planing a trip or two HELP

• bigdaddyg
    north central indiana

If all things are (normamal) temp.s water levels and such, buy what day on your callander will you be on ice, and your location. here in the warsaw ind. area 1st ice late dec. thanks.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

Here at Mille Lacs Lake I have driven my truck on Cove Bay Thanksgiving weekend while other years not until Christmas. So I guess “normal” might be half way between the two extremes.

bigpike

Normal for Eau Claire area would be the first week of December for small to mid size lakes for walking. I would say Christmas time would be safe for planning a trip to this area.

Rikkus
    Union Grove WI

Jan 4th thru the 11th is the next annual ice fishing trip. Upper Red for 2 Days, Winnie and Area Lakes the next 4 days,… Hopefully, I’ll get on W’Bago in Dec. But I doubt there will be ice then. It’s been ugly the last few years.

Marbleeye
    Upper red lake

At red lake the last two years we have drove out our suzuki samurai”s with wheel houses behind them. Hoping for the best this year. Good luck fishing

jim-c
    Minot, ND

Up here in North Dakota, we typically get on smaller waters just before Thanksgiving. Devils Lake, usually before December 1st for walk out fishing. It’s going to be tremendous early ice perch bite up here, can’t wait!

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

I hope to get out on the hard deck the first or 2nd week of November. Giant cutts and brookies, can’t wait!

Marbleeye
    Upper red lake

Sorry about the previous post. I should have said he had all our wheel houses out by December 14th using our suzuki samurai’s. good luck fishing.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

My one caution would be just make sure you check with locals before you actually head out on the ice! Last year a few of the lakes I fish in northern WI were awfully late ice up, we could walk out on two-three inches only by the 2nd or third week (around the 12-15)of December. Guys not familiar with the lakes freezing dynamics earlier in the season looked at the calendar and just assumed by X-mas time the ice was good enough to drive on, as a result many vehicles went through. So just double check before heading out. I would say for central/north-central WI lakes second to third week is a safe bet that you can find good ice somewhere.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.