Can’t ask for a much better day.

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Louie and I figured we’d hit the ice today in search of some Walleye and Sauger. We would have preferred to be up at the dam bobbing away in a boat but I am boatless at this moment. So Mississippi ice will have to do. The weather was absolutely beautiful. The only way it could be better would be to warm up and melt this darn ice.

We arrived at first light to find an extremely thick fog. We geared up and walked out to our predetermined destination. We could hear augers in the distance but once the fog cleared we were shocked to see a hundred or so houses circling us.

The highlight of the day were the two guys who went running past us trying to beat us to “the spot”.

This bite was fast and sporadic for a brief period of time. If you weren’t set up and ready to roll, chances were you were going to miss it.

Walking off the ice we ran into a fellow fisherman who proceeded to tell us he caught “five keepers”. When we got back to the landing there was a CO checking everyone. Somehow this guy’s 5 fish miraculously grew into 12 fat saugers. I guess fisherman really can’t help but lie.

Talking to the CO and other fisherman it sounds like most people did the same. Picked up a couple keepers, missed a couple and had a ton of lookers showing up on the graph.

Along with some nice sauger we managed to land a 15.25″ White Bass, a 12″ perch and a slimy cat.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

Nice catch, I also like the saying at the bottom of your post!!

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

nice mixed bag

toxic11

Sound like a awesome day. What did the walleye bite on.

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

Quote:

Sound like a awesome day. What did the walleye bite on.

No walleye were caught on this outing…the saugers can be caught on plain jane hook with split shots and minnow under bobber…perch pattern jigging raps..tipped with minnow head

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.