Which rod locker/case do u use and why?

• r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Im curious to see which rod cases everyone uses. I want to get another and have been looking into otter but seems like u cant store much in them. They look to protect the best, but not for tackle boxes. What are a some of your guys opinions on this?

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

I like my otter I can fit 5 rods in mine it seems like someone posted a cool picture of a rod case from sport show in minneapolis a while back

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

I bought 2 FRABILL rod lockers for Xmas.Pretty nice cases for the money.I bought mine mail order from Fleet Farm.Hold quite a few combos and have a bunch of velcro inserts to divide the case up and hold your rods in place.

arklite881south

Kayle….The Otter Rod Box gets my vote hands down here. I had a group of 4 out yesterday that needed rods. Needless to say I packed a few fishing sticks. I had 8 rods in my Otter hard case. I haven’t broken a rod in the last couple years since picking up this hard sided case. Beyond rod protection you don’t have that “Popcorn Ball” of fishing rods when you open it up that leaves anglers cursing a creation. They are just ready to roll. My advice is find another small storage concept for your tackle and protect those expensive ice sticks with the best.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I really like the Otter box, but it is only 40″ long. I opted for a gun case. I have 42″ to 48″ rods for hole-hopping and need those graphite blanks protected during travel. I saw the Otter Box runs about $70.00 to $90.00 depending on where you go. I pick up double gun cases for low $40’s. At nearly half the price, its a better solution for myself.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I bought an arrow hard case for $25.00 off Amazon, I can carry 6 rods in it and it works great.

Ed

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I use the Otter box, picked on up two seasons ago for $50. I can get 4-5 easy and can squeeze 6 spinning reel combos in if needed without overlapping. I know some guys carry fewer rods and also have some tackle in there.

I will say, most of the times I have carried 5-6 combos out I tend to only use 2-4 of them anyway.

Love the protection of the hard case given the cost of the ice rods these days.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I picked up a arrow case real cheap and lined it with foam. it works good for 4 rods, only draw back i have to fold in my reels every time since it is not as deep as the otter. I only spent about $25 bucks on the case and foam, if I was to do it again I think i would go with the Otter Box.

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Granrud I’ve seen yours in action and withstand a helluva beating on the ice and it does stand up and do the trick. I have thrown around the idea of the gun case as well. I may go with otter becaue of the well know name is ice fishing and possibly them standing behind their product if anything fails such has the hinges. I like to carry five rods and do have some very expensive reels that I definately do not want to get knocked around at all. I have the Ice Armour one right now and it’s like trying to put a puzzle together to get them in there and if something would fall on that case I still wonder if it would even protect them. My guess is no. I appreciate the comments.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was just at Gander and they are out of ice rod cases for the season. JOKE.

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Quote:

I was just at Gander and they are out of ice rod cases for the season. JOKE.

Good thing I would never spend a dollar at that store.

Keith Fischer

I tried different approaches,with similar results,finally
    broke down and bought an otter, problem solved.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Where’s a good online place to purchase one?

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

I’ve been using a cheap Plano single gun plastic case from Fleet Farm for 10 yrs that I think was $13. It easily holds 6 rigged rods.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thank you.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The Otter rod box is very durable. I watched a 3 year old use one as a stage to dance and jump on this weekend and it didn’t damage the rods. In a 12’X22′ fishhouse this was the place he chose to jump around. We should have filmed it.

ozzyky
    On water

Quote:

I really like the Otter box, but it is only 40″ long. I opted for a gun case. I have 42″ to 48″ rods for hole-hopping and need those graphite blanks protected during travel. I saw the Otter Box runs about $70.00 to $90.00 depending on where you go. I pick up double gun cases for low $40’s. At nearly half the price, its a better solution for myself.

Same here. I can get 6-7rods in there fully rigged. A few I do have to break the reel down. But the ten seconds it takes to do that is worth the $ saved in my opinion. It’s all personal preference what you can afford and the type of fishing you do.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I ended up finding it online for $10 cheaper than TB.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Ok I’m sold on otter first day I bought my otter rod box I walked on black ice and wiped out I’m a big guy and otter broke my fall I thought for shure I would have broke it I basicaly wwf style elbow planted full force otter from here on out

epick4

Just got the Keeper Deluxe for Christmas. Always thought a bucket was fine but snapped a tip or two on my St Croix rods. Also bought the Clam Trapper and was not satisfied with the canvas folding chair provided (torn canvas after minimal use, Clam replaced, new one also tearing out). I know the KD won’t be for everyone but it fit my combined needs of a rod locker, chair w/ back support, lays flat in the sled. Just my cents. Epick4

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.