45 minutes after the accident.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya see it every year Brian, you get someone behind a motor, they feel like they have it together, everybodys smiling and this is what happens. The guys who are on the river enough knows this is what happens, you have to take your time until you learn the water and river and what its doing, slow down and take your time, you’ll get there soon enough and with no problems…

brad-o
    Mankato

I will comment for you. What parent takes a 4 month old out at that hour!!! The river is high and fast right now!!! I wonder what they were on??? I hope they get charged with child endangerment!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I will comment for you. What parent takes a 4 month old out at that hour!!! The river is high and fast right now!!! I wonder what they were on??? I hope they get charged with child endangerment!!!

Saw this on the news. Simply unbelievable. A 4 month old. On a river. At night. In a small boat. At 1245am. doah

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

This makes me mad…😡

Those poor kids. My 2 year old has never been up past 9pm, why were they on the water that late?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<blockquotjacketsass=”d4pbbc-quote”>
    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>brad-o wrote:</div>

Saw this on the news. Simply unbelievable. A 4 month old. On a river. At night. In a small boat. At 1245am. doah

Stupid and criminal. Life jackets are required by law for the kids.

Grouse

deertracker

I didn’t read the article but was hoping the time was an error. Not good.
    DT

Hungee

Darwin at its finest! I run this stretch of river multiple times a week for the last 7 years with $300 worth of lights on my boat and i still take every precaution and drive much slower at night even when i think i know that river! He had to be running fairly fast to capsize that boat with all the weight in it…Hopefully charges will be brought up and he never fishes the river again! Not like there is any big cats in there…right BK?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I just hope the kids involved are able to grow up, healthy, with all their limbs in tact, and become responsible members of the adult community,,,,,
    IN SPITE OF THEIR PARENTS !

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Must have been some alcohol and drugs involved I would think. Now else could you be so hah STUPID. doah doah doah !!! …rrr

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>brad-o wrote:</div>

and no life jackets…

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

BK, I’ll comment with what is in the news and from the FB chat on the KEYC-TV Facebook page on this article and asking a few questions and a few opinions:

First, Prayers for ALL involved, especially the 4-month old child.

It’ll be interesting to see the Details of this “Avoidable Accident” and near Tragedy if they are ever released.

Was the Boat (16 foot, most are Coast Guard at 5-people MAX. Weight Limit?), Over Loaded?

Did they have Lights?

Were they familiar with River Navigation?

Was the operator or any of the adults under the influence of Alcohol or Drugs?

At Minimum, I would bet the (Parents) may be tagged for Child Endangerment and Failure to have Life Preservers on the 2-children. Child Protection Services should be investigating.

Finding much of the same story on all the News media sources, although the local Mankato Media has these:

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/news/baby-hospitalized-after-boating-accident/article_afa9ba34-120a-11e5-8f44-bb24681f4e82.html

http://www.keyc.com/story/29313169/4-people-and-2-children-thrown-from-boat-on-minnesota-river

If you are a Facebook user, they comments to the story of the KEYC FB Page are typical of FB with some apparent Family members stating they did have Life Vest on, but took them off when they got to shore. The Baby was in a Child Car Seat that flipped upside down and the child sucked in water. Also states the baby was released after 4-hours. Says they were not drinking, from what sounds like a family member. They say there was only one-child on-board?

But, you have to use interpretive Grammar as there is quite a bit of poor grammar, mis-spellings and abbreviations with many “fu” & “stfu” in the posts from people with the last name “Keech”.

Prayers again for the Family and for Authorities as they work through this investigation.

tonkaiceman
    Hanover, MN

When I read this here is how my reaction went…

coffee shock ???

I hope the best for the children. Hopefully they will be able to fully recover.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If they weren’t intoxicated then it was just a misfortunate accident. Everyone should be able to take their children wherever they want, whenever they want within reason and a boat on the water sure isn’t unusal. How many times have we seen pics of fellow IDO’ers children on boats?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

If they weren’t intoxicated then it was just a misfortunate accident. Everyone should be able to take their children wherever they want, whenever they want within reason and a boat on the water sure isn’t unusal. How many times have we seen pics of fellow IDO’ers children on boats?

While I completely agree with you, there are some lines to be drawn.

I’m fairly liberal on rules when it comes to the kiddos, but safety isnt negotiable. Once there’s confidence that if capsized for whatever reason you can make it to shore on your own, then you can fish at night on the river, in lower current times, in the boat, life jackets(yes both!) at all times.

The memories I’ve made with my daughter so far fishing at night is priceless. Started from shore, then last year went to the boat a few times. All kids are different maturity and physically, but overall I couldn’t imagine a 4month old. That’s just silly endangerment.

brad-o
    Mankato

I find the parents actions outrageous. I have a six month old and could never justify taking him on that river at full bank. I am a dad so I must sacrifice my life pleasure and raise my son. When a buddy calls you have to say no. Get use to it you are a father! So many things the parent or parents did wrong to get to this point. We will get a stupid law form these parents that can’t use good judgement

Jonesy

After reading the facebook comments and looking at profiles those kids have no hope.

Chris H

This is absolutely disgusting… Hopefully the child is placed with a new family who has a little more regard for their safety..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

MANKATO, Minn. (KMSP) –

An infant was sent to the hospital after a boat capsized on the Minnesota River near Mankato on Friday night.

The 4-month-old has had been treated and released by Tuesday. There were 6 people in the boat that hit a submerged tree north of Mankato while boating along the river. The four adults, a 5-year-old child and the infant were thrown into the water, the Nicollet County sheriff’s department said. Somehow, they made it out safely and onto a nearby sand barge. One of the adults ran through the woods, stopped a motorist of Highway 169 and called 911.

Sheriff’s officials believe none of the occupants were wearing life jackets and the case is currently under review to determine if any of the adults on board will be charged. In Minnesota, any children under 10 years of age must wear life jackets on moving boats at all times.

Obviously I wasn’t there but… I trust they will “review” this thoroughly.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.