North Western WI Ice

• Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

I am hoping to get on the ice for the first time this weekend but this snow and lack of Ice has me concerned. What are you guys seeing out there for ice thickness and snow depth?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Turtle Lake, WI. Not great. There were some guys walking on the S end of Upper Turtle Dec 3rd weekend. I tried Lower Turtle and was able to break trough the ice while holding onto the dock. I would think all this snow has flooded the area lakes with slush. I haven’t had a chance to walk down to the lake and check in the last 2 days. Working late at work and snow removal at home.

olddogfishing

Most the lakes from Ashland on down to Rice lake are good with 3-6 inches

bigpike

I would suggest Minocqua / Tomahawk area. Smaller lakes have 3-5″ of ice. They only had about 3″ of snow from the storm

bigpike

I guess that is more north central but its the best area at the time for ice fishing…

taz
    Frederic wi

I’m from the Frederic wi area and Sunday there was 2-3″ of ice on smaller lakes. I think with the 7″ of snow the lakes have water on them and unsafe to be on.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

I would suggest Minocqua / Tomahawk area. Smaller lakes have 3-5″ of ice. They only had about 3″ of snow from the storm

bigpike:

Threw a dozen perch in a pail this a.m. and fished for the first time last night. A bay on Lake Minocqua that had 3″ maybe 4″ of ice. 2″ of snow on top so hopefully things will get better than worse. Was on a smaller lake on the County Highway “J” corridor this a.m. and caught the perch. ‘Tween 4″ and 5″ in a bay there and have made not travel attempts to any main lake portions of any lakes as of yet.

Mark

ajs
    Mellen,WI

I wont have any ice reports for ashland county lakes til this weekend.

Ajs

bigpike

Coming up for Christmas to stay at the in-laws on Nokomis. Hopefully the will be on

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Stopped and talked with some guys who walked out from the landing on Lower Turtle. They said they had 3″ of “cloudy” ice. Little snow on top. Looks like most the snow slushed up and froze. Should be some safe ice by this weekend if these mid teens temps hold all week.

jmarksman
    Chequamegon Bay Apostle Islands, WI

Most of the small shallow lakes Bayfiels Co had 4+ of solid clear ice, Around the Iron River, Delta, and close by areas they only got a little more than 6 inches of snow. Just got all my pike gear set for some weekend action. Ill keep you posted with my findings.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

Thanks for the report Mark, I was wondering what there was for ice up there. Mike

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Coming up for Christmas to stay at the in-laws on Nokomis. Hopefully the will be on

bigpike:

I know they are fishing Nokomis now and doing pretty well, those that know it anyway.

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Thanks for the report Mark, I was wondering what there was for ice up there. Mike

I know your fav is being fished right now, but haven’t heard any report of fish being caught, tho I am betting that they are.

Mark

bigpike

Thanks Mark, not much water in it so the fish are pretty limited to the original channel. I have done well at the mid lake humps for walleye with tip ups in Christmas past so that is were I will begin. Either that or try Mohawksin. I might come up a day or two early if ice does not improve around here. It is killing me plincking buttons on this computer when I should be fishing prime time ice

smartysmitty

Smaller lakes around Minong area have walkable ice. Was on almost 4 inches on Red Lake this morning.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

2″-5″ of ice on the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage. Caution is advised as there are some thinner areas.

trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

Heard from a resident of Wapo that there is unsafe ice on the north end and open water on the south end.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Guys are fishing out in front of the landing. Must be good ice out there. Walked out in front of the cabin and found 2.5″ of ice. The bottom half is clear and the top half is cloudy slush.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I’m going to check Altoona Saturday morning. Butch’s Bay in Menominee should be good to go.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

Mark The Dains are going to be up the weekend of Jan. 12th and we are going to fish in the Rainbow Shores Tourney. Are you tending bar at Fibbers yet? We may stop in. We are staying in Minocqua Fri and Sat. night. Mike

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Mike:

Thanks for the mail. I have a fishing tourney on the TFF that weekend, but I do have to work at Fibbers.

As for the rest of the week, I fished Squirrel twice, Minocqua, and an unamed wilderness lake. Ice formation was very neglible during that time. All places fished had 4″ ice along the shorelines or in the bays. I HAVE NOT attempted to get to main lake areas. Our bigger lakes still could be fished from a boat!!!

Heard horror stories of those trying to get shacks out with wheelers. Can’t do it yet unless you really know where you are going!!! And then you probably are going to go through.

Mark

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Altoona was a mess Sunday morning after the rain on Saturday, the good part is no snow in what little ice that was there.

bigpike

Everything will start to lock up now

ajs
    Mellen,WI

Lakes in the mellen area were sketchy and you had to check each lake as you go. I fished 2 lakes that had 3 to 5 inches of good ice and checked 2 others that i couldnt get on. Weekend total for two guys was 27 crappies and gills with the biggest crappie going 13.75 and gill was 10.5 plus one bonus 18 inch eye.

Ajs

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

This will be my last report for the Turtle Lakes. With the sub-teen temps the last 2 days and the fact the lake is snow free and ice covered. I feel confident walking across the lake late this week without concern.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.