What do you do…

• roger_k
    St. Cloud, MN

When you have water in your portable fish house? I have a (2)man Frabil Prowler GT with removable bucket seats. There’s been times when I’ve pulled my house onto the lake with the wheeler and didn’t have the cover on it and eventually I’ll get quite a bit of snow in the bottom of the sled…which soon turns to water. Currently, I take the seats out, tip ups, rattle reels, additional poles, and anything else in the house out and tip it upside down to drain the water. Have any of you guys drilled 1/4″ holes in the bottom for the water to drain, or would this just cause problems when trying to pull the house.

Thanks

fieds
    ottertail county

i take my gear out then tip it to the bow side to let the bulk drain, then sop up the remaining water with the wifes bath towels……..i mean shop towels. drilling holes sounds like you’ll have daily snow issues. would also get your vehicle wet depending what you or your buddies haul it with.

fieds

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

We drilled 3 3/8 holes in the back (non sloped) side 1/8 up
    from the bottom. if we get water/snow we just tip it up a little and it drains out it also drains out as we tow it.
    (just like pulling the plug on a boat under way) With the holes on the back towing it is no trouble with snow plugging
    up the holes works great

jsrevermann
    Central MN

I wouldn’t drill any holes in the sled. It would just make your problem worse. It’s amazing how much snow would come in through a little hole if you drag your house across the lake.

Jake_A

Shop-vac works wonders…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I wouldn’t drill any holes in the sled. It would just make your problem worse. It’s amazing how much snow would come in through a little hole if you drag your house across the lake.

I like the idea of having the drains when needed but water will also come in those holes when you’re set up in slush. There’s times that the water will be 6″+ deep on some of the larger lakes in MN… I wouldn’t want that running into my house every time I stopped.

Now a one way valve would be ideal. Of course they would freeze up so they would rarely work. I think I’ll just keep tipping the shack on its side to drain.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I drilled holes in a sled I had at one time, although it bugged me to do it, in the end it worked good. Used little rubber plugs unless I wanted it to drain, had about 15 of them in the bottom of the sled at all times.

roger_k
    St. Cloud, MN

Thanks for the input —

I’m really debating on putting the 1/4″ holes in the sled or not. I like the idea of putting the holes in the back of the sled so it doesn’t fill up with snow when your pulling it. I’m thinking if I kept the holes up 4 or 5″ from the bottom of the sled that stopping in water wouldn’t be a big issue and I would only have to lift the front of the sled up (if full of water) on a 5 gallon bucket to let the water drain out. Sorry for rambling, this is me thinking out loud…

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

How bout a bilge pump?

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Other than just deal with it, or tip your house over, theres not much you can do. If I have a lot of water in there, I just deal with it for today, and when i am fishing tomorrow, ill leave my house outside or in my truck and all the water will freeze and then the ice is easy to get out and your left with a dry house for the next day, but that dosent really solve the problem for today does it? lol

Jakes idea of a towel or sponge is worth a try. They make some sponges that will hold a ton of water!

mnwalleyeangler

use a drain plug for the boat! you still might have to tip it just not all the way over!

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

I drilled holes in my larger house in the back 1/2 inch up and installed removeable cap plugs that i can get at work. i drilled 3/8th diameter holes and put the plugs in from the inside. I also use od cap plugs for my vexilar ultra pack battery charging posts to keep the debris out of these also.Tip shack up and let it run out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.