First fish ice fishing ever.

• mcarlsen

Being a resident of Minnesota pretty much my entire life and growing up in the Duluth area I am a bit ashamed to admit that I have just now at the age of 27 made it out to the ice. Summer fishing has fast become an obsession over the last few years and the cold of the winter has had me itching to get out and throw a line in. This weekend I went out with some friends to Forest Lake to give my new found skill set a try on the ice. It was fairly slow going for the majority of the day a few small perch made cameos until this guy decided it was lunch time.

Not the biggest Northern I have caught but what an awesome new experience pulling it in on that small ice rod. It put up a good fight and I made sure to give him plenty of time and not horse him in. The rest of the day we were able to get on some decent eating crappies as the daylight dwindled. Needless to say I can’t wait to get back out on the ice!

damman
    Pepin county Wi

ec1
    NULL

Big thumbs up!
    I remember my first time ice fishing 4 or 5 years ago, and I skunked the first trip and was super discouraged. Next thing you know, you try to chase the skunk away and you end up fishing every weekend!

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Welcome to the addiction of ice fishing. Now get ready for the time on open water and you start thinking about the ice. LOL. Hope you have many more memories on the Ice and learn how to stay safe while out. Congrats on the first one and I hope many more. Mike AKA IceAsylum.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

You’re screwed now. You will never not want to fish year around. LOL Welcome aboard.

mcarlsen

Haha! Thanks everyone for the kind words. I have already been looking at what it would cost me to get a decent portable!

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

Haha! Thanks everyone for the kind words. I have already been looking at what it would cost me to get a decent portable!

And now it starts:
    Ice shanty
    Poles/ tipups
    Fish finder
    GPS
    Auger
    Better poles
    Better electronics
    Better ice shanty plus Quad or sled

You get the idea

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Perfect fish for the pickle barrel.

mcarlsen

Oh yes the wish list is never ending. So many things to buy! All in due time. In the meantime I need to find some experienced anglers in my area that are looking for company that don’t mind teaching me a thing or two!

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

McCarlsen congrats Youngblood, I’m sure we’ll see many more of your ice catchin’.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Great job! The fun has just begun! Congrats and welcome to IDO!

Bryan Myers

Congrats on your success on the ice, its always great to see people get there first fish through the ice and see that ice bug bite them and get them hooked on it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.