Shabbona Lake – Northern IL

• pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I wanted to give the boat a test run close to home, before I take it south for the next nine months, so I hit Shabbona solo today. The lake was absolutely packed, as was the shoreline. The wind was whipping out of the north and the sky was bright blue, as I launched at about 9am.

The surface temperature was 62, and the NMZ and campground area were packed, so I headed away from the crowd. I relied on my electronics and found fish, alot of fish, in 25′-30′ of water. I had my way with the crappie in that lake for five hours today. I literally caught hundreds of crappies! The best part of it is I never had any live bait. I used strictly plastics today. The hot baits today were Bobby Garland Baby Shad and Midsouth tubes. Colors were electric chicken and smoke glow. I used a bunch of colors but those two were the hottest. The chicken was best until about noon and then the smoke glow tubes were by far the best. I cast the chicken baby shad and vertical jigged the smoke.

The smartest thing I did today was rely on my electronics. I moved frequently and looked for larger schools of fish. I was a bit surprised that I found them as deep as I did. They were suspended 10-12 feet down in 25-30 feet of water. I would not have found those fish if I had not relied on my electronics.

The daily limit for Shabbona is 10 per day and I ended up with some decent fish, with the biggest being 12.5″. I cleaned 8 females and 2 males. The females are no where near ready to drop eggs.

I usually stay away from Shabbona, because it gets so crowded, but I am so glad I went. Now I am tuned up for Shelbyville!!

I took the picture with my phone and it isn’t the best. By the glow, you’d think I was fishing closer to the nuclear plant…

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I worked in Aurora back in 1975 for 3 years when they were first forming the lake, and never made it out there. It was, I believe, off limits for a few years while the stocked fish took hold, and I moved out to other states.
    Sure used to be some nice Muskies that I’ve seen pics in different articles from time to time.
    Jack

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

I loved fishing that lake years ago with Ray Hanson
    we would fish the brush piles and the underwater road bed and bridge
    we used to get muskies by the handicap pier by fishing white baits
    we called them “undertaker muskies” they would hang around there and eat the dead or dying panfish that were gut hooked and thrown back
    glad to hear the lake still puts them out

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.