Shallow water gills!

• gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Hit the lake about 2pm this afternoon. When I got to the lake I found 2 perm houses set up where I had been fishing the past week alone Oh well goes to show you can’t sit on 1 spot in the same house night after night and not have someone set up camp while your away. I like to call this “monkey see, monkey do”. Time for plan “b” which was sight fishing gills in shallow water, 6ft to be exact. Turned out this was a good idea. Got my holes drilled, house set up, and cleaned the slush out my holes. Let everything settle for 10min and took a peek down the hole. Saw a ton of small sunfish and a couple that looked to be 7-9″ or so. Dropped a small black jig tipped with plastic down and nothing, couldn’t even get them to look at it. A dozen different jigs later, found they wanted a very small blade style jig tipped with a waxie. It was on after that. Ended up having to drill 6-8 holes to stay on top of the fish. I would get 4-6 fish out of a hole and have to move after that. Most of the 30 sunnies I caught were in the 5-6″ range with 10 making it into the bucket that were 7-9″ and 1 10″ to boot. I had an absolute blast “sight” fishing these gills. If I had not been able to see the fish I would not have caught nearly as many as I did.

On my way off the lake, I saw a friend had moved his house out over some deep water and stopped in to say Upon entering I saw he already had a mess of nice gills in the house and decided to sit with him for awhile. I sat with him from 5:30 to 9:30 and we caught another 12 sunnies and 25 or so crappies.

All in all not a bad day. Headed back out to the shallow water in the morning before the sun rises to put the smack down on some of the gills I saw in there today. I saw half dozen that had to be pushing 11-12″, I know water makes things look big, but these fish dwarfed the ones I was catching Here is a pic of the gills we caught today.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.