4 stroke or 2 stroke solo

• steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

I,m torn between the solo 2 stroke and the 4 stroke strikemaster lite, I,m leaning toward the 4 stroke but a little concerned about the lite weight material used in the auger, any reports or problems with any breaking, or is it possible to put a lazer steel auger on the 4 stroke.thanks for any and all replys.

da-z-man

I have the 4 stroke and and so does my dad and neither of us have had any issues.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

If you have time and do some searching here in past posts, you will see and find out that anyone who has a 4 stroke auger has NOTHING bad to say, with the little bit of homework that I have done outside of IDO I cant find anything bad either.

If the funds were there I would jump on one myself, but its been very rough month for myself and my youngest daughter and with Xmas yet to come, my 1yr old Mag will go another ice season.

Lets us know what you decide.

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

If you get the 4 stroke get the steel auger trust me , other than that I love it!!!!

stevenoak

I’ve hauled my strike lite in the back of my pickup,sliding around with no issues.Don’t think ice sticks as bad as my old metal auger.As far as he 2 or 4 stroke thing.I have owned both,don’t know why they still make the 2 stroke,4 has plenty of power and way less smoke and no mixing

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

is it possible to put a lazer steel auger on the 4 stroke.thanks for any and all replys.

All Strikemaster augers will fit all Strikemaster powerheads. I regularly used my 224 8″ auger on my Strikelite and it performed very well.

Bowjunkie

hello James, I don’t know if you remember me we met breifly at the Lacrosse ride&Drive this past summer. Anyway hi.

I was just curious why tou were using the steel auger on your Strikelite?

Bryce

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

hello James, I don’t know if you remember me we met breifly at the Lacrosse ride&Drive this past summer. Anyway hi.

Bryce

Hey Bryce,

The 224 auger bit is the 4 blade auger from Strikemaster that has now been discontinued due to high production costs. It was / is the fastest drilling auger I’ve ever owned and when I would run into thick ice “over 20” or more) I swapped out the composite for the 224 to get through the hole a little quicker. The composite worked fine. The 224 just worked a little better.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Quote:

Quote:

Bryce

Hey Bryce,

The 224 auger bit is the 4 blade auger from Strikemaster that has now been discontinued due to high production costs. It was / is the fastest drilling auger I’ve ever owned and when I would run into thick ice “over 20” or more) I swapped out the composite for the 224 to get through the hole a little quicker. The composite worked fine. The 224 just worked a little better.

How about taking a older 25:1 gear box and put a Solo motor on it. I figered it would spin the bit at almost 440 rpm’s with no load. Should work the gear boxes look the same the new ones have a ring of some sort to adapt the Solo motor

travp
    Blaine , Mn

I’ve heard of the flighting busting on the 4stokes when drilling through thick ice and not clearing the hole enough. Nothing bad about the motor though. The solo will be faster though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.