Showdown Ice Troller Review/La Crosse Area Report

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I have been chomping at the bit to get out and put the new Showdown Ice Troller through some paces so, why not do it in Blizzard conditions.
    Mikehd and I headed for an area we know to be holding some wood. Holes were drilled through 3 inches of ice only to have a good 2-3inches of water come to the top. The hand held Troller was fired up with 6 AA batteries and the transducer was drop in each hole while looking for the structure and fish. The unit worked flawlessly showing us we landed on the wood pile and then tattled on fish off to the sides of the structure. Not that we had to do a lot of searching but, this compact unit which is virtually weightless was a treat to use while checking to see what was below the ice while bouncing from hole to hole.

Once the Showdown had us on fish it was time to button up the Otter and see how the Ice Troller preformed while using the Performance Pack. The hand held unit slides into a cradle with ease and plugs into a 12v battery saving the AA’s while using the Digital unit for fishing. The first test of the year was to see how the Showdown preformed side by side with the MarCum LX-5

With the Showdown in place the LX-5 was fired up and the NB was selected, as expected the Showdown loaded up with interference. With one push of the Noise button and the Up button the sonar unit cleared right up and the LX-5 was picking up interference which one push of the IR button cleared up. Both units were now operating 3-3.5ft apart without any interference at all as you can see in the pictures.

Now it was time to see how the Showdown Ice Troller operated as a second unit while dropping jigs. My first finding was you really need to dial in the SENS/Sensitivity button to fine tune your target separation. A setting of 4-5 with gill Pills, diamond Jigs and Slender Spoons was the ticket for seeing the baits and targets at a fine line. This was key for target separation which was critical for keeping the bait in the nose of a fish on this day because of a tough bite.

The vertical view is something totally new to me. I found myself at times moving the jig too much while watching the screen and not paying attention to the rod tip. It was a mental image problem for me and I’m sure the shortness of the Ice Troller screen comes in to play. It didn’t take long to get use to though.

The showdown was very easy to operate. The back light is sweet and the lettering on the buttons is nice and big making it easy on the peepers to see what it is you are doing while buttoned up in a dark shack. This unit will make for a great search tool and a second sonar unit with the performance pack to have on hand at an affordable price. The Showdown Ice Troller preformed very well on it’s first outing.

As for the fishing, the plan was to run to Stoddard but with blizzard conditions we thought it best not to head to the other side of La Crosse. Mike and I found gills in 10fow hangin’ around wood. A number of 4-7.5 inch fish were caught with keepers not so active. We both still put together a fish fry. Mine consisted of 7 gills 8 inches plus and one dandy crappie. All my keepers fell prey to a 1/16oz CJ&S Silver/Red Slender Spoon tipped with a waxie. 2 waxies and they wouldn’t touch it.
    The snow is not doing the ice any favors. There was a lot of water on the top when we left and draggin’ sleds was getting tough.

Hunker down and stay safe during the storm.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Nice review and fish Bret

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

It was great being out on the ice for the first time this season although sitting in 2 – 3″ of water/soup was not the best but……. we were fishing. It was pretty quiet over in the Clark Otter yesterday – Bret was busy playing with his new toy. I kept 6 nice gills, 1 crappie and 1 perch and they were yummy last night for supper. Happy Shoveling.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Thanx for the showdown report Bret. I know that Mike and yourself have been chompin at the bit to test some things out. That unit looks to be right up your alley. Bret Clark with a fish finder in his pocket spells T R O U B L E for the fish

Cam and I were all fired up for a Stoddard run to check out our new camera but nooooooooooooooooooooo….old man winter is being a %ick head about it

Glad you made it out and nabbed a few guys

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Bret great report and fish and using the showdown . Thanks for the info , might have to get one.

From Jeff

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Nice report and update on the Troller Bret

It was nasty yesterday

bee
    Maine

Hope this is not a double post. I also used my Troller today. I Iced my first crappies with it. I used it mounted to a leg mount i made. It works good. Takes some getting used to after the years of using a flasher.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Nice set up Bee. I think having the Troller strapped to my leg would drive me nuts however.
    Being able to plug into a 12v battier is another great option for them long weekends on the ice. I also have been using the rechargeable AA’s.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So what is the standard type float or transducer positioning method that comes with the showdown troller. Great reports guys.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Nice write up Bret

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

So what is the standard type float or transducer positioning method that comes with the showdown troller.

There is a rubber stop that comes with the performance pack. It sits in a holder just like the MarCum Flashers. The holder has a grove cut into it so the cord can be easily removed when using the unit as hand held.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks Bret. I see Bee must of added a foam float to his. That leg holder looks pretty neat. What might even be cooler yet is having it sown right into a leg pocket.

bee
    Maine

Quote:

Thanks Bret. I see Bee must of added a foam float to his. That leg holder looks pretty neat. What might even be cooler yet is having it sown right into a leg pocket.

Its half a float and a Vex stopper

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

So is the mark at the 7.5 foot depth a fish and the mark lower down your jig? The higher mark looks to be a bigger object, is that correct?

Debating between the showdown and the LX3, which would you recommend?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Both units are showing the Bottom at 10ft. The showdown is showing my jig at 7ft with a fish coming up from the bottom. The jig looks wide because it was before I realized how crucial it was to have the sensitivity set properly. Once the sens. Was set properly the jig line was nice and thin.
    The LX-5 is showing my jig at 8ft with a fish at 9ft.
    I hate making up the minds for others. Everyone has a different budget an idea of what they expect there equipment to do. The best way for me to answer the question is pretend it is I who is making the purchase. Myself and if it was to be my first sonar and between the Troller and LX-3… I’d be buying the LX-3. I’m still a fan of the 3 colors and you will love the movable zoom.

However if you are a fan of the new vertical Showdowns and it is going to be your only sonar for fishing with you might want to check into the Showdown 5.6 or the Dual Beam, again this all depends on a persons budget.

The Troller is a great unit for running a gunning looking for the spot you might want to camp on. It has also made a great backup/second sonar on hand for myself. I’m just one of those lucky guys were the wife doesn’t mind me collecting toys

Hope this helps…..If not, fire away with any questions you have or anyone else has. Like I said, this was the first trip with the Showdown Troller and for the reasons I made the purchase it has been a great unit so far!

abe
    La Crosse

Nice report Bret. Hope to spend some time on the ice with you and Mike this season.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks Brett, I liked your report. I haven’t tried the slender spoons for gills yet. Next time out I’ll give them a try. I use the LX5 and love it. I’ve been curious about the troller though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.