Lost gear horror stories

• Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

Up until a couple days ago I thought I had lost 2 jig boxes with hundreds worth of jigs combined and it was killing me. Luckily they showed up again!

What kind of stuff have you lost of thought you lost on the ice?

stevedobie
    Central, MN

My son can’t find his right now as well.

ntw
    Eastern MT

I watched a friend’s gear go sailing across the lake last year when a ~70 mph gust slammed us out of nowhere. Figures he lost around $200 worth of jigs. I’ve never seen a power auger sliding across the ice until that day.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Not on ice but dry land last summer. Left my 10′ Thorne Bros. custom carp rod with a Quantum Energy reel on top of my truck and drove off. $350.00 combo. Noticed it in short order, retraced my steps, and someone else obviously found it before me.
    I know you are not reading this….but to the dumbfacejerkbutt who found my rod that reads “custom made for Jeremy Liebig ” on it.. Return it now or shall a lump of coal appear in your stocking!

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

In high school I stored all of my bow hunting clothes in a garbage bag to keep them scent free. My dad accidentally threw both bags away!!!

Ryan

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Not fishing related, but in college we were wading through a beaver invested slough heading to one of our favorite duck holes. I tripped over some sucken beaver debris and went under, luckily one of my buddies pulled me back up from the abyss. Only to come back to the surface with no shotgun, after several minutes what seemed like hours and dozens of gun-like sticks we were able to retrieve it. Still shot a limit of ducks that day and still use that gun. Gotta love the Remington 870 express…

pass0047
    Pool4

Had problems with a 15 horse motor and after the 3rd time was anxious to get it on the boat and test it. Put it on the boat took it for test ride and realized I was in too big of hurry and failed to tighten it on the transom. It flipped off and sunk in about 10 feet of water. Was lucky enough to use a grappling hock and drag and pull it up. Still hear about that all the time from family.

Took it straight to a mechanic and it work just fine.

geoffrey

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

My buddy has lost 3 shock collar transmitters over 5 years in North Dakota. Each time we have done a ton of searching, but never came up with them. Last year I was walking along a fenceline and found one of them smashed up in a tilled up field.

I lost a bottle of Schnapps on Lake of the Woods one time. We got back to shore and unloaded the gear and I noticed it was gone. Came back up the next weekend and was trying to find the same spot without a GPS. The bottle was sitting right where I left it, so we found the Schnapps and the fishing spot.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

2 years ago, I lost a pretty pricey CRKT folding knife. I tore our house up looking for it. Looked all over the garage. Scoured the yard. The following spring, I found it in my mother-in-law’s yard when her pile of snow from the plow melted!

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Last winter lost a bag of six tip-down rods. My buddy swore he watched me put them in the car after a poor day of fishing, but never found them. Someone found some and hopefully are catching fish with them. This year I made some new ones and I’m ready again. This year, I plan to write my name and number on the bag…

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

I was out of work in 2009 and found myself reading lots of forums and newspapers and saw a post on HSO in the lost forums about a lost Clam Ice shanty that fell out of the bed of a truck. Was flipping through the local free classifieds newspaper for Wright/Carver county and a guy had a Found classified for an ice shanty. Some time had lapsed, but sure enough the shanty found it’s owner.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

A few years back a buddy and me took an old aluminum boat with a 50s era Johnson 5HP out on the river. The brass fuel line split on us downstream of the launch, and we sort of cobbled it back togethere with celophan wrapped tightly with fishing line. 90 plus degree day, no wind, limping upstream for about an hour and the gas fumes had pretty much rendered us both with a good case of the ‘duhs’. Unloaded rods onto the shore so we could flip the little boat into the trailer and drove away.

About 2 days later realized that 3 rods were just left at the river bank at the 694 ramp in Fridley. Goodbye fishing poles.

ozzyky
    On water

I lost a couple hundred in ice tackle last year on the Mississippi. Tough terrain getting to the area. Must of fell out. Someone got a great find. Still sick about it.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I lost a new pack of 4.5mm Tungsten jigs from Custom Jigs & Spins. They must have fallen out, reason why I found that I lost them is I told my dad where we caught some fish and he went out the next morning only to find a pack of 4.5mm Tungsten jigs and a few fish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Anyone want to claim the outboard that was found on P4 using a Marcum 825sd?

It’s still in 15 feet of water.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Anyone want to claim the outboard that was found on P4 using a Marcum 825sd?

It’s still in 15 feet of water.

Put a treasure map in the classifieds.

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

Quote:

I lost a new pack of 4.5mm Tungsten jigs from Custom Jigs & Spins. They must have fallen out, reason why I found that I lost them is I told my dad where we caught some fish and he went out the next morning only to find a pack of 4.5mm Tungsten jigs and a few fish.

Those 4.5 CJ&S Tungies are hard to find. That had to be a long night!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

A few years ago I was fishing with my dad, standing outside the house hole hopping, when I hear some quick movement inside the shack followed by a four letter word. He had set one of my nice TB rods down on the floor of the shack with a closed bail and next thing you know he heard it start to move then shoot down the hole just as he reached for it

The next day I was back in the same area but about 50 ft over fishing with a jigging rap when it felt like I hooked into some weeds. When reeled up it wasn’t weeds but rather fishing line and what do you know if I didn’t reel in the set-up that had gone down the hole with an 18″ walleye still attached!

Todders

I don’t want to talk about it! !

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Lost everything out the back of my Pickup. It was a while back but I posted about it.

IDO Post

trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

I lost my glasses. The had fogged up when I went in my ice shack so I put them on my head. I was turning around to sit down and the flew off my head and right into the hole. The wife was not very happy.

tbrooks11

When we go up to my families cabin, my family has to decide whether to bring up our fishing boat or our jet ski. Im the only one in the family that enjoys fishing.. and we are on a rather poor fishing lake, so the family chose the jetski. but we brought up a canoe for fishing measures. When we got there, the fish were biting like crazy, in a location that is nearly impossible to get to by canoe. so we loaded all of our fishing stuff into the canoe, grabbed a rope and pulled the canoe to this “hot” spot. Eventually the canoe started to sway back and forth and it ended up going under. Along with our poles, a few tackle boxes, and cooler full of drinks!

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

I was fishing with a buddy in northern wi about 5 years ago. We where out after dark with battery nav lights. We heard a splash, look around a few minutes then saw the white light about 15 feet down.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Quote:

Last winter lost a bag of six tip-down rods. My buddy swore he watched me put them in the car after a poor day of fishing, but never found them. Someone found some and hopefully are catching fish with them. This year I made some new ones and I’m ready again. This year, I plan to write my name and number on the bag…

Last year, I too had a poor day of fishing until I came across a bag full of tipdown rods. I posted here on IDO, on Craigslist, and the paper. No reply. Tell me where you lost them and I’d be happy to return them…however, I did give 3 away to friends. I could ask for them back, I guess. Can I keep the bag? Nice one!

dld24

Up at LOW last year my buddy passed out with his phone next to him woke up and it was gone..No where to be found in the house…I’m assuming a wally is surfing the net on it as we speak

foulpole18
    North Branch, MN

Lost 22 beers, bottle of Jack Daniels and 12 pack of coke. Set a Coleman extreme cooler on the back deck of my buddies boat. Few hours go by and he ask for a beer, I ask where he put the cooler. He goes back where it always sits. I say no it isn’t. After a little bit of swearing we go into search mode. 2 hrs of looking for a grey and white cooler in white caps is a bit@h.

Some lucky guy I’m sure found it washed up on shore. Bet he thought it was his lucky day!

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Watched my iphone as it was lit up drop into 18′ of water as is slipped out of my jacket pocket when i was setting the hook on a nice Walleye.

Lost the Walleye as well as the phone.

Dropped the camera down to see it laying on the bottom of the lake. Was more bumbed out about loosing the Walleye!

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Lost my wedding ring 4 years ago while i was working in the yard. Last spring I was planting a hosta in the front flower bed and I hear a “tink”. Sure nuff there it is under the mulch.

gillfisher
    God's country - Wisconsin

Had a bad year a couple of years ago, ice fishing my smart phone and 2 week old ipod touch went down the hole at the same time in 40 feet of water.

The following spring I bought a St.Croix Legend and put a Pflueger Patriarch on it, FIRST time out I set it on the gun wale to rearrange the front of the boat; when I turned around it was gone!!!! Tried for two hours to snag it to no avail.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.